The Confederate flag

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2015, 09:26 AM
RE: The Confederate flag
(26-06-2015 09:07 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Apple has already since then reconfigured exactly what they're doing. They're keeping historically fitting games that have the flag. But when it comes to awful Iphone type games, there is often racist fueling trash that is made and put up without much strife.

I'm just going to raise a point of order here: when speaking of the mobile games market, "trash" is to be assumed.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Regardless of the cultural inferences any single person might project onto that flag it is unquestionably the banner of an enemy of the USA - a nation which engaged in an extremely bloody and nearly ruinous act of war against this country... and lost. Incorporating that symbol onto any official product of the USA or any of its states is not only inappropriate, it ought to be considered treasonous in my opinion. It has no place on our currency or any official documents, monuments, buildings, etc.

My own personal feelings about what that flag symbolizes are somewhat complex. I can certainly acknowledge that there's a LOT more to "Southern Pride" than being pro-slavery. I'm sure there are plenty of southerners who appreciate that flag who hate slavery just as much as I do. To me, at the end of the day, it's another country's flag, if people want to wear it on t-shirts or fly it in front of their houses, fine - but it has no business being on anything official. I come from Boston where there are a shitload of Irish people (including me). I'm fine with the Irish flag being painted on the wall in a bar, but I wouldn't want to see it on MA license plates or flying in front of the state house.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
26-06-2015, 10:18 AM
This is stupid.

Quote:Walmart has already conceded, and has already pulled all Confederate-flag themed merchandise from its shelves even while it continues to sell merchandise featuring the likeness of Fidel Castro’s murderous henchman Che Guevara.

Idiotic twat! The difference is that we don't fly a Cuban flag on the grounds of a government building, but if someone did you can bet your black lace panties the rightwingers would scream bloody murder. But hey, it's ok to fly a flag that symbolized states rights to......HAVE AND KEEP SLAVES.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
26-06-2015, 02:28 PM
I haven't read the entire thread, it's just too much. But, being a born and raised southerner, I'd like to throw in my $0.02... There are three things that I have had my fill of and hope I never have to endure again: 1) cheap beer, 2) country music, and 3) rebel flags. By the way, nobody I know ever called it a confederate flag. They called it a rebel flag. For some it is a symbol of hatred. For many it is just a symbol of the redneck lifestyle and a surefire identifier of a dumbass.

I was a big Dukes of Hazzard fan as a kid. But, I don't give a flyin' fist f*** about the stupid rebel flag. Now, if you try to ban daisy dukes you and me might have a problem. Unless, you look good in them and are actively removing them in my presence... Big Grin

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
26-06-2015, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2015 04:22 PM by Nurse.)
Wait wait wait. Southern pride does not equate with racism and flying the rebel flag.
Inducing eye rolling in 3...2...1...

Sure I have a problem with it being flown on government buildings, but if Billy Bob McCountry wants to wear it and advertise that he's a dumbass, that's his prerogative - free speech and I don't consider it treasonous - I've never seen one of those guys say "Fuck 'merica!"... Ok...maaaaybe "the South will rise again!" Tongue

It's a historical flag, and I have no problem with it being flown on Civil War monuments. There's a cemetery in my hometown where a few of the graves have them and are well kept (as opposed to the eye sore on I-65, the flags are all ratty) - they were officers who died in battle.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
26-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Southern pride is a bizarre tinge that I think comes form some desire for sanctity of their essence.

Oddly there are studies of testing for and finding a Southern Pride by having people across the US tested on if their mental & emotional states are different after being randomly insulted. People who identified as southern showed that they were bothered much more about being ridiculed. It's like there is actually something to their personal opinions of themselves that has this desire for respect. Others don't really care so much if they're disrespected.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
26-06-2015, 04:23 PM
(26-06-2015 04:15 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Wait wait wait. Southern pride does not equate with racism and flying the rebel flag.
Inducing eye rolling in 3...2...1...
http://youtu.be/xikkNFIcJes

Sure I have a problem with it being flown on government buildings, but if Billy Bob McCountry wants to wear it and advertise that he's a dumbass, that's his prerogative - free speech and I don't consider it treasonous - I've never seen one of those guys say "Fuck 'merica!"... Ok...maaaaybe "the South will rise again!" Tongue

It's a historical flag, and I have no problem with it being flown on Civil War monuments. There's a cemetery in my hometown where a few of the graves have them and are well kept (as opposed to the eye sore on I-65, the flags are all ratty) - they were officers who died in battle.

First, you have to sort out which flag is which. Facepalm

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
26-06-2015, 04:45 PM
(25-06-2015 06:15 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I suppose I should go around in a burka because being white is a sign of oppression. Dodgy

[Image: burka_1.jpg]

#sigh
26-06-2015, 05:00 PM
(26-06-2015 04:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-06-2015 06:15 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I suppose I should go around in a burka because being white is a sign of oppression. Dodgy

[Image: burka_1.jpg]

Maybe you could try on this disguise

[Image: 3014952_orig.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
26-06-2015, 08:29 PM
A few political cartoons that caught my eye

[Image: dfc248753fbe2499e9005ca1308e052a.jpg]

[Image: gun-nuts.jpg]

[Image: CONFED-morin.gif&op=noop]

[Image: upload558965d6ebf3c.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post