The Catholic/Christian Disparity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2014, 07:53 AM
RE: The Catholic/Christian Disparity
(23-05-2014 06:23 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(23-05-2014 05:56 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Care to defend the above in the boxing ring?
You plan on trying to re-define history or something?

Mark has already done that. This might be the only interesting debate Jermy has proposed, although no good will come of it. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2014, 07:57 AM
(23-05-2014 07:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-05-2014 06:23 AM)wazzel Wrote:  You plan on trying to re-define history or something?

Mark has already done that. This might be the only interesting debate Jermy has proposed, although no good will come of it. Drinking Beverage

Has he? I have not read all of Mark's post. The little I have seems more like he is drawing conclusions, not necessarly redefing.

This is funny. I feel like I am talking about myself in the third person. I am Mark also.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
23-05-2014, 08:11 AM
(22-05-2014 05:31 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  So, yesterday at school I had the following conversation:

Acquaintance (paraphrased): "The Catholics aren't Christians"
Me: "What? Of course they are!
Acquaintance: "No they're not."
Me: "The main tenants of Christianity are the belief in the deity-status of Jesus and the worship thereof. Catholics do both."
Acquaintance: "No, the Catholics think Jesus was a prophet, not god."
(I suspect he doesn't know the difference between Catholicism and Islam in retrospect)
Me: "The Catholics have a triple-deity sort of deal going on, but Jesus as the Son of God is one of the three along side the Holy Ghost and God itself."
(And he denied it again....)

And so, I have to ask legitimately, jokes aside: can anybody please explain to me why there is such a massive disconnect between the Catholic side of Christianity and the other side?
I realise there must be considerable emphasis the Protestant side, and thus a natural inclination to look at the subject in an odd way, but I feel like there must be something else going on to cause not only the believers but the non-believers (I am assuming the acquaintance is some form of non-believer, given that the majority of Australian youths are, either that or he has been very lied to. Or both.) to fail to understand the base lack of a difference.

Or maybe I'm the one who has a fundamental misunderstanding of the subject...

Naw. You're friend is an idiot.
23-05-2014, 08:38 AM
(23-05-2014 07:57 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(23-05-2014 07:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  Mark has already done that. This might be the only interesting debate Jermy has proposed, although no good will come of it. Drinking Beverage

Has he? I have not read all of Mark's post. The little I have seems more like he is drawing conclusions, not necessarly redefing.

This is funny. I feel like I am talking about myself in the third person. I am Mark also.

OK, 're-defining' is too strong. But drawing conclusions not well-supported by evidence.

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
23-05-2014, 09:34 AM
(23-05-2014 08:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-05-2014 07:57 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Has he? I have not read all of Mark's post. The little I have seems more like he is drawing conclusions, not necessarly redefing.

OK, 're-defining' is too strong. But drawing conclusions not well-supported by evidence.

He makes an interesting case but does, I think, extend himself beyond what can and has been shown. I like Mark he has interesting ideas, some more plausible than others, and does at least try to ground his opinions in facts. Personally I think he gives too much power to those at the beginning of christianity, making them more than they were. But at least he attempts to make a case for himself that is not based on spelling errors and moonbeams like some other people we could mention.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
23-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Some Catholics are Christian and some aren't.

Being a Christian doesn't depend on what church a person is a member of but on his relationship with God. When someone recognizes that he is a sinner, believes that Jesus died to atone for his sins, and receives forgiveness by faith in Jesus he becomes a Christian. Most Christians then join a church but joining the church is the result of their being a Christian, not the way they become one.

There are a lot of church members who believe the doctrines of Christianity are true but who have never personally repented and put their faith in Jesus. They often believe that being a member of a church is what makes them a Christian.

All churches, including the Catholic church, have members of both kinds.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
23-05-2014, 10:18 AM
(23-05-2014 09:34 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(23-05-2014 08:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  OK, 're-defining' is too strong. But drawing conclusions not well-supported by evidence.

He makes an interesting case but does, I think, extend himself beyond what can and has been shown. I like Mark he has interesting ideas, some more plausible than others, and does at least try to ground his opinions in facts. Personally I think he gives too much power to those at the beginning of christianity, making them more than they were. But at least he attempts to make a case for himself that is not based on spelling errors and moonbeams like some other people we could mention.

Good characterization. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-05-2014, 10:19 AM
(23-05-2014 10:10 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Some Catholics are Christian and some aren't.

Being a Christian doesn't depend on what church a person is a member of but on his relationship with God. When someone recognizes that he is a sinner, believes that Jesus died to atone for his sins, and receives forgiveness by faith in Jesus he becomes a Christian. Most Christians then join a church but joining the church is the result of their being a Christian, not the way they become one.

There are a lot of church members who believe the doctrines of Christianity are true but who have never personally repented and put their faith in Jesus. They often believe that being a member of a church is what makes them a Christian.

Well, that's by your definition of Christian and Christianity. Others have different definitions.

23-05-2014, 10:29 AM
(23-05-2014 10:10 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Some Catholics are Christian and some aren't.

Oh for Christ's sake. Rolleyes

Why do you believe your gawd is so negative? "You're all sinners and must repent!" Puh-leeeze! Did you ever wonder why gawd proved himself by "miracles" such as killing all the first-born sons instead of by "miracles" like showing us something beautiful like a new color? Consider

Never mind, why do I bother. Dodgy

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
23-05-2014, 10:39 AM

Catholics are christians dumbass. Roman catholics and orthodox christians are the oldest christians churches . The protestant churches aren't older than the 500 years .The protestantism movement started at 16 century. Christianity is bullshit anyways.