The Circumcision Argument.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2011, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2011 10:03 PM by Organon.)
RE: The Circumcision Argument.
(13-09-2011 11:17 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I used to be pro circumcision, but I took down my defensive feelings one time during a debate and tried to remain neutral and I completely swung sides. I'd be interested to hear more thoughts here. Smile

Firstly, my foreskin is something I hold very dear (no pun intended!). It shows me that my parents cared enough for their baby not to have him hurt. It also shows me that my parents weren't swayed by any religious, cultural or traditional more that required that their baby was mutilated. For any circumcised male that says it isn't mutilation, I'd ask what would you call female circumcision? Why the differentiation?

Secondly, I've never heard an argument FOR male circumcision from someone who hasn't been circumcised. I've had discussion with circumcised males, however, who wished they they were intact.

The Greeks and Romans abhorred any mutilation of the human body and this, apparently, is why male circumcision didn't become part of the Christian law when they designed Christianity, refusing to accept the Jewish tradition, which was a traditional practice handed down from the Canaanites/Hebrews who made the bloody foreskins of their male babies a sacrifice to Yahweh.

Regarding the infection issue as being reason for the lopping off, then why aren't other parts of the body removed at a young age to prevent infection? It's so obviously an ineffectual argument.

Glad you swung sides!
(28-08-2011 01:58 AM)Norseman Wrote:  You don't get it GirlyMan, I don't want it gone! And even if it has to go I would still be happy that I had one once. And so would my better half.

I am not grasping at straws Ghost. Like I said, in most of the world circumcision is exclusively a religious ritual.
I mentioned in an earlier post that the Norwegian department of health is trying to change the law so that no qualified professional can refuse to perform this surgery. In their justification for this they write that it is "an important part of several religious cultures". And that is not one of several arguments btw. It is the only one they make. In other words it touches very much on the question of freedom of religion.
The department under our previous government btw tried to ban the practice saying it was comparable to FGM, and a violation of the UN convention on the rights of the child.

Interesting post, Norseman. I was born in and grew up in the U.K. and I had never seen or heard of circumcision until I came to Australia, a country which although has British roots is, and has always been, swayed to a great extent by the USA, and circumcision, until recent times, was carried out almost routinely on all male babies.

I sometimes felt abnormal, when, in effect I should have felt just the opposite!

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2011, 01:46 AM
You really should read the thread.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
30-09-2011, 03:11 PM
It's really uncommon in Europe

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
30-09-2011, 07:28 PM
(30-09-2011 01:46 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  You really should read the thread.

Who?
30-09-2011, 09:13 PM
(30-09-2011 07:28 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  

Who?

Organon.

The whole comparison to female circumcision comparison plus comparing it to amputating other parts of the body as a preventative measure have been thoroughly trounced. Not saying it's touchdown, but those arguments are just not valid.

(sorry Jane, didn't mean that to sound directed at you)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
01-10-2011, 06:47 PM
(30-09-2011 09:13 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  

Who?

Organon.

The whole comparison to female circumcision comparison plus comparing it to amputating other parts of the body as a preventative measure have been thoroughly trounced. Not saying it's touchdown, but those arguments are just not valid.

Female circumcision....ouch!

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
01-10-2011, 07:27 PM
(30-09-2011 09:13 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  

Who?

Organon.

Oh okay! No worries, I just didn't know if I should be replying Smile

Though, I disagree anyway. I don't think that based on the grounds female circumcision is worse in pain or because it's illegal that that makes male circumcision ok or right. Male circ. is still painful and largely unmedicated to alleviate the pain, to the point of causing shock in some cases ('sleeping it off' is a form of shock in response to the pain) and I can think of a few things that arn't illegal that should be- legal doesn't always mean moral or just. I guess in my opinion these things weren't trounced in this thread or proven invalid, but people just have a different opinion on what it means, maybe.