The Concept of a Postmortem Preservation of Identity is Inconceivable.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2012, 03:28 PM
RE: The Concept of a Postmortem Preservation of Identity is Inconceivable.
(03-11-2012 03:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 03:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  And yet, for some unknown reason, you apparently did not accept that, and for decades earned a living telling others not to accept that. What's up with that?
We have a target-rich environment, Girly; why are you engaging the friendlies?

'Cause I couldn't give less of a shit about their juvenile metaphysics, Chas. Hellbound, on the other hand, is far more interesting and curious.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2012, 03:29 PM
(03-11-2012 03:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What's up with that?

Better than diggin' ditches. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
03-11-2012, 03:52 PM
(03-11-2012 03:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 03:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  We have a target-rich environment, Girly; why are you engaging the friendlies?

'Cause I couldn't give less of a shit about their juvenile metaphysics, Chas. Hellbound, on the other hand, is far more interesting and curious.
You make an excellent argument. Consider

I'm in. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2012, 04:33 PM
(03-11-2012 03:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 02:55 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What's to consider?
The bible has one thing right: "Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return" (Genesis 3:19).

Problem is, it occurs early on. The rest of the pages are untenable. At least, for anything other than rolling papers.

And yet, for some unknown reason, you apparently did not accept that, and for decades earned a living telling others not to accept that. What's up with that?
I didn't know about rolling papers back then.

And...I bought into Groupthink. If you never leave the Evangelical Ghetto, you never have to worry about dealing with contradictory information. If no one that you look up to as an authority figure points out how much energy you've been spending on cognitive dissonance, you come to think you're actually a happy fuck. Go figure. Shocking

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
03-11-2012, 06:07 PM
BTW, Girly, here's a link to a recent SciFri blurb. Looks like they're closing in on the molecular method of memory formation.
http://sciencefriday.com/playlist/#play/segment/8929

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
04-11-2012, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2012 10:36 AM by GirlyMan.)
(03-11-2012 06:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  BTW, Girly, here's a link to a recent SciFri blurb. Looks like they're closing in on the molecular method of memory formation.

Even more interesting is why not just define personal identity as the individual's DNA? It at least allows for a partial postmortem preservation of identity through procreation. Apart from the problem of how DNA expresses itself as "personhood", a second difficulty with this concept is that 90% of the DNA in my body isn't mine at all, but rather belongs to a bunch of little critters just along for the ride. And yet a third objection is that DNA strands can change over time with mutation or environmental damage.

I couldn't find a whole lot on this interpretation but I did find this interesting paper from a guy at Queen's College, Canada. He identified the first 2 difficulties, not sure why he didn't bring up the third.

A New Look At Personal Identity

Also not sure why he calls it a "new" look, guess it's cause he's considering DNA, but he ends up in the same place as the existentialists.

EDIT: WTF?!? If I follow the Google link I get to see the whole paper but if I link directly to it I have to subscribe? WTF?!?
Here's the Google page, first link.

Fuck, now none of them work. Ah fuck it, you'll just have to take my word for it.

04-11-2012, 10:24 AM
(04-11-2012 10:16 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 06:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  BTW, Girly, here's a link to a recent SciFri blurb. Looks like they're closing in on the molecular method of memory formation.

Even more interesting is why not just define personal identity as the individual's DNA? It at least allows for a partial postmortem preservation of identity through procreation. Apart from the problem of how DNA expresses itself as "personhood", a second difficulty with this concept is that 90% of the DNA in my body isn't mine at all, but rather belongs to a bunch of little critters just along for the ride. And yet a third objection is that DNA strands can change over time with mutation or environmental damage.

I couldn't find a whole lot on this interpretation but I did find this interesting paper from a guy at Queen's College, Canada. He identified the first 2 difficulties, not sure why he didn't bring up the third.

Also not sure why he calls it a "new" look, guess it's cause he's considering DNA, but he ends up in the same place as the existentialists.
Also the idea that at any given nanosecond, or instant of Plank-time, ANYTHING is "fixed" is fallacious. It's ALL in constant motion, (even the DNA atoms), and subject to the randomness of Quantum Mechanics. We may be "substantially" the same person we were a nano-second ago, but we are not "exactly" the same.

04-11-2012, 10:41 AM
(04-11-2012 10:24 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 10:16 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Even more interesting is why not just define personal identity as the individual's DNA? It at least allows for a partial postmortem preservation of identity through procreation. Apart from the problem of how DNA expresses itself as "personhood", a second difficulty with this concept is that 90% of the DNA in my body isn't mine at all, but rather belongs to a bunch of little critters just along for the ride. And yet a third objection is that DNA strands can change over time with mutation or environmental damage.

Also the idea that at any given nanosecond, or instant of Plank-time, ANYTHING is "fixed" is fallacious. It's ALL in constant motion, (even the DNA atoms), and subject to the randomness of Quantum Mechanics. We may be "substantially" the same person we were a nano-second ago, but we are not "exactly" the same.

Ship of Theseus

04-11-2012, 11:49 AM
(04-11-2012 10:16 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

EDIT: WTF?!? If I follow the Google link I get to see the whole paper but if I link directly to it I have to subscribe? WTF?!?
Here's the Google page, first link.

Fuck, now none of them work. Ah fuck it, you'll just have to take my word for it.
I'll find it. Thanks.
There is also the discussion in Neuro-science, (old now ?), that each time a memory is recalled, it's basically rewritten, and at least slightly altered.

04-11-2012, 11:51 AM
(04-11-2012 11:49 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There is also the discussion in Neuro-science, (old now ?), that each time a memory is recalled, it's basically rewritten, and at least slightly altered.

Sounds like flash memory.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user