The Christians arguments for religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2014, 04:13 PM
RE: The Christians arguments for religion
(11-06-2014 11:20 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  The argument that I am contemplating is the one poses the question: what do atheists have as a replacement for religion?

I am not familiar with a consistent response from my critically thinking atheist brothers and sisters, and I think I came up with the best solution to the puzzle

How about some of their other arguments that they use to support the need for religion?

1. replacement for religion
2. religion guards morality
3. religion is sexy
4. religion keeps atheists on their toes
5. atheists wouldn't have anything to organize for

1. Why does religion need a replacement? There is nothing that religion does for society that can't be achieved by secular means. In case someone has no idea what the definition of secular means is: religion-neutral means.
2. The 1st question is as if atheism is competing philosophy or a competing worldview or something. Atheism is just disbelief of theistic claims. If theists would stop making claims about gods, there would be no atheists.
3. Secular (aka religion neutral morality) exists.
4. Facepalm
5. Facepalm
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2014, 04:25 PM
(11-06-2014 11:20 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  The argument that I am contemplating is the one poses the question: what do atheists have as a replacement for religion?

I am not familiar with a consistent response from my critically thinking atheist brothers and sisters, and I think I came up with the best solution to the puzzle

How about some of their other arguments that they use to support the need for religion?

Pharmaceuticals. Drinking Beverage

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-06-2014, 05:31 PM
(11-06-2014 12:12 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Ok... and that would be...?

Economics

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
11-06-2014, 05:45 PM
(11-06-2014 11:20 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  1. replacement for religion
3. religion is sexy

1. no need for a replacement. If anything, maybe the reverence of reality.
2. secular morality is superior to religious morality.
3. ?
4. I'd much rather see an end to religion. Although it is kind of fun deconstructing various religious arguments and finding the fallacies.
5. This would be a great thing! The idea of religions no longer having a negative effect on the world is why we organize in the first place.
11-06-2014, 05:47 PM
(11-06-2014 02:49 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 11:29 AM)One Above All Wrote:  What exactly does religion offer that can't be achieved without religion, aside from belief in deities?

The remission of sins.

An imaginary cure for a nonexistent disease.
[+] 5 users Like Simon Moon's post
11-06-2014, 06:13 PM
(11-06-2014 11:20 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  1. replacement for religion
3. religion is sexy

1. Where do you get the idea that it needs to be replaced in the first place? You don't replace a problem, you fix it.

2. Don't need a 2000 year old book to tell us what is right and wrong, especially when that same book gets it wrong by saying rape and murder is ok.

3. I don't even know what to say to that.

4. Yeah it does because religious idiots are non-stop. Without religion we wouldn't have to be on our toes and that would be a good thing. We wouldn't be so grumpy either.

5. We don't want to have to organize in the first place. If everyone would get with the 21st century and get with reality we could get on with our lives.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
11-06-2014, 10:55 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 11:18 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
Asking "If we got rid of religion, what would atheists organize for?" is like saying "If we rid the world of racism, what would anti-racist people organize for?" Yeah, we have to keep those racist people around, because without them, those of us who aren't racist people would be lost. Facepalm

In all honesty, if it wasn't for religious people constantly trying to infringe on the rights of others because something doesn't agree with THEIR religious beliefs, and trying to shove their religious crap down the throats of everybody else in society, no atheist would give a shit about religion. Religion itself doesn't bother me at all. Religion being used as a political tool to deny people their rights does bother me!

BTW, theists aren't stupid. Some believe, but don't really care if others don't. Most are just willfully ignorant because they don't want to consider the notion that something that they have been indoctrinated to believe in since childhood might not be true, especially when they are taught that their morality relies on their religious beliefs, as though they can not be morally good if they are not religious. That doesn't make them stupid.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
11-06-2014, 11:17 PM
(11-06-2014 02:49 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 11:29 AM)One Above All Wrote:  What exactly does religion offer that can't be achieved without religion, aside from belief in deities?

The remission of sins.

Sin = A bullshit problem the religious sell to others to get them to buy their bullshit cure. It's snake-oil, nothing more. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
12-06-2014, 06:38 PM

3. religion is sexy
I am a Christian and see no need for religion. The term religion is rather vague and can be applied to almost anything that people reverence in common with others.
12-06-2014, 07:08 PM
(11-06-2014 05:31 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 12:12 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Ok... and that would be...?

Economics

For a sleeping potion ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.