The Confederate flag

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2015, 08:25 AM
RE: The Confederate flag
(24-06-2015 04:48 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(24-06-2015 04:07 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I am Australian, so forgive my ignorance, the Confederates, they were the fascists who lost, right?

Only if you ask a Northerner.....

If you ask a hardcore Southerner they'll insist the fascism shoe is on the other foot....

But yeah -- the CSA lost. (Confederate States of America)

I thought CSA stood for Confederate States of Amnesia...

They always forget they lost the war.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
24-06-2015, 08:31 AM
Naawww .. be nice....

You have to remember -- a very large percentage of the Southerners were fed a rather large portion of crap by the CSA government -----

Remember -- the people with the most to gain - were the rich plantation owners -- who were NOT the ones who fought the war -- but went after the State governments to look out for their interests ---- being their property - i.e. slaves................

The fighting for the most part was done by Southerners who did NOT own slaves.. But, they'd been given all sorts of "good" reasons why they should go fight.

There really weren't any winners in that war. We all lost something........

It gave us big government - and less power to the states.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
24-06-2015, 08:35 AM
(24-06-2015 08:31 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Naawww .. be nice....

You have to remember -- a very large percentage of the Southerners were fed a rather large portion of crap by the CSA government -----

Remember -- the people with the most to gain - were the rich plantation owners -- who were NOT the ones who fought the war -- but went after the State governments to look out for their interests ---- being their property - i.e. slaves................

The fighting for the most part was done by Southerners who did NOT own slaves.. But, they'd been given all sorts of "good" reasons why they should go fight.

There really weren't any winners in that war. We all lost something........

It gave us big government - and less power to the states.

You say that like it's a bad thing Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
24-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Re: The Confederate flag
There's some of the uneducated younger generations (here in Mississippi) that dont understand why there's such a big controversy surrounding the flag. They see "cool" guys flying it. They sport it to be rebellious or edgy.

I've heard "The south will rise again!" quite a few times in my life. Most often, those who spout this rallying cry also support a Christian nation, complete with laws straight out of the Bible.
24-06-2015, 09:08 AM
(23-06-2015 08:53 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(23-06-2015 08:19 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I don't mind seeing it on bumper stickers or belt-buckles ... it's pretty convenient to have people putting up this shorthand for "I'm a retard."

The few times I've visited the South I'm amazed at how much they live in the past. And I mean, waaaaaaaaaay in the past. They discuss the Civil War as if it were yesterday. Funnily enough, I'm closely related to General Sherman and there are more than a few of my husband's Southern family who absolutely won't talk to me. There are a couple cousins who won't even be in the same room with me. It's highly amusing! Laugh out load

That is due in no small part to the fact that we are lied to in the primary education system about the Civil War. According to the history teachers I had in rural Tennessee, the Civil War wasn't about slavery at all, that was just Lincoln's excuse. The Civil War was *really* about states rights and the Confederacy standing up to an over-reaching imperialist government.

Of course, I imagine that the same people who have for the last few years been claiming Lincoln as one of their own because he freed the slaves, have a hard time reconciling these two conflicting opinions. Or they don't think about it at all as the wind blows through their empty head. Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
24-06-2015, 10:08 AM
I'm just relaying the crap I was fed in middle school - that it was about the money. The rights and and feels of the slaves was not the consideration. North wanted to make money off the slaves through taxation. South wanted to keep their slaves because the agricultural economy depended on them for labor.

And then you had a few kick ass abolishionists in the mix.

While I'd kinda like to think I'd be hiding people in my basement and helping them sneak through the woods in the middle of the night, I'd probably have been too poor to have a basement and been in the field with them picking cotton. Certainly no Scarlett O'Hara - not to mention my accent is waaaay better than hers...

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
24-06-2015, 10:10 AM
All I know about the South's attitude towards "the war of northern aggression" I learned from The Beverly Hillbillies...

[Image: granny-clampett.jpg]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
24-06-2015, 10:14 AM
(24-06-2015 10:08 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Certainly no Scarlett O'Hara - not to mention my accent is waaaay better than hers...

I LOVE me some GWTW. It's not about the Civil Woah-ah. It's about the US in the 1930's and THEIR values. Facepalm

I say the flag deal (like ALL older flags, they belong in MUSEUMS, not flown as "current"). BUT the entire issue is a red herring. It's easy to talk about flags, instead of complex difficult underlying issues.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-06-2015, 10:21 AM
(24-06-2015 10:14 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's easy to talk about flags, instead of complex difficult underlying issues.

Politicians like to play it safe. They know a bunch of rednecks will get their redneck... do rednecks even where knickers?... their redneck underwear knotted if they go after the flag issue, they know the flag issue won't be resolved, they can safely berate people for waving the flag and not cause any major problems, they can quietly not draw attention to how fucking awesome and racially sensitive they are being... it's fucking win all the way. Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
24-06-2015, 10:31 AM
(24-06-2015 10:21 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-06-2015 10:14 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's easy to talk about flags, instead of complex difficult underlying issues.

Politicians like to play it safe. They know a bunch of rednecks will get their redneck... do rednecks even where knickers?... their redneck underwear knotted if they go after the flag issue, they know the flag issue won't be resolved, they can safely berate people for waving the flag and not cause any major problems, they can quietly not draw attention to how fucking awesome and racially sensitive they are being... it's fucking win all the way. Dodgy

Yeah like I said starting the proceedings to eventually remove a flag was literally the least they could do.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense