The Changing socio-political makeup of the USA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2016, 09:43 AM
The Changing socio-political makeup of the USA
A short video by The Atlantic magazine on what has happened and what is happening here in the US with regards to religion and politics.

http://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/5...istianity/

One comment that stood out for me was when the narrator says, and I’m paraphrasing, white Christian evangelicals need to take a seat at the table without feeling that they own the table. At 45% of the population they are no longer the majority and the new generations are now less than a third of this group.

May you live in interesting times ~ Chinese proverb

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2016, 09:50 AM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2016 10:06 AM by Gloucester.)
RE: The Changing socio-political makeup of the USA
(17-10-2016 09:43 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  A short video by The Atlantic magazine on what has happened and what is happening here in the US with regards to religion and politics.

One comment that stood out for me was when the narrator says, and I’m paraphrasing, white Christian evangelicals need to take a seat at the table without feeling that they own the table. At 45% of the population they are no longer the majority and the new generations are now less than a third of this group.

Thanks for the link FC.

[ Thought "May you live in interesting times" was actually a curse!]

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
17-10-2016, 11:06 AM
(17-10-2016 09:43 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  A short video by The Atlantic magazine on what has happened and what is happening here in the US with regards to religion and politics.

Good video!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-10-2016, 11:47 AM

That's why you hear these rumblings of "white genocide". Dodgy

17-10-2016, 11:53 AM
(17-10-2016 11:47 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  

That's why you hear these rumblings of "white genocide". Dodgy

Interesting you should bring that term up. Derek Black is one of the people that popularised it however after attending a Liberal College he had a radical change of heart. Interesting story.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
17-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Tangentially related is this graph. I think that this has some bearing on why the population centers are voting one way while the rural areas are voting another.

[Image: nne-GROWTH-charts-01.0.jpg]

"In the economic boom of the 1990s, most of the job gains came in less populated areas — like outer-ring suburbs and smaller cities. This seemed to make perfect sense because big cities were already densely populated, leaving little room for further development. But as this chart from the Economic Innovation Group shows, the current economic recovery has turned this logic on its head, with the biggest cities enjoying the strongest job gains.”

*There are 26 other charts that are quite interesting here.
http://www.vox.com/new-money/2016/10/10/...ng-economy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
17-10-2016, 01:33 PM
(17-10-2016 11:53 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Interesting you should bring that term up. Derek Black is one of the people that popularised it however after attending a Liberal College he had a radical change of heart. Interesting story.

Indeed, I had never heard of him.
The irony of his last name struck me as apropos.

17-10-2016, 01:35 PM
(17-10-2016 09:50 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  [ Thought "May you live in interesting times" was actually a curse!]

Seems to fit with three weeks before the election.