The Confederate flag

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2015, 08:05 PM
The Confederate flag
My husband is from South Carolina and his dad is probably the only atheist democrat in the entire state. He's bitched about that flag for decades. Anyway, when my husband went to college there many years ago, some of the dorm inhabitants would fly the Confederate flag in their windows. My husband (about 20 at the time) and his theatre buddies would climb up to the second floor window in the middle of the night, take a couple flags down, burn them, put the burnt pieces in an envelope and stick them in the flag owner's mail boxes. Big Grin Evil_monster

Some of the Southern college women fancied themselves to be Scarlett O'hara and used to have Confederate balls with the guys in Confederate military costumes and the girls in Gone With the Wind style ball gowns. During one of these Confederate celebrations it was pouring rain outside. Hubby and college friends phoned in-- claiming to be the fire department and that everyone needed to vacate the pavillon because of a fire hazard. Illegal, yes, but worth the fun to see dozens of angry Scarlett and Ashley Wilks' all wet in dripping hoop skirts, flattened hair and saturated, old timey Confederate dress uniforms. Smartass

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
23-06-2015, 08:19 PM
RE: The Confederate flag
I don't mind seeing it on bumper stickers or belt-buckles ... it's pretty convenient to have people putting up this shorthand for "I'm a retard."
[+] 9 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
23-06-2015, 08:22 PM
(23-06-2015 08:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Illegal, yes, but worth the fun to see dozens of angry Scarlett and Ashley Wilks' all wet in dripping hoop skirts, flattened hair and saturated, old timey Confederate dress uniforms. Smartass

I never knew Ashley was a cross-dresser. Who'd a thunk it ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-06-2015, 08:53 PM
(23-06-2015 08:19 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I don't mind seeing it on bumper stickers or belt-buckles ... it's pretty convenient to have people putting up this shorthand for "I'm a retard."

The few times I've visited the South I'm amazed at how much they live in the past. And I mean, waaaaaaaaaay in the past. They discuss the Civil War as if it were yesterday. Funnily enough, I'm closely related to General Sherman and there are more than a few of my husband's Southern family who absolutely won't talk to me. There are a couple cousins who won't even be in the same room with me. It's highly amusing! Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
23-06-2015, 08:54 PM
I'm a leaning-towards-Democrat atheist in SC. But I'm not nearly as cool as your husband.

As far as this flag deal goes, I never really put much thought into it (it seems like the only people that do are the rednecks that make it their life's logo and those that think it's inherently racist), but I'd be perfectly content to see it go.
23-06-2015, 09:14 PM
Oh my god - when I took my son to the water park there were guys wearing swim trunks with the stars and bars (along with their University of Alabama tattoos). Row tide. Laughat

I don't know what rocks these people crawl out from under, but I tend to only see inbred white trash at The Walmark and public swimming pools.

Agreed Thumpy - it's like flashing hazard lights.

I'm not going to take anyone wearing rebel flag shit seriously unless its tips on how to gut a deer, why my refrigerator is making funny noises, plumbing, or figuring out what the fuck is wrong with my car - Rednecks are good at fixing stuff.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
23-06-2015, 09:25 PM
Around where I live, people fly confederate flags on the backs of their pickup trucks.

Shit, I saw a truck the other day, totally caked in mud, that had both a full-sized confederate and a Christian flag mounted on the back, and a giant red, white, and blue crucifix decal on the back window.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
23-06-2015, 09:26 PM
(23-06-2015 09:25 PM)cactus Wrote:  Around where I live, people fly confederate flags on the backs of their pickup trucks.

Shit, I saw a truck the other day, totally caked in mud, that had both a full-sized confederate and a Christian flag mounted on the back, and a giant red, white, and blue crucifix decal on the back window.

I bet the driver of that has used the phrase "Book learnin" in a non-ironic way.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
23-06-2015, 09:28 PM
(23-06-2015 09:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(23-06-2015 09:25 PM)cactus Wrote:  Around where I live, people fly confederate flags on the backs of their pickup trucks.

I bet the driver of that has used the phrase "Book learnin" in a non-ironic way.

I wish it had truck nuts, too. That would have completed the ensemble.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
23-06-2015, 09:33 PM
(23-06-2015 09:28 PM)cactus Wrote:  
(23-06-2015 09:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I bet the driver of that has used the phrase "Book learnin" in a non-ironic way.

I wish it had truck nuts, too. That would have completed the ensemble.

And a Joe Dirt haircut.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post