The Closest Thing to Time Travel?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2015, 05:31 PM
RE: The Closest Thing to Time Travel?
Marty Robbins and Johnny Cash take me back to riding in the truck with dad going on calls with him. He always sang along and though he claimed to have a tin ear, he really sang the songs quite well. Bumping along gravel roads, going from farm to farm, listening to Robbins and Cash...some of my best memories of time spent with dad - unfortunately they were too few.

Traffic, Cat Stevens, Zappa - they weren't terribly mainstream in the middle of the cornfield. One of my best friends during high school had a big family and she was the second youngest of the crew. It was her brothers who introduced us to a lot of music no one else had heard much about - if it wasn't top 40 most of our peers weren't interested. Hearing songs from that time take me right back to their tiny, little house that was always filled with friends, books, conversation, and Italian food!

The song Vehicle (Ides of March) reminds me of the times spent with my first serious boyfriend. He was in a few different bands and at one point the lineup included horns - so not the norm - but they were able to play Chicago and Blood, Sweat, and Tears songs when no other band around could pull them off. I was a combination of roadie and groupie and the memories are fond ones.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2015, 05:10 PM
(07-07-2015 05:00 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  I firmly believe that music is the closest we will ever get to a Time Machine.

You can put on almost any random song you know and you instantly get all sorts of different reactions.

Madonna - True Blue
Whenever I hear this I am instantly transferred back to my bedroom as a child. Playing my ZX Spectrum while my sister blasted this song out all day.

Lindisfarne - Meet Me on the Corner
Straight back to an old pub I used to work in. When I hear the song now I can smell the cigarettes and beer. A regular in the pub used to put this on about 20 times a day.

Now on the downside, I struggle to listen to my favourite song. Probably the best song ever written.

Rainbow - Stargazer
At the time I had to learn the bass parts for this song for the band I was in at the time. So I was listening to it 40 times a day instead of my usual 20 lol

Now at the time I also found out my girlfriend at the time was cheating on me. I remember the horrible twisted feeling in my gut when I found out. Now whenever I hear this song now I instantly get that twisted feeling in my gut again. I'm not even thinking about my Ex, I'm not upset or anything but that feeling just comes in my stomach as soon as the song comes on. A shame really considering how awesome the song is.

Does anyone have these feelings with particular songs? Does music have the same impact on you?

The Power of Love - Huey Lewis and the News

This song always reminds me of time travel.

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam
[+] 1 user Likes ArchibaldFunkdust's post
22-07-2015, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2015 05:21 PM by cactus.)
Hey, I can make you travel through time. *pulls out chloroform*
Here, close your eyes for a second, I want to try something.

Your sense of smell is strongly linked with old memories, so the next time you smell chloroform, you can relive that time that you passed out in my basement. Thumbsup

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
24-07-2015, 06:27 PM
(22-07-2015 05:16 PM)cactus Wrote:  Hey, I can make you travel through time. *pulls out chloroform*
Here, close your eyes for a second, I want to try something.

Your sense of smell is strongly linked with old memories, so the next time you smell chloroform, you can relive that time that you passed out in my basement. Thumbsup

... And woke up with an ass like a yawning hippo?