The Christians arguments for religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2014, 11:20 AM
The Christians arguments for religion
The argument that I am contemplating is the one poses the question: what do atheists have as a replacement for religion?

I am not familiar with a consistent response from my critically thinking atheist brothers and sisters, and I think I came up with the best solution to the puzzle

How about some of their other arguments that they use to support the need for religion?

1. replacement for religion
2. religion guards morality
3. religion is sexy
4. religion keeps atheists on their toes
5. atheists wouldn't have anything to organize for

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2014, 11:29 AM
RE: The Christians arguments for religion
What exactly does religion offer that can't be achieved without religion, aside from belief in deities?

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
11-06-2014, 11:37 AM
(11-06-2014 11:20 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  The argument that I am contemplating is the one poses the question: what do atheists have as a replacement for religion?

I am not familiar with a consistent response from my critically thinking atheist brothers and sisters, and I think I came up with the best solution to the puzzle

How about some of their other arguments that they use to support the need for religion?

3. religion is sexy

A fully integrated and validated philosophy that is based on objective reality and not
on mystical supernatural revelations and faith or belief in the imaginary. That would be my answer to the question of what should replace religion.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
11-06-2014, 11:57 AM
In a way, asking "How do you replace religion?" is like asking "How do you replace cancer?" Answer: You don't. You get rid of it (if you're lucky) and move on.
[+] 6 users Like Grasshopper's post
11-06-2014, 12:11 PM
(11-06-2014 11:57 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  In a way, asking "How do you replace religion?" is like asking "How do you replace cancer?" Answer: You don't. You get rid of it (if you're lucky) and move on.

And we know Mak Twain made the argument a hundred years ago, along with some other well known philosophers; but certainly before that time religion was a considerable help in organizing communities and society - what are you going to do with all the stupid people???

Do atheists believe that something beneficial will happen to improve stupid people subsequent to the demise of religion; and subsequently solve the problems of the world?

Will it mean that we will recognize who are more reasonable leaders are?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
11-06-2014, 12:12 PM
What the hell did I just read? Blink

(11-06-2014 11:20 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  The argument that I am contemplating is the one poses the question: what do atheists have as a replacement for religion?
Nothing because a replacement isn't needed.

(11-06-2014 11:20 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  I am not familiar with a consistent response from my critically thinking atheist brothers and sisters, and I think I came up with the best solution to the puzzle
Ok... and that would be...?

(11-06-2014 11:20 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  How about some of their other arguments that they use to support the need for religion?

3. religion is sexy
If this was supposed to be your "solution", I don't get it. Please speak English.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
11-06-2014, 02:49 PM
(11-06-2014 11:29 AM)One Above All Wrote:  What exactly does religion offer that can't be achieved without religion, aside from belief in deities?

The remission of sins.
11-06-2014, 02:59 PM
(11-06-2014 02:49 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 11:29 AM)One Above All Wrote:  What exactly does religion offer that can't be achieved without religion, aside from belief in deities?

The remission of sins.

= "You can do anything you like -- mass murder, rape, mayhem, theft, whatever -- and if you say The Magick Words, you are Forgiven™ and seen as Morally Perfect and you get the Big Prize." Hobo

Fucking moron.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
11-06-2014, 03:03 PM

The remission of sins.

Why would that be better?
11-06-2014, 03:29 PM

The remission of sins.

"Sin" is a product of religion. Therefore, when religion goes away, so does the need to "remiss" any "sins". Besides, that's not really an offer, is it? You "offer" a problem, then you "offer" the solution. Sounds more like "It's a shame such a nice window got broken... If only there was someone you could have payed in order to avoid that...".

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post