The Confederate flag

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2015, 09:13 PM
RE: The Confederate flag
Although I'm from the mid-west, I've lived most of my life in the south and have come to know and love much about it. For a long time I never understood the fixation on the civil war and the Rebel Flag. It seemed like it should be a symbol of shame rather than a badge of honor? I've always chalked it up to the people of the south still like to consider themselves a force to be reckoned with.

Obviously it's a trait that runs deep in the genetic ancestry of the southern states but did you know that this difference in culture has actually been scientifically studied?

Total "Ah-ha" moment for me when I saw this:

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Grassy Knoll's post
26-06-2015, 11:26 PM
(26-06-2015 04:21 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Southern pride is a bizarre tinge that I think comes form some desire for sanctity of their essence.

Oddly there are studies of testing for and finding a Southern Pride by having people across the US tested on if their mental & emotional states are different after being randomly insulted. People who identified as southern showed that they were bothered much more about being ridiculed. It's like there is actually something to their personal opinions of themselves that has this desire for respect. Others don't really care so much if they're disrespected.

Well, that's just fucking stupid. What kind of asshole would do a study like that?
Find all posts by this user
27-06-2015, 04:33 AM
(26-06-2015 04:21 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's like there is actually something to their personal opinions of themselves that has this desire for respect.

A bit like the Germans after losing WWI.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
27-06-2015, 09:36 AM
This gal took matters into her own hands today! Too religious for my taste but she got the deed done.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
27-06-2015, 09:48 AM
religious nutter Laugh out load
still, that was awesome

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
27-06-2015, 09:50 AM

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
27-06-2015, 10:09 AM
(27-06-2015 09:48 AM)cactus Wrote:  religious nutter Laugh out load
still, that was awesome

I realize that the powers that be will put the flag back up. I think it will take a 2/3ds majority vote to have it removed but it must have been very satisfying to remove that eyesore even if for a few minutes.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
27-06-2015, 10:11 AM
(27-06-2015 10:09 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(27-06-2015 09:48 AM)cactus Wrote:  religious nutter Laugh out load
still, that was awesome

I realize that the powers that be will put the flag back up. I think it will take a 2/3ds majority vote to have it removed but it must have been very satisfying to remove that eyesore even if for a few minutes.

Are you sure it’s not 3/5? They have a thing for 3/5 you know.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
27-06-2015, 10:25 AM
(27-06-2015 10:11 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Are you sure it’s not 3/5? They have a thing for 3/5 you know.

Laugh out load

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
27-06-2015, 02:18 PM
(26-06-2015 09:13 PM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  Although I'm from the mid-west, I've lived most of my life in the south and have come to know and love much about it. For a long time I never understood the fixation on the civil war and the Rebel Flag. It seemed like it should be a symbol of shame rather than a badge of honor? I've always chalked it up to the people of the south still like to consider themselves a force to be reckoned with.

Obviously it's a trait that runs deep in the genetic ancestry of the southern states but did you know that this difference in culture has actually been scientifically studied?

Total "Ah-ha" moment for me when I saw this:

Interesting. Makes sense. The honor/respect/manners aspect of the culture - definitely - I admittedly have a short fuse with that kind of thing. Would also explain why the men tend to be stoic.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post