The Confederate flag

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2015, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2015 09:56 PM by Free Thought.)
RE: The Confederate flag
(23-06-2015 08:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My husband is from South Carolina and his dad is probably the only atheist democrat in the entire state. He's bitched about that flag for decades. Anyway, when my husband went to college there many years ago, some of the dorm inhabitants would fly the Confederate flag in their windows. My husband (about 20 at the time) and his theatre buddies would climb up to the second floor window in the middle of the night, take a couple flags down, burn them, put the burnt pieces in an envelope and stick them in the flag owner's mail boxes. Big Grin Evil_monster

Some of the Southern college women fancied themselves to be Scarlett O'hara and used to have Confederate balls with the guys in Confederate military costumes and the girls in Gone With the Wind style ball gowns. During one of these Confederate celebrations it was pouring rain outside. Hubby and college friends phoned in-- claiming to be the fire department and that everyone needed to vacate the pavillon because of a fire hazard. Illegal, yes, but worth the fun to see dozens of angry Scarlett and Ashley Wilks' all wet in dripping hoop skirts, flattened hair and saturated, old timey Confederate dress uniforms. Smartass

I've never understood the whole Confederate Flag thing. I see one of those things from way down here and all I can think is "Motherfucker, you lost and were always going to. Get over it and get rid of that ridiculous relic."

While I am sure there are plenty, at the moment I can't think of anywhere but the South US where people still hold fondly to the symbol and idea of their failed rebellion despite of being fully integrated members of the nation they tried and failed to beat.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
23-06-2015, 09:59 PM
(23-06-2015 09:52 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(23-06-2015 08:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My husband is from South Carolina and his dad is probably the only atheist democrat in the entire state. He's bitched about that flag for decades. Anyway, when my husband went to college there many years ago, some of the dorm inhabitants would fly the Confederate flag in their windows. My husband (about 20 at the time) and his theatre buddies would climb up to the second floor window in the middle of the night, take a couple flags down, burn them, put the burnt pieces in an envelope and stick them in the flag owner's mail boxes. Big Grin Evil_monster

Some of the Southern college women fancied themselves to be Scarlett O'hara and used to have Confederate balls with the guys in Confederate military costumes and the girls in Gone With the Wind style ball gowns. During one of these Confederate celebrations it was pouring rain outside. Hubby and college friends phoned in-- claiming to be the fire department and that everyone needed to vacate the pavillon because of a fire hazard. Illegal, yes, but worth the fun to see dozens of angry Scarlett and Ashley Wilks' all wet in dripping hoop skirts, flattened hair and saturated, old timey Confederate dress uniforms. Smartass

I've never understood the whole Confederate Flag thing. I see one of those things from way down here and all I can think is "Motherfucker, you lost and were always going to. Get over it and get rid of that ridiculous relic."

While I am sure there are plenty, at the moment I can't think of anywhere but the South US where people still hold fondly to the symbol and idea of their failed rebellion despite of being fully integrated members of the nation they tried and failed to beat.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
23-06-2015, 10:31 PM
(23-06-2015 08:53 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(23-06-2015 08:19 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I don't mind seeing it on bumper stickers or belt-buckles ... it's pretty convenient to have people putting up this shorthand for "I'm a retard."

The few times I've visited the South I'm amazed at how much they live in the past. And I mean, waaaaaaaaaay in the past. They discuss the Civil War as if it were yesterday. Funnily enough, I'm closely related to General Sherman and there are more than a few of my husband's Southern family who absolutely won't talk to me. There are a couple cousins who won't even be in the same room with me. It's highly amusing! Laugh out load

I haven't seen that, myself. But in the South, I've only lived in Texas, and Tennessee, neither of which are part of the hardcore South.
23-06-2015, 10:38 PM
(23-06-2015 09:52 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

They're the whores who embrace the tramp stamp.
24-06-2015, 03:47 AM
(23-06-2015 09:28 PM)cactus Wrote:  
(23-06-2015 09:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I bet the driver of that has used the phrase "Book learnin" in a non-ironic way.

I wish it had truck nuts, too. That would have completed the ensemble.

Fun to have.

Get about a 8 foot length of steel wire (safety wire, or electric fence wire work well) and form a slipknot at one end..... Crawl under the truck (usually easy - because the morons jack them up two feet) tie the one end through the universal joint on the driveshaft -- and put the slipknot around the "trucknuts"....

High speed castration....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
24-06-2015, 04:07 AM
I am Australian, so forgive my ignorance, the Confederates, they were the fascists who lost, right?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-06-2015, 04:48 AM
(24-06-2015 04:07 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I am Australian, so forgive my ignorance, the Confederates, they were the fascists who lost, right?

Only if you ask a Northerner.....

If you ask a hardcore Southerner they'll insist the fascism shoe is on the other foot....

But yeah -- the CSA lost. (Confederate States of America)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
24-06-2015, 07:23 AM
(24-06-2015 04:07 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I am Australian, so forgive my ignorance, the Confederates, they were the fascists who lost, right?

Ahem, Southerner here Big Grin

Nurses's Down 'n Dirty History Lesson as taught to her in the Dirty South:

The North was fucking over the South with unfair taxes.
The South had a legal right to secede - so they did.
Abe Lincoln got pissed and declared an illegal war.
North had factories which could produce guns n shit while the South was primarily agricultural, so the North won, while burning down almost every plantation, school, and college along the way.
After the North won and burned practically everything to the ground and left our women destitute because all the men were dead, the North decided that the South should be punished for their actions and still unfairly taxed them.
To this day the North persists to make fun of the South for being poor, when they're the ones who destroyed the Southern economy in the first place.
And they talk funny.

Notice I didn't include slavery in this overview - slavery was a secondary issue.

And that boys n girls, is why the South is still pissed at the North.

The End

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
24-06-2015, 07:57 AM
(24-06-2015 07:23 AM)Nurse Wrote:  

Ahem, Southerner here Big Grin

Nurses's Down 'n Dirty History Lesson as taught to her in the Dirty South:

The North was fucking over the South with unfair taxes.
The South had a legal right to secede - so they did.
Abe Lincoln got pissed and declared an illegal war.
North had factories which could produce guns n shit while the South was primarily agricultural, so the North won, while burning down almost every plantation, school, and college along the way.
After the North won and burned practically everything to the ground and left our women destitute because all the men were dead, the North decided that the South should be punished for their actions and still unfairly taxed them.
To this day the North persists to make fun of the South for being poor, when they're the ones who destroyed the Southern economy in the first place.
And they talk funny.

Notice I didn't include slavery in this overview - slavery was a secondary issue.

And that boys n girls, is why the South is still pissed at the North.

The End

Sorry dear lady --- slavery was most certainly on the mind of those who left the Union --- as evidenced by the following -------Note how many times slavery comes up.

Mississippi Declaration of Secession

A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union

In the momentous step, which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery - the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product, which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

That we do not overstate the dangers to our institution, a reference to a few facts will sufficiently prove.

The hostility to this institution commenced before the adoption of the Constitution, and was manifested in the well-known Ordinance of 1787, in regard to the Northwestern Territory.

The feeling increased, until, in 1819-20, it deprived the South of more than half the vast territory acquired from France.

The same hostility dismembered Texas and seized upon all the territory acquired from Mexico.

It has grown until it denies the right of property in slaves, and refuses protection to that right on the high seas, in the Territories, and wherever the government of the United States had jurisdiction.

It refuses the admission of new slave States into the Union, and seeks to extinguish it by confining it within its present limits, denying the power of expansion.

It tramples the original equality of the South under foot.

It has nullified the Fugitive Slave Law in almost every free State in the Union, and has utterly broken the compact, which our fathers pledged their faith to maintain.

It advocates negro equality, socially and politically, and promotes insurrection and incendiarism in our midst.

It has enlisted its press, its pulpit and its schools against us, until the whole popular mind of the North is excited and inflamed with prejudice.

It has made combinations and formed associations to carry out its schemes of emancipation in the States and wherever else slavery exists.

It seeks not to elevate or to support the slave, but to destroy his present condition without providing a better.

It has invaded a State, and invested with the honors of martyrdom the wretch whose purpose was to apply flames to our dwellings, and the weapons of destruction to our lives.

It has broken every compact into which it has entered for our security.

It has given indubitable evidence of its design to ruin our agriculture, to prostrate our industrial pursuits and to destroy our social system.

It knows no relenting or hesitation in its purposes; it stops not in its march of aggression, and leaves us no room to hope for cessation or for pause.

It has recently obtained control of the Government, by the prosecution of its unhallowed schemes, and destroyed the last expectation of living together in friendship and brotherhood.

Utter subjugation awaits us in the Union, if we should consent longer to remain in it. It is not a matter of choice, but of necessity. We must either submit to degradation, and to the loss of property worth four billions of money, or we must secede from the Union framed by our fathers, to secure this as well as every other species of property. For far less cause than this, our fathers separated from the Crown of England.

Our decision is made. We follow their footsteps. We embrace the alternative of separation; and for the reasons here stated, we resolve to maintain our rights with the full consciousness of the justice of our course, and the undoubting belief of our ability to maintain it.

I can show some other states -- and they read very much like Mississippi's...

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
24-06-2015, 08:16 AM
I fought ye Southern States economy was kinda based around slave labour. Trans-atlantic slave trade an' all that?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.