The Case for Teaching Cursive Writing...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2012, 02:04 AM
RE: The Case for Teaching Cursive Writing...
And if LJ's argument is not strong enough I will add another evolutionary-driven argument... a much more practical one.

Performance Indicator: % success rate for getting her knickers off.

Typed love poems = 80%
Love poems in my usual hand-written, block text = 30%
Love poems written in the not-so-easy calligraphic script = 100%

No contest.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
20-11-2012, 03:54 AM
The only difference between my cursive and my cardiogram is that the second one is legible. Undecided

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
20-11-2012, 12:30 PM
(20-11-2012 03:54 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  The only difference between my cursive and my cardiogram is that the second one is legible. Undecided
As long as your Cursive is legible to yourself, I don't see a problem. I don't advocate Cursive as a means of communication (we got PCs, phones, E-mail and texting for that) but as a helper. I advocate cursive because it can help you to become a better observer, listener and learner.

I used to work for a Japanese company where the execs were quite ignorant of a large part of western culture. Anyways, during a meeting held by one of the VPs, I took careful and copius notes. After the meeting, the VP pulls me aside and chastises me for not paying attention to him during the meeting. I asked why he thought this and he said that he noticed my doing nothing but scribbling in my notebook. I then told him that I was writing down every important thing that he said and handed him the notebook. He took a look at the small cursive script and claimed it was scribble. Just at that time, an American coworker leaned over his shoulder and started reading the script. That Japanese VP was astonished and even had us give him a demonstration. He saw the power of the art - and this is not surprising if you've ever seen some poor Japanese writing Kanji script! As a result, he insisted that his 9-year-old son be taught cursive in his American school as an elective. Also, I was the new go-to guy when he needed to know what had transpired at one of our high-dollar engineering development-test sessions with the mother company. See, even though I did not speak the VPs native language, I could better observe, remember and later communicate what happened to him than could the Japanese engineers.
[+] 1 user Likes Julius's post
20-11-2012, 01:05 PM
(20-11-2012 02:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  And if LJ's argument is not strong enough I will add another evolutionary-driven argument... a much more practical one.

Typed love poems = 80%

No contest.
Trust me its not that hard to have sex with your wife.
20-11-2012, 01:10 PM
(19-11-2012 11:35 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(19-11-2012 03:11 PM)kim Wrote:  Hm. I think it is a good idea to teach it. It is possible that certain brain stuff is triggered by learning an aesthetic skill, such as writing script or reading music... which people are rarely taught to do anymore, either. Seems to me that it is connected to a skill set with a built in flexibility to encourage creativity. Those things are usually handy to have around during critical thinking.

Never know what one might need for brain development. I'd rather give my brains a jump on stupidity.

Here's one of my favorite signatures. Shy

[Image: CH_Signature_2.jpg]
Yup, you are totally on the right path.

I am a huge advocate for cursive writing, as well as 'hands' on tools.

Yes keyboarding and newer technologies are used more often and seem to be the way society is going. However we cannot forget how intuitive these items are. They are meant to work so flawlessly that one doesn't have to think about how to use them, everything is laid out there for us.

Cursive's biggest strong point is in the cross over one preforms as they write. The back and forth motion of connecting the letters (differently EACH time- no two connections are the same for each letter since letters end and start at different points) literally aids right brain and left brain development (synapses and pathways). It helps not only to write quickly, neatly or prettily but it helps in problem solving, critical thinking and idea (creative) abilities. I have a family member who teaches and researches cursive writing (amongst other forms of writing for comparison) and has found sooo much brain development and enhancement has been a direct influence of cursive writing and other types of similar learning tools. I truly feel it would be a sincere loss to children's learning opportunities if this were taken away all under the impression that it's 'old' and not useful anymore.

http://www.practical-parent.com/home/201...ience.html

http://www.helium.com/items/1697736-cursive-handwriting

Cursive writing also aids in fine motor skills, another invaluable skill for body/brain development.
What an absolute crock of shit...
More secondary bonus nonsense... I wonder how many other things they tested? I am guessing none. Thus the only conclusion is that there is brain activity when you do stuff... ohh very enlightening.

Fuck me with a donkey dick you people are stupid.
20-11-2012, 01:43 PM
(20-11-2012 01:10 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  
(19-11-2012 11:35 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  What an absolute crock of shit...More secondary bonus nonsense... I wonder how many other things they tested? I am guessing none. Thus the only conclusion is that there is brain activity when you do stuff... ohh very enlightening.

Fuck me with a donkey dick you people are stupid.
Diablo,

You have crossed the line between reason and name-calling. As a result, people are no longer taking you seriously. So, why not step back across that line and start using reason? You'll be taken a lot more seriously if you do.
[+] 4 users Like Julius's post
20-11-2012, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2012 02:49 PM by Diablo666.)
(20-11-2012 01:43 PM)Julius Wrote:  Diablo,

You have crossed the line between reason and name-calling. As a result, people are no longer taking you seriously. So, why not step back across that line and start using reason? You'll be taken a lot more seriously if you do.
Those so called studies are a joke...
There is no evidence that cursive > Any other activity.

There is a huge lack of reason, but it sure as hell isn't coming from my end.
Idiots just assumed that because they see some positive test results.

Cursive is a waste of time. I can't believe any sane person would be against education reforms, and cutting out bad information.
20-11-2012, 02:49 PM
(20-11-2012 01:05 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  
(20-11-2012 02:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  And if LJ's argument is not strong enough I will add another evolutionary-driven argument... a much more practical one.

Typed love poems = 80%

No contest.
Trust me its not that hard to have sex with your wife.

Ah! So, it was you.

I hope you enjoyed her as much as everyone else did.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
20-11-2012, 03:40 PM
(20-11-2012 02:49 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-11-2012 01:05 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  Trust me its not that hard to have sex with your wife.

Ah! So, it was you.

I hope you enjoyed her as much as everyone else did.

Dangit! Story of my life. Always late for the train...

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
20-11-2012, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2012 04:38 PM by Anjele.)
Thank you Diablow for your
wonderful input on a subject you obviously have no interest in. It's nice
of you to drop in to prove what an obnoxious ass you are. Go rant on the
Satanist threads and take the donkey dick with you.

Better yet:

[Image: Diablow.jpg]

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

Woofs hasn't changed my signature because of his banning.
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post