The Confederate flag

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2015, 06:49 PM
RE: The Confederate flag
(24-06-2015 02:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(24-06-2015 02:25 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I doubt it. He'd've had the same Congress as Johnson to deal with. And given that it took armed paramilitary insurrection amidst economic malaise before northern Republicans backed off (in 1877)...

I don't think Lincoln was a particular fan of armed insurrection in his country. And I don't think the reaction of the fine, upstanding citizens joining the Redshirts, the White League, or the Klan would have been any more tempered with him in office.

Hard to say how it would have turned out, but given that Lincoln was a bit of an Imperial president you'd think he would be able to push at least some of his plan (which was by far a less jagged pill than what was done) through congress.

Not to mention that much Congressional intrransigence was brought about by Lincoln's assassination.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2015, 06:49 PM
(24-06-2015 06:32 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(24-06-2015 05:37 PM)cactus Wrote:  Can someone please explain this shirt to me? *legitimatelyconfusedface*
[Image: CONFEDERATESHIRTIMAGE23.jpg]

Southern history says war wasn't about race so don't get your panties in a wad. States rights/pro gun/pro god/anti big brother kinda mentality. They're saying they aren't racist - and yet they're wearing a symbol that incredibly racially insensitive. Facepalm

When I visit my husband's family in South Carolina some of them have, what I consider, a rather skewed version of the Civil War. It's as if we studied totally different history........and we did.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
24-06-2015, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2015 07:27 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-06-2015 05:59 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(24-06-2015 04:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Forget the guns, you never had anywhere close to the numbers.
[Image: civilwar.png]
Dafuq was you thinking?

Just goin off of memory of good ole southern histry - is what most of the people think that have confederate flag tramp stamps or boxers... and yeh, you're right, I left out the sheer numbers in my story time.

Just out of curiosity, do those numbers include 2/3 of the slaves?

That's an excellent question. How many darkies either took up arms in defense of or at least provided cannon fodder for 'massa? And was the South counting on darkies soldiering up for them when it thought it could take on an army potentially 4x its size? Somebody's gotta have run those numbers but I'm guessing the numbers will reveal "Dafuq you thinking?"

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-06-2015, 07:07 PM
(24-06-2015 06:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "Dafuq you thinking?"

Consider
'em 'ere Englishmen like our cotton, and they done set the White House afire back in '14! They got redcoats to spare, right, Colonel Cletus?
Laugh out load Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
24-06-2015, 07:17 PM
The Confederate flag
A guy at work started a conversation about banning this flag. Went on and on (he's an admitted redneck), and I just said, "My family wasn't in the USA yet, and even if they had been, my dad's family would've been Union."
24-06-2015, 07:19 PM
(24-06-2015 07:07 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(24-06-2015 06:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "Dafuq you thinking?"

Consider
'em 'ere Englishmen like our cotton, and they done set the White House afire back in '14! They got redcoats to spare, right, Colonel Cletus?
Laugh out load Tongue

There were incredibly heavy ties between England and the southern Aristocracy , far more than there were between the north and the south at that time. Most of the High born southerners would send their children to school in england and that is where the famous southern belle accent comes from. It is an Oxford Accent with a southern drawl. But England was never going to intervene, they had their own concerns on the continent and in Africa to worry about. Add a historic crop of Egyptian cotton and the fact that the common British opinion that was unfavorable to slavery (slavery having been outlawed for some time in the Empire) and there was always going to be yet another hurdle to jump through for the CSA to secure a Brittish alliance.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
24-06-2015, 07:41 PM
(24-06-2015 07:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(24-06-2015 07:07 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Consider
Laugh out load Tongue

There were incredibly heavy ties between England and the southern Aristocracy , far more than there were between the north and the south at that time. Most of the High born southerners would send their children to school in england and that is where the famous southern belle accent comes from. It is an Oxford Accent with a southern drawl. But England was never going to intervene, they had their own concerns on the continent and in Africa to worry about. Add a historic crop of Egyptian cotton and the fact that the common British opinion that was unfavorable to slavery (slavery having been outlawed for some time in the Empire) and there was always going to be yet another hurdle to jump through for the CSA to secure a Brittish alliance.

You would think a group of military strategists would account for these considerations before just saying fuck it, let's see how far we can get with a war holler.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-06-2015, 07:42 PM
(24-06-2015 07:17 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  A guy at work started a conversation about banning this flag. Went on and on (he's an admitted redneck), and I just said, "My family wasn't in the USA yet, and even if they had been, my dad's family would've been Union."

I would have just said "Flag enablers doom nations."

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
24-06-2015, 08:04 PM
(24-06-2015 07:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  There were incredibly heavy ties between England and the southern Aristocracy , far more than there were between the north and the south at that time. Most of the High born southerners would send their children to school in england and that is where the famous southern belle accent comes from. It is an Oxford Accent with a southern drawl. But England was never going to intervene, they had their own concerns on the continent and in Africa to worry about. Add a historic crop of Egyptian cotton and the fact that the common British opinion that was unfavorable to slavery (slavery having been outlawed for some time in the Empire) and there was always going to be yet another hurdle to jump through for the CSA to secure a Brittish alliance.

True, but it was one of the things they were thinking! Tongue

(24-06-2015 07:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You would think a group of military strategists would account for these considerations before just saying fuck it!

Judging by the decisions some of their descendants make...
[Image: image_large.jpg]

All in all, I wish the Confederates had chosen the Stars & Stripes for their own and left theirs to us! From a purely aesthetic standpoint, it looks better, imo!
Then again I miss the old Soviet sickle & hammer compared to the crap Russia flies now!

[Image: Scottish-flag_2109121a.jpg]
???
[Image: english-flag.jpg]
???
[Image: UNKG0103.GIF]
???
Just use the Union Jack, dayum! Tongue

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
24-06-2015, 08:18 PM
(24-06-2015 08:04 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Just use the Union Jack, dayum! Tongue

I think we should claim it as our own just to finalize the fisting of the buggerers.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post