The Cold War

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2013, 06:55 PM
The Cold War
I do think its cute that you didn't know the difference between The Soviet Union and Russia.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2013, 06:59 PM
RE: The Cold War
(21-05-2013 06:55 PM)I and I Wrote:  I do think its cute that you didn't know the difference between The Soviet Union and Russia.

It's cute you think the USSR was anything other than the new Russian Empire.

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
21-05-2013, 10:53 PM
(21-05-2013 06:59 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-05-2013 06:55 PM)I and I Wrote:  I do think its cute that you didn't know the difference between The Soviet Union and Russia.

It's cute you think the USSR was anything other than the new Russian Empire.

How was the USSR an empire? Who did they invade and impose their will on offensively? How many countries did they have military bases on outside the Soviet Union? How many times did they use coup attempts to put in dictators around the world?

It's cute how you call the USSR an empire yet you won't answer any of those questions to attempt to prove they were an empire. It's also cute that you don't consider the U.S. an empire. Rolleyes
21-05-2013, 11:27 PM
(21-05-2013 10:53 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(21-05-2013 06:59 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It's cute you think the USSR was anything other than the new Russian Empire.

How was the USSR an empire? Who did they invade and impose their will on offensively? How many countries did they have military bases on outside the Soviet Union? How many times did they use coup attempts to put in dictators around the world?

It's cute how you call the USSR an empire yet you won't answer any of those questions to attempt to prove they were an empire. It's also cute that you don't consider the U.S. an empire. Rolleyes

Invasion of Poland, Invasion of Finland, military occupations of Hungary and Romania, and that's just for starters.

And where the fuck did he say that he doesn't consider the US to be an empire? You need to stop putting words in people's mouths.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
22-05-2013, 01:17 AM
(21-05-2013 11:27 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(21-05-2013 10:53 PM)I and I Wrote:  How was the USSR an empire? Who did they invade and impose their will on offensively? How many countries did they have military bases on outside the Soviet Union? How many times did they use coup attempts to put in dictators around the world?

Invasion of Poland, Invasion of Finland, military occupations of Hungary and Romania, and that's just for starters.

And where the fuck did he say that he doesn't consider the US to be an empire? You need to stop putting words in people's mouths.

Poland and Finland was during WW2, after ww2 finland wasn't communist and had no communist government imposed on it from Russia, finland was seen to be a good area for an attack on Russia and many finlanders? fought with the nazis during operation barbarossa, so yeah quite understandable why russians invaded finland.

Invasion of Poland was done as a buffer to counter a german invasion again during ww2.

Again you are wrong about hungary, the hungarian communist revolution happened after their monarchy was deposed. read about it yourself, Russia did not invade Hungary and force it to become communist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_....931941.29

Again you are wrong about Romania, Romania was on the side of the Nazis and of course was attacked during ww2, then after ww2 the occupying communist party called for elections and guess what......the communists won the election. I know I know, any election that communists win aren't real elections Rolleyes

I like how all of your examples were before or during ww2. The title of the thread is the Cold War, not ww2 and not ww1. The Russians never imposed communism on anyone during the cold war, and of course occupied parts of europe as did the other allies during ww2.
27-05-2013, 09:20 AM
(21-05-2013 10:53 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(21-05-2013 06:59 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It's cute you think the USSR was anything other than the new Russian Empire.

Up to the 1980s, facilities were available to the Soviet Union at Cam Ranh Bay in Vietnam, Aden and the island of Socotra in South Yemen, Massawa and the island of Dahlak in Ethiopia, Luanda in Angola, and Maputo in Mozambique, Egypt (Till they kicked the soviets out.), Tartus in Syria, Cuba, The Seychelles, to name a few.

The Soviets invaded Czechoslovakia in 1968, Afghanistan in 1979.

Oh and the Soviets didn't need a war to kill millions, between 1924 an 1953 for example, during peace time (NOT including the WW2 figures.) They killed off between 6 and 9 million (Some put it as high as 20 million) of their own people. (Communist countries seemed to love killing off their own people, for example during Mao` so called communist regime, over 25 million (conservative figures, others put it higher around 40 million.) were killed off. In Pol Pot`s communist Cambodia, an 8th of the population was killed off, that`s over a million people.)

The Soviet Union, did not include, countries like Poland, Albania, Romania, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Hungary, East Germany. They were part of the Warsaw pact. Yugoslavia was an ally of the Soviets and not part of it.

"When you tell me that your Deity made you in his own image, I rely that he must have been very ugly."

Victor Hugo
[+] 3 users Like HappyUkAtheist's post
27-05-2013, 09:23 AM
(20-05-2013 06:29 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(20-05-2013 11:02 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Well, there was the Greek Civil War, wherein the Soviets gave aid to pro-communist rebel forces in fighting the west backed government of the time, which makes it describable as a proxy war between the West and Soviets.

The Korean War can be considered a proxy war of sorts, while intervention was mandated by the UN, the United States seized to opportunity to try to prevent the dominoes from falling any more than they had done so already in Asia. If I remember correctly, the Soviets supplied the North Koreans from the beginning of the invasion all the way to the Stalemate at the 38th parallel.

The Soviet war in Afghanistan was a proxy war directly against the Soviets. The West supplied the Mujahideen with weapons, intelligence and other aid and used them to fight the Soviet occupation forces.

The Soviets supplied the Viet Cong in Vietnam against the pro-West South Vietnamese Government and their US lead allies during the war.

Conflicts between Israel and the Arab nations around it have been called proxy wars also, with the US proxy being Israel while the Soviets backed the Arab States e.g. Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan Syria etc.

Cuba. The US backed Batista against the Revolution, and supported the attempts made by the Cuban exiles to depose of Castro, whist the USSR supported Castro and sent aid after he (Castro) was in power.

Soviet placement of IRBMs in Cuba could be considered an act preparatory to a proxy war, using Cuba as a strategic proxy nation. The same can of course be said about the US placing strike-capable IRBMs throughout Europe. Not entirely a proxy war, but they would be considered steps toward it one, kind of like some sort of "proxy armament".

"backing" doing business with certain countries isn't a "war"

Invading Vietnam and killing 3 million vietnamese, that is a war. The Soviets defending against U.S. backed alqaeda (wink wink mujahadeen)

Doing business with Cuba is not an attack on the U.S......(here comes the turkey missle crisis topic)

Aiding a nationalist movement to free itself from colonialism (vietnam and Korea) is not a war.

How many countries did Russia invade? And the thread dies with that question.

Not only invade, but prop up and physically put dictators in power. The Russians supported leaders and movements that already existed, like Ho Chi Minh, these weren't creations of Russian attempts to control the world, the nationalist movements that the Soviets helped were popular before the Soviets started helping them. Mao, and Ho Chi Minh for example were already popular long before the Soviets started helping them. And really, did the Soviets need to help asians figure out that living under imperialism wasn't fun?
Drinking Beverage

Your number of 3,000,000 is not substantiated. Please provide evidence for this grossly inflated number.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-05-2013, 10:49 PM
(27-05-2013 09:20 AM)HappyUkAtheist Wrote:  
(21-05-2013 10:53 PM)I and I Wrote:  How was the USSR an empire? Who did they invade and impose their will on offensively? How many countries did they have military bases on outside the Soviet Union? How many times did they use coup attempts to put in dictators around the world?

Up to the 1980s, facilities were available to the Soviet Union at Cam Ranh Bay in Vietnam, Aden and the island of Socotra in South Yemen, Massawa and the island of Dahlak in Ethiopia, Luanda in Angola, and Maputo in Mozambique, Egypt (Till they kicked the soviets out.), Tartus in Syria, Cuba, The Seychelles, to name a few.

Oh and the Soviets didn't need a war to kill millions, between 1924 an 1953 for example, during peace time (NOT including the WW2 figures.) They killed off between 6 and 9 million (Some put it as high as 20 million) of their own people. (Communist countries seemed to love killing off their own people, for example during Mao` so called communist regime, over 25 million (conservative figures, others put it higher around 40 million.) were killed off. In Pol Pot`s communist Cambodia, an 8th of the population was killed off, that`s over a million people.)

The Soviet Union, did not include, countries like Poland, Albania, Romania, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Hungary, East Germany. They were part of the Warsaw pact. Yugoslavia was an ally of the Soviets and not part of it.

The Soviets invaded afghanistan because the U.S. was starting funding and aiding alqaeda in Afghanistan. You have a problem with fighting alqaeda?

Name any country that had communsim imposed on it from Russia. The countries you mentioned either I have already responded to (read previous posts) or had popular communist leaders and parties already. The Soviet Union didn't need to tell third world countries that being a colony sucks. Many third world workers rose up on their own and then after the fact the soviets came in tried to influence the already growing anti-colonialist movements. The Anti-colonialist movements were not at result of Soviet military invasions or occupations.

"facilities were available" that means the russians didn't have bases there, they just docked there or used them from time to time, THIS IS EXTREMELY DIFFERENT THAN U.S. BASES THAT ARE BUILT BY AND FOR THE U.S. THAT EXIST ALL OVER THE WORLD. Some of the nations you mentioned were nations that had soviet troops in them due to fighting the nazis, that is stupid to even count ww2, unless you want to apply that to all allied nations. Germany had a very popular communist party after ww2, this was not due to the Soviet Union forcing it's way on them, The german communist party was so popular just several years before ww2 that people thought there would be a communist revolution there.
28-05-2013, 02:59 AM
(27-05-2013 10:49 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(27-05-2013 09:20 AM)HappyUkAtheist Wrote:  Up to the 1980s, facilities were available to the Soviet Union at Cam Ranh Bay in Vietnam, Aden and the island of Socotra in South Yemen, Massawa and the island of Dahlak in Ethiopia, Luanda in Angola, and Maputo in Mozambique, Egypt (Till they kicked the soviets out.), Tartus in Syria, Cuba, The Seychelles, to name a few.

The Soviets invaded afghanistan because the U.S. was starting funding and aiding alqaeda in Afghanistan. You have a problem with fighting alqaeda?

Name any country that had communsim imposed on it from Russia. The countries you mentioned either I have already responded to (read previous posts) or had popular communist leaders and parties already. The Soviet Union didn't need to tell third world countries that being a colony sucks. Many third world workers rose up on their own and then after the fact the soviets came in tried to influence the already growing anti-colonialist movements. The Anti-colonialist movements were not at result of Soviet military invasions or occupations.

"facilities were available" that means the russians didn't have bases there, they just docked there or used them from time to time, THIS IS EXTREMELY DIFFERENT THAN U.S. BASES THAT ARE BUILT BY AND FOR THE U.S. THAT EXIST ALL OVER THE WORLD. Some of the nations you mentioned were nations that had soviet troops in them due to fighting the nazis, that is stupid to even count ww2, unless you want to apply that to all allied nations. Germany had a very popular communist party after ww2, this was not due to the Soviet Union forcing it's way on them, The german communist party was so popular just several years before ww2 that people thought there would be a communist revolution there.

Well said Sir, these yankees think they r the only cute, smart people out there and they r the justice providers of the world. Look at the way they fucked Pakistan by supporting that crank Zia Ul Haq just to keep the war in Afghanistan going and ruined that country.