The Case for Teaching Cursive Writing...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2012, 06:58 PM
RE: The Case for Teaching Cursive Writing...
(19-11-2012 05:11 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  Only one problem, you lack an argument as to why they should teach it.

She probably can't read it, because you decided to develop your own "STYLE". Another reason this shit is useless btw...no one else can read it!
Some very good arguments have been made in this thread as to why Cursive should be taught and I suggest you read them. Also, no one who really uses cursive as a daily tool uses the Palmer Method as Taught to the kids - people develop the set of characters that they prefer which are always more econimical and much faster. And yes, other people can read their cursive even if it is not standard Palmer - it's not difficult at all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Julius's post
19-11-2012, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2012 07:11 PM by Diablo666.)
(19-11-2012 06:58 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(19-11-2012 05:11 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  Only one problem, you lack an argument as to why they should teach it.

She probably can't read it, because you decided to develop your own "STYLE". Another reason this shit is useless btw...no one else can read it!
Some very good arguments have been made in this thread as to why Cursive should be taught and I suggest you read them. Also, no one who really uses cursive as a daily tool uses the Palmer Method as Taught to the kids - people develop the set of characters that they prefer which are always more econimical and much faster. And yes, other people can read their cursive even if it is not standard Palmer - it's not difficult at all.
Not one argument that isn't horse shit.
The only thing that even resembles an argument is note taking, and short hand / typing /recording blows that out of the water.

So where are the arguments again? Ohh you don't have any...thats what I thought, just more rambling about how you think its kind of useful to a select minority.
Well its obviously worth wasting our time on if its almost useful, but not ideal, to a small portion of the population, in rare situations.
19-11-2012, 07:11 PM
If you compare this:[Image: hu5df4.jpg] To this:
[Image: barack-obama-2-320.jpg]

You can't help but wonder which one is going to be taken seriously.

BTW, they're both written by adults.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
19-11-2012, 07:12 PM
(19-11-2012 07:11 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  If you compare this:[Image: hu5df4.jpg] To this:

There is a valid argument. One is prettier....

Fuck me you are stupid.
Forget the fact it is not even an argument based on logic, but it wasn't even a fair comparison....
19-11-2012, 07:22 PM
(19-11-2012 07:12 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  
(19-11-2012 07:11 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  If you compare this:[Image: hu5df4.jpg] To this:

There is a valid argument. One is prettier....

Fuck me you are stupid.
Forget the fact it is not even an argument based on logic, but it wasn't even a fair comparison....
Oh yeah, I forgot this was a thread made for your amusement and feces throwing.

Maybe you should get laid so you can ease up on the whole asshole attitude.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 5 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
19-11-2012, 07:36 PM
(19-11-2012 05:11 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  
(19-11-2012 04:59 PM)calmblueocean Wrote:  While I tend to block print on forms and the like, most of the time I write in cursive. Well, near cursive... everybody develops their own style, you know? If the dinguses in Kansas don't want to learn it, fine. It's their loss. It's just one more good thing they're flushing away. Someone I greatly dislike but am compelled to deal with on a regular basis handed back a sheet I'd given her that was written in cursive, saying, "Ugh, I can't read this." Really? You're forty-one and you don't have the patience to read -- oh, wait, there it is. The whinger didn't want to expend one iota of extra effort to read *gasp* cursive handwriting. Empty people.

...(/rant)
Only one problem, you lack an argument as to why they should teach it.

I wasn't arguing for anything. And if you've never written in cursive of course you don't understand the development of a personal style. When people grow up, they gradually take short cuts like not connecting this or that letter, or writing this 'r' as a printed 'r' instead of a cursive one.

What's the matter? Did you fail a test on cursive writing in elementary school recently? It's not cursive's fault.

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
[+] 2 users Like calmblueocean's post
19-11-2012, 07:38 PM
(19-11-2012 07:22 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(19-11-2012 07:12 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  There is a valid argument. One is prettier....

Fuck me you are stupid.

Ech, I stooped to its level with my response. Today is not the day for me to attempt to deal with utterly unreasonable people. Who the hell starts an argument on why people should write cursive, anyway?

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
19-11-2012, 07:40 PM
(19-11-2012 07:22 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(19-11-2012 07:12 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  There is a valid argument. One is prettier....

Fuck me you are stupid.

Maybe you should stop being a dumbass.
I can easily get laid, but you can't fix stupid.
19-11-2012, 10:23 PM
I write in cursive almost all the time. I am an extreme note-taker in classes and while reading for school, I can write a lot faster in cursive than I ever could if I printed the notes. Now I don't write exactly as I was taught, I have developed my own style that has remained the same for years. Probably, I am one of the few people out there whose signature is identical each time I write it, is in cursive, and completely legible with each letter formed fully.

I think cursive writing is becoming a lost art.

I’m not anti-social. I’m pro-solitude. ~Author Unknown
19-11-2012, 11:35 PM
(19-11-2012 03:11 PM)kim Wrote:  Hm. I think it is a good idea to teach it. It is possible that certain brain stuff is triggered by learning an aesthetic skill, such as writing script or reading music... which people are rarely taught to do anymore, either. Seems to me that it is connected to a skill set with a built in flexibility to encourage creativity. Those things are usually handy to have around during critical thinking.

Never know what one might need for brain development. I'd rather give my brains a jump on stupidity.

Here's one of my favorite signatures. Shy

[Image: CH_Signature_2.jpg]
Yup, you are totally on the right path.

I am a huge advocate for cursive writing, as well as 'hands' on tools.

Yes keyboarding and newer technologies are used more often and seem to be the way society is going. However we cannot forget how intuitive these items are. They are meant to work so flawlessly that one doesn't have to think about how to use them, everything is laid out there for us.

Cursive's biggest strong point is in the cross over one preforms as they write. The back and forth motion of connecting the letters (differently EACH time- no two connections are the same for each letter since letters end and start at different points) literally aids right brain and left brain development (synapses and pathways). It helps not only to write quickly, neatly or prettily but it helps in problem solving, critical thinking and idea (creative) abilities. I have a family member who teaches and researches cursive writing (amongst other forms of writing for comparison) and has found sooo much brain development and enhancement has been a direct influence of cursive writing and other types of similar learning tools. I truly feel it would be a sincere loss to children's learning opportunities if this were taken away all under the impression that it's 'old' and not useful anymore.

http://www.practical-parent.com/home/201...ience.html

http://www.helium.com/items/1697736-cursive-handwriting

Cursive writing also aids in fine motor skills, another invaluable skill for body/brain development.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post