The Case for Teaching Cursive Writing...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2012, 02:24 PM
The Case for Teaching Cursive Writing...
The Kansas State Board of Education is debating whether or not they should continue advocating the teaching of Cursive writing. (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/16/391...sive.html) Through the years, less and less time is being spent teaching Cursive Writing throughout the nations schools and many feel that the time to teach Cursive Writing is long gone - that Cursive writing is no longer relavent. Indeed, it is hard to find anyone under 35-years-old with a functional ability to write in the cursive script.

Is there a case for the continued teaching of Cursive Writing? Although I think I can make an air-tight case for the teaching of cursive writing, I haven't see anyone else do it. What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2012, 02:27 PM
RE: The Case for Teaching Cursive Writing...
I fundamentally oppose anything the Kansas State Board of Education proposes.

When I write, it is almost always in cursive because it is easier and quicker. Even if we convert to computers for our note-taking needs, it appears to be that we will be writing upon the screens rather than typing. So cursive is still valuable IMO.

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
19-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Some people use it. I still see it in TV commercials, on Hallmark cards, and from time to time in various other venues. I would be frustrated if I were illiterate with regards to cursive because these things would be written in English but illegible to me.

For that reason, I'm glad I learned it.

But I never personally use it. When I write by hand, I use non-cursive all-caps (I learned my best "lettering" technique from my several years of high school drafting classes and I've stuck with it ever since). But I rarely write by hand. I have computers everywhere, at work, at home, in my shirt pocket. Almost anything I need to write I type. And when I type I don't type in cursive.

So for that reason, I don't really care about cursive.

So no, I can't make a case for it. Maybe it helps teach discipline, or hand-eye coordination, or artsy-fartsy pretentious behavior, or whatever. Or maybe it's just a curiosity. If everyone stopped using it for "fancy" writing, I don't think I'd miss it at all.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
19-11-2012, 02:43 PM
(19-11-2012 02:33 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  But I never personally use it. When I write by hand, I use non-cursive all-caps (I learned my best "lettering" technique from my several years of high school drafting classes and I've stuck with it ever since). But I rarely write by hand. I have computers everywhere, at work, at home, in my shirt pocket. Almost anything I need to write I type. And when I type I don't type in cursive.
Do you take notes at meetings - or when talking to colleagues or customers - or at a business lunch?
19-11-2012, 02:44 PM
(19-11-2012 02:33 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Some people use it. I still see it in TV commercials, on Hallmark cards, and from time to time in various other venues. I would be frustrated if I were illiterate with regards to cursive because these things would be written in English but illegible to me.

For that reason, I'm glad I learned it.

But I never personally use it. When I write by hand, I use non-cursive all-caps (I learned my best "lettering" technique from my several years of high school drafting classes and I've stuck with it ever since). But I rarely write by hand. I have computers everywhere, at work, at home, in my shirt pocket. Almost anything I need to write I type. And when I type I don't type in cursive.

So for that reason, I don't really care about cursive.

So no, I can't make a case for it. Maybe it helps teach discipline, or hand-eye coordination, or artsy-fartsy pretentious behavior, or whatever. Or maybe it's just a curiosity. If everyone stopped using it for "fancy" writing, I don't think I'd miss it at all.
I agree comepletly, and I usually use 'block lettering' for anything of importance, anything semi-official such as homework or applications, official forms, but when I'm writing a note to my wife, or the grocery list or something like that I use standard notation, however illegible. This is what we are taught to use in the military, especially when making official log entries and filling out forms. The only time I use curisive it to sign my name, which I do often. I think I'd have some trouble if I was suddenly forced to write everything in cursive, it's something I learned in the forth or fifth grade, I would need a bit of practice to do it 'well'.

19-11-2012, 02:47 PM
I haven't written in cursive (other than signing my name) in close to 30 years. I don't see it anymore important to learn than something like Calligraphy. It can be an aesthetic art-form, but otherwise, it's not any more functional than writing normally.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
19-11-2012, 02:52 PM
The majority of signatures aren't even cursive anyway. They mostly look like this.

[Image: 2669351e4a3ba1701970206a8db7.jpeg]

The fuck is that supposed to be?

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
19-11-2012, 02:55 PM
(19-11-2012 02:47 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  It can be an aesthetic art-form, but otherwise, it's not any more functional than writing normally.
I would disagree. I can write a lot faster in cursive than someone can print. And...if I am at a meeting or talking to a colleague I can also keep my eyes on the subject for about 90% of the time while writing. In other words, I can focus and write simultanously - and this you can not do while printing.
19-11-2012, 02:57 PM
(19-11-2012 02:43 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(19-11-2012 02:33 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  But I never personally use it. When I write by hand, I use non-cursive all-caps (I learned my best "lettering" technique from my several years of high school drafting classes and I've stuck with it ever since). But I rarely write by hand. I have computers everywhere, at work, at home, in my shirt pocket. Almost anything I need to write I type. And when I type I don't type in cursive.
Do you take notes at meetings - or when talking to colleagues or customers - or at a business lunch?
I take my laptop to meetings like those. I also have a great memory so I rarely take notes; people often ask my why I don't take notes and then they are surprised when I fill in the blanks or correct mistakes in the notes they took. When I do take notes, I type them. It's faster. I type about 90 words a minute; I cannot write that fast in any type of writing (but admittedly I never learned shorthand which might be that fast, I don't really know).

I get it. Cursive is faster than printing. If you need to take notes, that's the way to go (unless you know shorthand). But, frankly, even in meetings like that, I see people all the time say "Hey, wait, lemme write that down" and the discussion stops while everyone waits for the person to write it down. If the meeting is important and the notes are important, then nobody minds getting it written down correctly.

One place I do take handwritten notes is when I interview an engineer. I bring his resume and a list of questions to the interview and I write down his responses. I don't ask him to stop so I can have time to take notes. I still manage to get by without cursive.

So I still maintain that if people stopped using it in the media, I would never use it or see it and wouldn't miss it at all.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
19-11-2012, 02:58 PM
(19-11-2012 02:55 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(19-11-2012 02:47 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  It can be an aesthetic art-form, but otherwise, it's not any more functional than writing normally.
I would disagree. I can write a lot faster in cursive than someone can print. And...if I am at a meeting or talking to a colleague I can also keep my eyes on the subject for about 90% of the time while writing. In other words, I can focus and write simultanously - and this you can not do while printing.
If that's the case, then I'd advocate learning short-hand so you can take notes even more quickly.

The reason it's been 30 years for me is when I went to college, I found I could take more readable notes with printing rather than using cursive. But that's me. I'd say this is more a preference issue, but then again, that's my preference to say. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fighting Against Teaching Kids False History In U.S. Schools WindyCityJazz 17 763 06-01-2014 07:41 AM
Last Post: Hafnof
  The Case for Voting Democrat Ryanshidyak 38 756 04-12-2013 12:53 PM
Last Post: frankksj
  The Secular Case Against Gay Marriage: Is there one? TwoCultSurvivor 49 2,100 02-07-2013 03:20 PM
Last Post: Revenant77x
Rainbow A new case against gay marriage. That Atheist Coydog 34 6,022 30-03-2013 11:39 PM
Last Post: bbeljefe
  In case anyone hasn't yet realized that Mitt's a motherfucking prick GirlyMan 22 1,232 18-09-2012 05:56 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan