Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2014, 05:31 PM
The Catholic/Christian Disparity
So, yesterday at school I had the following conversation:

Acquaintance (paraphrased): "The Catholics aren't Christians"
Me: "What? Of course they are!
Acquaintance: "No they're not."
Me: "The main tenants of Christianity are the belief in the deity-status of Jesus and the worship thereof. Catholics do both."
Acquaintance: "No, the Catholics think Jesus was a prophet, not god."
(I suspect he doesn't know the difference between Catholicism and Islam in retrospect)
Me: "The Catholics have a triple-deity sort of deal going on, but Jesus as the Son of God is one of the three along side the Holy Ghost and God itself."
(And he denied it again....)

And so, I have to ask legitimately, jokes aside: can anybody please explain to me why there is such a massive disconnect between the Catholic side of Christianity and the other side?
I realise there must be considerable emphasis the Protestant side, and thus a natural inclination to look at the subject in an odd way, but I feel like there must be something else going on to cause not only the believers but the non-believers (I am assuming the acquaintance is some form of non-believer, given that the majority of Australian youths are, either that or he has been very lied to. Or both.) to fail to understand the base lack of a difference.

Or maybe I'm the one who has a fundamental misunderstanding of the subject...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2014, 05:37 PM
RE: The Catholic/Christian Disparity
(22-05-2014 05:31 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  So, yesterday at school I had the following conversation:

Me: "The main tenants of Christianity are the belief in the deity-status of Jesus and the worship thereof. Catholics do both."
(I suspect he doesn't know the difference between Catholicism and Islam in retrospect)
Me: "The Catholics have a triple-deity sort of deal going on, but Jesus as the Son of God is one of the three along side the Holy Ghost and God itself."

And so, I have to ask legitimately, jokes aside: can anybody please explain to me why there is such a massive disconnect between the Catholic side of Christianity and the other side?
I realise there must be considerable emphasis the Protestant side, and thus a natural inclination to look at the subject in an odd way, but I feel like there must be something else going on to cause not only the believers but the non-believers (I am assuming the acquaintance is some form of non-believer, given that the majority of Australian youths are, either that or he has been very lied to. Or both.) to fail to understand the base lack of a difference.

http://www.christianforums.com is the forum you should ask this question in, not here.
22-05-2014, 05:45 PM
(22-05-2014 05:31 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Acquaintance: "No, the Catholics think Jesus was a prophet, not god."

This strikes me as nothing more but ignorant. Anyone with a basic grasp of Christianity should know that the biggest denominations are more or less in agreement on the status of Jesus, and those with a little education should know to trace this back to the Nicene Creed.

Was there some reason for your acquaintance to insist on this point? You wouldn't know anything about his denominational background?

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 2 users Like John's post
22-05-2014, 05:45 PM
(22-05-2014 05:37 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 05:31 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  So, yesterday at school I had the following conversation:

http://www.christianforums.com is the forum you should ask this question in, not here.

"Atheism and Theism", I guess you don't know how to read.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 8 users Like JDog554's post
22-05-2014, 05:48 PM
First, I think your acquaintance is largely just uneducated about Catholicism and I'm not sure that's typical, but I could be wrong.

The level of disconnect probably depends on the specific Christian denomination. Episcopalians, for example, have doctrine very similar to Catholicism while Baptists not so much, so the disconnect is probably less with Episcopalians.

In addition, Catholicism was the first Christian religion which means that every other Christian denomination either broke away from Catholicism, branched from one that did (second, third, fourth,.. etc. hand), or started separately from it. All of those have some disagreement or difference with Catholic doctrine. Because Catholicism was the original and other Christians found some fault with it, I think there tends to be some disapproving attitudes directed toward Catholicism from the others. I also think Catholics are sometimes viewed as snobbish by other Christian denominations (and some Catholics probably earned the label too).

Finally, it's like the rest of religion and lack of learning about it. If, say, a Methodist isn't going to learn very much about Methodist doctrine, they sure aren't going to learn about Catholicism or any other denomination. So, for many, all they know is a little about their own faith and the more Catholicism differs from that, the less they will know about Catholicism.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
22-05-2014, 05:49 PM

Oh, look. Jerry thinks he's a mod.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
22-05-2014, 05:59 PM

I do believe I placed this in the correct place.

(22-05-2014 05:45 PM)John Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 05:31 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Acquaintance: "No, the Catholics think Jesus was a prophet, not god."

This strikes me as nothing more but ignorant. Anyone with a basic grasp of Christianity should know that the biggest denominations are more or less in agreement on the status of Jesus, and those with a little education should know to trace this back to the Nicene Creed.

Was there some reason for your acquaintance to insist on this point? You wouldn't know anything about his denominational background?

I only labelled him as 'Acquaintance' because I was too lazy to type out 'Random kid I see at school and speak with on occasion' to be honest.
As for their denom-background, I had assumed they were simply ignorant and a non-believer as most of us young folk are (non-believers, not necessarily ignorant).
I suppose he might have some connections to a protestant background given the misunderstanding but it's hard to make a reliable guess as religion is one of the least important things in Aus, so I would expect some degree of ignorance in anyone; believer or no.

I only brought to conversation up as it was the catalyst for my question: What's with the disconnect? I mean, even if this guy was a believer, I have still seen non-believers make the mistake and I just don't get that.

(Also thanks to Impulse for that answer)

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
22-05-2014, 06:10 PM
(22-05-2014 05:48 PM)Impulse Wrote:  In addition, Catholicism was the first Christian religion...

That's what the Catholics claim. Dodgy

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 3 users Like John's post
22-05-2014, 07:17 PM
(22-05-2014 06:10 PM)John Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 05:48 PM)Impulse Wrote:  In addition, Catholicism was the first Christian religion...

That's what the Catholics claim. Dodgy
As a former Catholic, I read your comment and was like Huh So I looked it up and learned something new today. So thank you for that! Thumbsup But now I'm also like Angry at the Catholic church - more than I was already.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post
22-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Being raised in a Catholic area, I didn't realize there was a distinction...till I moved to the deep south. Turns out some people think there is a HUGE difference.

I may have been better off to say I was atheist then to say I was raised Catholic. I am pretty sure a lot of people would have thought they had a better chance of saving an atheist.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post