The Confederate flag

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2015, 10:48 AM
RE: The Confederate flag
The thing with the Confederate flag on the capital building in South Carolina is that it used to be on the building itself but people protested and so the powers that be finally took it down and put in front of a civil war memorial which happens to be right next to the Capital, which is on a small hill. So the flag pole is on a hill and is actually easier to see when driving down the main city street.

There were all kinds of "rules" the Confederate war memorial people in S. Carolina came up with and one of the things they demanded is that the flag be locked in place, always flying and never taken down no matter what. And to make sure no one climbed up the pole to take it down they locked it in place with a chain. You can see the lock and chain in the photo below near the bottom of the flag.

[Image: RTX5DUD.jpg?1434725395]

This is how much these guys have clung onto this traitor's flag. It's taken 9 more dead people for them to finally take the damned thing down. Geesh!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2015, 01:39 PM
In college I had a psycology class that presented this thought.

A young black girl for the first time has entered college. She enters into her new dorm room and see's that her new roommate has already arrived. On the wall is a Confederate flag. Offended she takes the flag down and places it on the bed. The roommate returns to see that her flag had been taken down. A large argument breaks out between the two. One side saying that it was a symbol or slavery, bigetry and hate. The other said it was a reminder of her personal heratgae, and it was her personal property.

Who is in the right here?

The Black girl could be in the wrong. She did touch this persons property who she did not know. She didn't ask, or give her a chance to react.

Or the White girl could be in the wrong. Not thinking about what a image could imply to someone of color.

My opinion is if a person wants to fly the flag in their house, great. On there car OK. But at a capital building, i feel it's in poor taste. If a Nazi flag was flown in a German Capital building people would complain. It's a part of there history, our culture. Yeah from a time best forgotten. A piece of cloth means nothing, it the thought's that are behind it that speak the volume.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
24-06-2015, 01:42 PM
(24-06-2015 09:08 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  That is due in no small part to the fact that we are lied to in the primary education system about the Civil War. According to the history teachers I had in rural Tennessee, the Civil War wasn't about slavery at all, that was just Lincoln's excuse. The Civil War was *really* about states rights and the Confederacy standing up to an over-reaching imperialist government.

The truly pathetic thing about that argument is that the Confederate government barred its own states from outlawing slavery; they were required to recognize slaves from other states, as well.

If state's rights really was the issue, those clauses would not have landed in their Constitution.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
24-06-2015, 02:14 PM
(24-06-2015 01:42 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(24-06-2015 09:08 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  That is due in no small part to the fact that we are lied to in the primary education system about the Civil War. According to the history teachers I had in rural Tennessee, the Civil War wasn't about slavery at all, that was just Lincoln's excuse. The Civil War was *really* about states rights and the Confederacy standing up to an over-reaching imperialist government.

The truly pathetic thing about that argument is that the Confederate government barred its own states from outlawing slavery; they were required to recognize slaves from other states, as well.

If state's rights really was the issue, those clauses would not have landed in their Constitution.

Indeed. Suspending habeus corpus? The infamous commerce clause? Copied verbatim into the Confederate constitution. History loves irony.

Never let it be said that I'm not willing to give credit where due, though:
The Constitution of the Confederate States of America Wrote:Section 9.20:
Every law, or resolution having the force of law, shall relate to but one subject, and that shall be expressed in the title.
This provision is genius.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
24-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Ah, yes, the Confederate States of America.

It has occasionally been discussed that variation in post-war occupation policy explain some of the lasting cultural differences between countries such as Germany (and East/West within Germany), Japan, or Korea with regard to certain 20th century "unpleasantness". We can only wonder what genuinely enforced Reconstruction would have looked like.

24-06-2015, 02:18 PM
(24-06-2015 02:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Ah, yes, the Confederate States of America.

It has occasionally been discussed that variation in post-war occupation policy explain some of the lasting cultural differences between countries such as Germany (and East/West within Germany), Japan, or Korea with regard to certain 20th century "unpleasantness". We can only wonder what genuinely enforced Reconstruction would have looked like.

One of the great Ironies of history was that by killing Lincoln the Reconstruction actually ended up being much harsher and long lasting than he would have pushed for.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
24-06-2015, 02:25 PM
(24-06-2015 02:18 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(24-06-2015 02:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Ah, yes, the Confederate States of America.

One of the great Ironies of history was that by killing Lincoln the Reconstruction actually ended up being much harsher and long lasting than he would have pushed for.

I doubt it. He'd've had the same Congress as Johnson to deal with. And given that it took armed paramilitary insurrection amidst economic malaise before northern Republicans backed off (in 1877)...

I don't think Lincoln was a particular fan of armed insurrection in his country. And I don't think the reaction of the fine, upstanding citizens joining the Redshirts, the White League, or the Klan would have been any more tempered with him in office.

24-06-2015, 02:46 PM
(24-06-2015 02:25 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(24-06-2015 02:18 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  One of the great Ironies of history was that by killing Lincoln the Reconstruction actually ended up being much harsher and long lasting than he would have pushed for.

I doubt it. He'd've had the same Congress as Johnson to deal with. And given that it took armed paramilitary insurrection amidst economic malaise before northern Republicans backed off (in 1877)...

I don't think Lincoln was a particular fan of armed insurrection in his country. And I don't think the reaction of the fine, upstanding citizens joining the Redshirts, the White League, or the Klan would have been any more tempered with him in office.

Hard to say how it would have turned out, but given that Lincoln was a bit of an Imperial president you'd think he would be able to push at least some of his plan (which was by far a less jagged pill than what was done) through congress.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
24-06-2015, 04:53 PM
(24-06-2015 07:23 AM)Nurse Wrote:  North had factories which could produce guns n shit while the South was primarily agricultural, so the North won, while burning down almost every plantation, school, and college along the way.

Forget the guns, you never had anywhere close to the numbers.
[Image: civilwar.png]
Dafuq was you thinking?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
24-06-2015, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2015 04:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
Why do my posts keep showing up twice? I'm not even drunk yet.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus