The Catholic Confessional and Paedophilia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2017, 07:59 PM
Exclamation The Catholic Confessional and Paedophilia
I was absolutely astounded, and disgusted to read in my paper this morning that the Catholic church in Australia is still claiming that criminal activities—such as paedophilia—that are divulged in the confessional are to be held in strict confidence by the confessor, who then grants absolution, but who must not tell the church authorities or police.

Catholic Use of Confession to be Scrutinised by Child Abuse Royal Commission.

"Church argues obligations to report child sexual abuse should not extend to divulging information given in confessional... Whether what is heard in the confessional box should continue to stay there will be considered by the child sexual abuse royal commission as it again turns its focus to widespread offending in the Catholic Church in Australia this week [only "considered"? WTF? ]... The body co-ordinating the church’s response to the commission argues obligations to report child sexual abuse should not extend to divulging information in the confessional... the church in Australia would take very seriously any recommendations or findings from the royal commission, although there may be issues that could only be dealt with by the Vatican"... [rather than by the Australian police? Again, WTF? ]

I just can't believe that the Catholic church still has the apparent political power enabling it to demand—and receive—an exemption from reporting cases of sexual abuse against minors. Why are the Federal Police and our Attorney General's department seemingly powerless to force this vile, abhorrent organisation into obeying the laws of the land—that every other one of the 23 million citizens do?

Angry Angry Angry

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
05-02-2017, 09:00 PM
RE: The Catholic Confessional and Paedophilia
(05-02-2017 07:59 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I was absolutely astounded, and disgusted to read in my paper this morning that the Catholic church in Australia is still claiming that criminal activities—such as paedophilia—that are divulged in the confessional are to be held in strict confidence by the confessor, who then grants absolution, but who must not tell the church authorities or police.

Catholic Use of Confession to be Scrutinised by Child Abuse Royal Commission.

"Church argues obligations to report child sexual abuse should not extend to divulging information given in confessional... Whether what is heard in the confessional box should continue to stay there will be considered by the child sexual abuse royal commission as it again turns its focus to widespread offending in the Catholic Church in Australia this week [only "considered"? WTF? ]... The body co-ordinating the church’s response to the commission argues obligations to report child sexual abuse should not extend to divulging information in the confessional... the church in Australia would take very seriously any recommendations or findings from the royal commission, although there may be issues that could only be dealt with by the Vatican"... [rather than by the Australian police? Again, WTF? ]

I just can't believe that the Catholic church still has the apparent political power enabling it to demand—and receive—an exemption from reporting cases of sexual abuse against minors. Why are the Federal Police and our Attorney General's department seemingly powerless to force this vile, abhorrent organisation into obeying the laws of the land—that every other one of the 23 million citizens do?

Angry Angry Angry

Hmm. Seems like a good precedent was when the Italian police raided the Vatican over some money laundering involving the RCC andthe mafia. There was a shit-ton of harrumph over it as I recall, the Vatican being a "sovereign state". The new pope is supposedly cleaning that up, but I'd bet nickels to doughnut holes it'll just resurface as something else.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
05-02-2017, 10:03 PM
Quote:I just can't believe that the Catholic church still has the apparent political power enabling it to demand—and receive—an exemption from reporting cases of sexual abuse against minors.

Drag a couple of the pervert motherfuckers out in the street and burn them at the stake. You'll see how fast the bastards fall into line.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
05-02-2017, 11:01 PM
(05-02-2017 07:59 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Catholic church?

Evil_monsterEvil_monsterEvil_monster

Italics mine.

Mate.

Rome never fell mate. Only in the east. That's why I keep going on about Rome.

Of course Rome has power. Ever since the final defeat of the Carthaginians. Mate, that's a long time.

They still have a Pontifex Maximus. Oops, pope.

A position once held by the emperor......

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
06-02-2017, 02:17 AM
(05-02-2017 11:01 PM)Banjo Wrote:  ...
Rome never fell mate. Only in the east. That's why I keep going on about Rome.

Of course Rome has power. Ever since the final defeat of the Carthaginians. Mate, that's a long time.

They still have a Pontifex Maximus. Oops, pope.

A position once held by the emperor......

Power, yes.

But more like an Umpire than an Empire.

(05-02-2017 07:59 PM)SYZ Wrote:  ...
the Catholic church in Australia is still claiming that criminal activities—such as paedophilia—that are divulged in the confessional are to be held in strict confidence by the confessor, who then grants absolution, but who must not tell the church authorities or police.

Sounds to me like Aiding and Abetting and it won't change until the masses make the association and stop paying their membership fees / protection money.

But careful with the terminology there. We don't want to get all pitchforky over thought crimes, do we?.

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
06-02-2017, 03:04 AM
3 billion is more than Rome had under, say Justinian or Constantine.

Emperor of a different type. That is all.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
06-02-2017, 04:52 AM
The same paper, the Melbourne AGE, published this graphic today showing the percentages of paedophile priests in various dioceses across southern Australia—the most populous regions. It's pretty horrifying...

[Image: 0702catholic_abuse_729.png]

Today, the royal commission heard that almost 4,500 claims of child sexual abuse had been made against Catholic institutions in Australia over 35 years, from 1980 to 2015. The average age of male victims was 11, while the average age of female victims was 10.

The royal commission has also been newly tasked with reconsidering the claims of possible sexual abuse perpetrated by Cardinal George Pell, who's currently in hiding—courtesy of the Pope—in the Vatican. Unsurprisingly, Australia has no extradition treaty with the Vatican city state. The royal commission has made 309 referrals to the Australian Federal Police in relation to Catholic Church child sexual abuse allegations. However, just 27 of those referrals have resulted in prosecutions.

[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
06-02-2017, 07:28 AM
The next time a theist tells me that religion makes them a better moral person, I'm going to show them this story.

And this one: Former B.C. couple guilty of taking girl, 13, to U.S. to marry polygamist Warren Jeffs

And this one: Letting them die: parents refuse medical help for children in the name of Christ

And this one: Missouri Couple Sentenced to Die In Murder of Their Daughter, 16

And this one: Faith-healing parents charged with MURDER after second child died in their home from pneumonia without getting medical help while they were on probation over death of first son

etc etc etc
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
08-02-2017, 03:40 AM
And more today in the Melbourne AGE following on this horror story...

The RC church is a "law unto itself" in need of serious cultural reform if it is to properly address widespread allegations of child sexual abuse within its ranks, a royal commission heard...

The Catholic Archbishop of Brisbane (Australia) told the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse there was a lack of transparency within the church... He said "We are, as it were, a law and a world unto ourselves"...

(In 2014, the Vatican declined a request from the royal commission to release documents relating to Australian Roman Catholic clergy accused of child sexual abuse, saying that it was "Neither possible nor appropriate to provide the information requested".)

The royal commission's research found there had been 4,444 alleged victims of child sexual abuse within RC institutions over the past 35 years and 1,880 alleged offenders. It found, overall, seven percent of priests were alleged perpetrators.

The highest numbers of perpetrators were found in male orders such as St John of God, the Christian Brothers and the Marist Brothers in Australia.

—I'm wondering if the American experience is similar and/or worse than in Australia, as "It has been estimated that at least 33 percent of all priests in the RC Church in the US are homosexual (versus 4-5% of males in the general population).
[Stuart, Elizabeth, Dr., Roman Catholics and Homosexuality, quoted by Kate Saunders in Catholics and Sex.]

Shocking

08-02-2017, 05:58 AM
(08-02-2017 03:40 AM)SYZ Wrote:  ...
—I'm wondering if the American experience is similar and/or worse than in Australia, as "It has been estimated that at least 33 percent of all priests in the RC Church in the US are homosexual (versus 4-5% of males in the general population).
[Stuart, Elizabeth, Dr., Roman Catholics and Homosexuality, quoted by Kate Saunders in Catholics and Sex.]

Shocking

Please remind me ... what's the connection between homosexuality and pederasty?

Did I miss something?

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post