The Christian God incentivizes the wrong things

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2013, 02:31 PM
RE: The Christian God incentivizes the wrong things
(30-12-2013 02:24 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 02:03 PM)morondog Wrote:  I did add a link so you could reread it Wink According to what he wrote it was less of dislike and more of bafflement, as far as I can make out, which is more or less how I feel towards you guys, although I've only met one honest-to-God Mormon in the flesh and she was helluva pretty so I didn't mind Tongue
Thanks, I will read it and then I will let you know what I think.
But I am not surprised that Mormon women looked very ugly to him. I think their lives were so hard after years of persecutions that they didn't have much time or desire to look better.
Now it is different times. We can pumper ourselves and look sexy(but modestly of course).Smile

You know, you're such a flippin' sweetie... if every religious nutter was like you... I think all us poor cynical bastards like Chas would even have to crack a smile once in a while Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2013, 02:51 PM
(30-12-2013 01:21 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 11:53 PM)morondog Wrote:  Alla, have you ever come across Mark Twain's review of the Mormon Bible ? What do you think of it ?
Yes, but I don't remember now everything what he said.
I believe he was Protestant and he didn't like Mormons. But he is still one of my favorite American writers. Smile

Pro tip: No one likes Mormons. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-12-2013, 02:58 PM
(30-12-2013 02:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  Pro tip: No one likes Mormons. Drinking Beverage

... for being Mormons Tongue But as long as they don't get up the old nostrils I'm not averse, what ? Seems like there's potential in the jolly old well...

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
30-12-2013, 03:58 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2013 04:27 PM by Alla.)
(30-12-2013 02:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 01:21 PM)Alla Wrote:  Yes, but I don't remember now everything what he said.
I believe he was Protestant and he didn't like Mormons. But he is still one of my favorite American writers. Smile

Pro tip: No one likes Mormons. Drinking Beverage

That is not true. There are people who like me and who like other Mormons.
But of course there are many people who do not like Mormons.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
30-12-2013, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2013 04:26 PM by Alla.)
(29-12-2013 11:53 PM)morondog Wrote:  Alla, have you ever come across Mark Twain's review of the Mormon Bible ? What do you think of it ?
To be honest I don't know what to say. I can not know how much truth is in what he wrote. Those were different times. Culture was different.
We(modern society) are not like them. It is hard to me to judge those people from my tower.
Is there Mormon culture? Yes, there is Mormon culture. Do I like everything about Mormon culture? No, not everything. Are there stupid Mormons? Yes, there are stupid Mormons. But I am not who will judge them. I am learning to love them.
And I believe that many things that were said about Mormons were not true. I know that many things that are said today about Mormons are not true.
About Book of Mormon. I don't find it boring. But I believe Mark Twain's word that for him it was boring.
Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
30-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Alla, were you raised Mormon?

If not, in what religion were you raised? When and why did you convert?
01-01-2014, 11:11 AM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2014 12:50 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(30-12-2013 03:58 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 02:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  Pro tip: No one likes Mormons. Drinking Beverage

That is not true. There are people who like me and who like other Mormons.
But of course there are many people who do not like Mormons.

I don't like pretentious delusional ass-hats, or in other words, you. That you also happen to be a Mormon is incidental. If a professed atheists came onto this forum spewing the same level of unsupported and baseless tripe (see I&I), I'd tell him to fuck right off as well. You're not special, you're an idiot. Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
01-01-2014, 08:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2014 08:22 PM by Alla.)
(30-12-2013 07:36 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Alla, were you raised Mormon?

If not, in what religion were you raised? When and why did you convert?
I was raised an Atheist. I was born in atheist country-former Soviet Union, specifically Kiev Ukraine.
I became a believer while lived in Soviet Union. I received a revelation from God.
Please don't laugh. If I am delusional then let it be. I just can not deny my own experience. If I am wrong let it be because only good things followed this.
So, I knew that there is God(from the revelation) but then I wanted to know more about Him. But nothing happen, no more revelations, nothing about any religions or churches. I attended some evangelical churches. They were OK. Nice people.
10 years ago LDS missionaries nocked on my door. Everything what they taught me was like something that I was looking for for a long time.
I prayed and I received more revelations from God. This is how I know that Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ is true and His Church is true. This is how I was converted.
P.S. Because I was an Atheist I understand Atheists and I don't judge them in any way.
My father was an Atheist. He also was a scientist. He was good mathematician and programmer. He worked on theory of graphs and theory of simple numbers.
Last years of his life he worked on theory of field. They built time machine and they worked with radioactive samples from Chernobyl(were it was explosion in 1986). Explosion was either on my birthday April 27th or April 26th. I remember that time very good. It was kind of scary. Chernobyl is 100 km from Kiev. They washed streets every day, people were taking shower every time they got home from the street. Everybody had those special meters to check radiation level. And we were drinking red wine "Caberne" every day (supposedly it helped).

[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
02-01-2014, 05:05 AM
(01-01-2014 08:07 PM)Alla Wrote:  I was raised an Atheist. I was born in atheist country-former Soviet Union, specifically Kiev Ukraine.
I became a believer while lived in Soviet Union.

Drinking Beverage

(01-01-2014 08:07 PM)Alla Wrote:  I received a revelation from God.
Please don't laugh.

Too late! Laughat

(01-01-2014 08:07 PM)Alla Wrote:  If I am delusional then let it be. I just can not deny my own experience. If I am wrong let it be because only good things followed this.

You need an education in the evaluation of evidence, logic, and reason so that you can adequately gauge the difference between fantasy and reality. The difference between psychological bias, and objective evidence.

(01-01-2014 08:07 PM)Alla Wrote:  So, I knew that there is God(from the revelation) but then I wanted to know more about Him.

No, you don't. You believe there is a god, that does not make it so. See? This is why you need and education, because you keep conflating baseless conjecture with facts and evidence (and vice versa). You literally don't appear to know the difference between belief and knowledge; they are not one in the same, no matter how much you desire it to be otherwise.

Once again, if you can't show it, then you don't know it; and you need to stop pretending like you do.

(01-01-2014 08:07 PM)Alla Wrote:  But nothing happen, no more revelations, nothing about any religions or churches.

Once again, even by your own standards, why isn't this evidence disproving god? So you think you had a 'divine revelation'. Okay, that's just one event. After that, silence; a silence that presumable continued for a long time. Why wasn't the lack of contact evidence that you were mistaken about the nature of the event you think was a 'divine revelation'?

This is because you didn't evaluate it, you simply jumped at the first answer you liked, and now you refuse to ever evaluate it again; because now your answer has a bunch of positive emotions attached to it and you're too afraid to examine it closely. You lack the ability to be skeptical, to evaluate your own beliefs with any amount of objectivity. If you were to attempt to take the Outsider Test for Faith, you would fail it miserably.

(01-01-2014 08:07 PM)Alla Wrote:  I attended some evangelical churches. They were OK. Nice people.
10 years ago LDS missionaries nocked on my door. Everything what they taught me was like something that I was looking for for a long time.
I prayed and I received more revelations from God. This is how I know that Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ is true and His Church is true. This is how I was converted.

Once again, 'feelings' do not denote truth, facts, or knowledge; they all exists outside of and regardless of our emotions.

(01-01-2014 08:07 PM)Alla Wrote:  P.S. Because I was an Atheist I understand Atheists and I don't judge them in any way.
My father was an Atheist. He also was a scientist. He was good mathematician and programmer. He worked on theory of graphs and theory of simple numbers.
Last years of his life he worked on theory of field.

I find it highly unlikely that your father, as a mathematician, ever simply relied upon a feeling or divine revelation to answer a problem in his work. Because in mathematics (much like the rest of science), it is not enough to simply believe or feel that you are right; you have to show it.

If I was given a copy of your father's work, I could read it, test it, and with mathematics either verify or falsify it. None of this would be dependent upon either of our emotions or beliefs, his work would either be factually accurate and demonstrable or it would not. You on the other hand cannot do that. You have no evidence, no documentation, nothing you can present as evidence for your claims outside of your own personal subjective memory of your 'experience'. Sorry, but I know too much about how to evaluate evidence, human psychology, and the flaws and weakness of our own brains to ever find that at all compelling.

Remember, there is a reason why DNA evidence is enough to convict someone to the death penalty, but anything you could say in support of your claims would be thrown out of a court of law as inadmissible. Do you know why? The last time we allowed personal subjective experiences to count as evidence in a court of law, it was the Salem Witch Trials, one of the most egregious miscarriages of justice in colonial America.

Seriously, put down the Book of Mormon, and get yourself a real education. You have access to the internet and Google, there is no excuse for your level of ignorance in the Information Age.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-01-2014, 05:14 AM
EK, you get a stocking fulla coal for Christmas ? 'Cos you're grumpier than I remember Tongue