The Catholic/Christian Disparity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2014, 08:03 PM
RE: The Catholic/Christian Disparity
(22-05-2014 05:37 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  http://www.christianforums.com is the forum you should ask this question in, not here.

Said the idiot who can't even discuss the Bible, and posts his shit on an atheist forum.
There are many ex-Catholics here who know more about the subject than ANYONE on the forum you mention.

If anyone here needs your advice, they will be sure and ask.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-05-2014, 08:05 PM
(22-05-2014 07:35 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Being raised in a Catholic area, I didn't realize there was a distinction...till I moved to the deep south. Turns out some people think there is a HUGE difference.

I may have been better off to say I was atheist then to say I was raised Catholic. I am pretty sure a lot of people would have thought they had a better chance of saving an atheist.

Very true.

Just because YOU believe in fairies doesn't mean anybody else should.
22-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Yes lots of Christian denominations do not think Catholic is a Christian denomination. As an ex-catholic intend to think it is because of the way the Catholic Church threats things like saints, relics, etc. Also the nature of the catholic mass probably has something to do with it. I suspect this person is probably some form of baptist. The hold the once saved always saved point of view where Catholics do not. It is a big rub between baptist and Catholics.
22-05-2014, 08:29 PM
(22-05-2014 08:05 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 07:35 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Being raised in a Catholic area, I didn't realize there was a distinction...till I moved to the deep south. Turns out some people think there is a HUGE difference.

I may have been better off to say I was atheist then to say I was raised Catholic. I am pretty sure a lot of people would have thought they had a better chance of saving an atheist.

Very true.
You guys were not south enough.
22-05-2014, 09:49 PM
In a nutshell, Protestant Reformation. Martin Luther and the reformers considered the Pope the anti-Christ. The five solas, including sola fide (faith alone) and sola gratia (grace alone) are at the heart of Protestant theology. Catholics stress works, church tradition, veneration of saints/Mary in addition to these as means to salvation. These are anathema in Protestant theology. To be Protestant is to protest against the Catholic Church.

Many baptists, Pentecostals, and other fundy denominations preach that Catholics will go to hell, and that satan is at work in that church. It's all terribly divisive and resulted in much bloodshed in the centuries following the reformation.
[+] 5 users Like freetoreason's post
23-05-2014, 02:37 AM
I've heard this argument from others before too. It's just further proof of how much ignorance abounds in religion. In fact, religions counts on it for its survival.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Diogenes of Mayberry's post
23-05-2014, 03:12 AM
The Roman government created the contents of the new Testament and its canon.

The whole damn show is pretty much the creation of the Roman Catholic Church / government.

Considered from the historical perspective, for Protestants to claim they are the true Christians is...um... rather ridiculous.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
23-05-2014, 05:51 AM
(22-05-2014 08:29 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 08:05 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  Very true.
You guys were not south enough.

South Carolina is pretty south. Not till I moved there did I know that being Catholic was so much like being a Satanist. Blink

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-05-2014, 05:55 AM
(22-05-2014 05:45 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 05:37 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  http://www.christianforums.com is the forum you should ask this question in, not here.

"Atheism and Theism", I guess you don't know how to read.

This is an atheist forum. Why would he ask the question in an atheist forum?

That would be like me going to a Christian forum and asking them why the disparity among atheists?
[+] 1 user Likes Jeremy E Walker's post
23-05-2014, 05:56 AM
(23-05-2014 03:12 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  The Roman government created the contents of the new Testament and its canon.

The whole damn show is pretty much the creation of the Roman Catholic Church / government.

Considered from the historical perspective, for Protestants to claim they are the true Christians is...um... rather ridiculous.

Care to defend the above in the boxing ring?