The Concept of a Postmortem Preservation of Identity is Inconceivable.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2012, 06:27 AM
RE: The Concept of a Postmortem Preservation of Identity is Inconceivable.
(05-11-2012 06:25 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 06:20 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I disagree with the idea that it is inconceivable. Think way back to when Jules Verne wrote 20,000 leagues under the sea. It was not at the time even close to possible to build a submarine that could stay down for months or years at a time. We now have subs that can stay under for at least a decade if they carry enough food to sustain the crew. Only 20 years ago maybe less, it was not possible to identify if the brain of an individual being questioned recognised something or someone. We understand more about the brain every day. All we need in theory is something that can take the place of the brain. Who knows, maybe life will be about working every day until you die and either right after death or just before getting downloaded into a computer for an afterlife of your choosing. I have always seen the brain as just a highly sophisticated computer. All we need to do is figure out the code and we should be easily able to transfer things from the brain to a computer and maybe someday from a computer to a brain.
I think we're talking about different things. Girly was talking about the 100% biologically based post-mortem survival, as proposed by religions. (I assume). I agree 100% with you that at some point, brains will be mapped and "saved" somehow. Kurzweil thinks it's sooner than later. I'm not sure. I suspect there will be attempts at it in the next 50-100 years.

I was thinking that someone would try it sooner than that. Maybe 20 years or less from now.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2012, 01:54 AM
Damn you, Girly and the fucking metaphysical horse you rode on. Censored

fuckinggirlyfillingmyheadwiththatmetaphysicalvoodooshitandmakingmycomfortablynumbbrainwhirlaroundinmyheadtoomuchandimstartingtofeellike

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
06-11-2012, 04:41 AM
(06-11-2012 01:54 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  

Ugh! When will people learn that you simply do not cover Pink Floyd? No

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
06-11-2012, 07:31 AM
(06-11-2012 04:41 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 01:54 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  

Ugh! When will people learn that you simply do not cover Pink Floyd? No
Except Australian Pink Floyd.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2012, 07:34 AM
(06-11-2012 07:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 04:41 AM)Vera Wrote:  Ugh! When will people learn that you simply do not cover Pink Floyd? No

Except Australian Pink Floyd.
That's gotta be one of the saddest things I've seen (and I've seen heaps of creative impotence). Actually, the saddest thing is they are obviously not talentless.

06-11-2012, 07:36 AM
(06-11-2012 07:34 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 07:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  Except Australian Pink Floyd.
That's gotta be one of the saddest things I've seen (and I've seen heaps of creative impotence). Actually, the saddest thing is they are obviously not talentless.

You don't like rock. You don't get to have an opinion. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
06-11-2012, 07:45 AM
(06-11-2012 07:36 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 07:34 AM)Vera Wrote:  That's gotta be one of the saddest things I've seen (and I've seen heaps of creative impotence). Actually, the saddest thing is they are obviously not talentless.

You don't like rock. You don't get to have an opinion. Tongue
Wha...? What vulgar abuse is this? Who told you I don't like rock? Have I been coming to these boards, totally drunk off my face and talking crap? 'course I do like it, I don't listen to it as much as I used to, but I'll have you know I grew up on Pink Floyd Ohmy

EDIT: Oh, sorry, thought it was aimed at me... okay, I'll leave now and get back to work Sad

06-11-2012, 10:58 AM
(06-11-2012 07:45 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 07:36 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  You don't like rock. You don't get to have an opinion. Tongue
Wha...? What vulgar abuse is this? Who told you I don't like rock? Have I been coming to these boards, totally drunk off my face and talking crap? 'course I do like it, I don't listen to it as much as I used to, but I'll have you know I grew up on Pink Floyd Ohmy

EDIT: Oh, sorry, thought it was aimed at me... okay, I'll leave now and get back to work Sad

No, it was aimed at you.

All I've heard since you've come on these boards is how much electric guitars hurt your tiny, fragile, lamb ears. Evil_monster

~Izel
06-11-2012, 11:14 AM
(06-11-2012 10:58 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 07:45 AM)Vera Wrote:  Wha...? What vulgar abuse is this? Who told you I don't like rock? Have I been coming to these boards, totally drunk off my face and talking crap? 'course I do like it, I don't listen to it as much as I used to, but I'll have you know I grew up on Pink Floyd Ohmy

No, it was aimed at you.

All I've heard since you've come on these boards is how much electric guitars hurt your tiny, fragile, lamb ears. Evil_monster
And since when is rock all about electric guitars Huh I have an extremely low threshold when it comes to loud (grating) sounds, that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good progressive or art rock band, when I hear one.

And my ears are just the right size, thank you very much.

06-11-2012, 11:19 AM
(06-11-2012 11:14 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 10:58 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  No, it was aimed at you.

And since when is rock all about electric guitars Huh I have an extremely low threshold when it comes to loud (grating) sounds, that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good progressive or art rock band, when I hear one.

And my ears are just the right size, thank you very much.
Sorry about the ears. Didn't mean to pick on something that's obviously such a sensitive subject for you. Evil_monster

EDIT: Oh, and in retrospect, it wasn't "vulgar abuse", it was "Bulgar abuse." Big Grin

~Izel