The Confederate flag

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2015, 08:18 PM
omg this confederate flag thing ugh
My brothers girlfriend keeps posting shit about how this flag has nothing to do with racism and blah blah blah shit.
Anyway I tried to explain to her that its not about the original intent or what it was used for but that its what its associated with. I even had links to back it up.
Then she said she didn't gave to read any of the links as she knows the history and that's all she needs. And that she us smarter then me, I'm closed minded, and ignorant. And I need to grow up.
I've been sitting here laughing because she barely made it through high school and is now staying home with kids. No school or anything. Now don't get me wrong I'm not implying that she should go to school or anything but if your going to make these kinds if assertions you need to at least be doing something. All that knowing I went to college too.
Shaking my head.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2015, 08:29 PM
RE: omg this confederate flag thing ugh
(24-06-2015 08:18 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  My brothers girlfriend keeps posting shit about how this flag has nothing to do with racism and blah blah blah shit.
Anyway I tried to explain to her that its not about the original intent or what it was used for but that its what its associated with. I even had links to back it up.
Then she said she didn't gave to read any of the links as she knows the history and that's all she needs. And that she us smarter then me, I'm closed minded, and ignorant. And I need to grow up.
I've been sitting here laughing because she barely made it through high school and is now staying home with kids. No school or anything. Now don't get me wrong I'm not implying that she should go to school or anything but if your going to make these kinds if assertions you need to at least be doing something. All that knowing I went to college too.
Shaking my head.

My Facebook is a pretty even split between defending the flag, wanting it down, and don't give a shit.

Those who don't give a shit aren't from the south but live there now. At least, that's the consensus on my page.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
24-06-2015, 08:32 PM
Mines been my brothers girlfriend and her friend. Then I have 2 friends that started to defend it but when we talked they kinda changed a little. That's it though.
24-06-2015, 08:42 PM
RE: The Confederate flag
(24-06-2015 07:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(24-06-2015 07:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  There were incredibly heavy ties between England and the southern Aristocracy , far more than there were between the north and the south at that time. Most of the High born southerners would send their children to school in england and that is where the famous southern belle accent comes from. It is an Oxford Accent with a southern drawl. But England was never going to intervene, they had their own concerns on the continent and in Africa to worry about. Add a historic crop of Egyptian cotton and the fact that the common British opinion that was unfavorable to slavery (slavery having been outlawed for some time in the Empire) and there was always going to be yet another hurdle to jump through for the CSA to secure a Brittish alliance.

You would think a group of military strategists would account for these considerations before just saying fuck it, let's see how far we can get with a war holler.

Girly, honey, don't tell me I have to explain what Billy Idol is talking about when he says 'Rebel Yell'.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
24-06-2015, 08:45 PM
This absofuckinglutely hideous piece of shit monument sits on privately owned property, prominently displayed on the side of the interstate near Nashville.
[Image: 7317210074_9cb43067e4_b.jpg]
[Image: 1338422874-forrest_statue.jpg]

The statue is of a demon-possessed Nathan Bedford Forrest (the first Grand Wizard of the KKK) depicting how he might look after recently discovering that his horse is brown.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 4 users Like cactus's post
24-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Those flags, all by themselves, keep oppressing black people, dammit. Why can't you all see this? Fabric, red dye, blue dye, and some stylised spreading of aforementioned dye are coming together for one reason: HATRED.

#blacklivesmatter

(It is very possible that I am ignorant of the components that typically go into the making of racist flags.)

RACISM.
24-06-2015, 08:49 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2015 09:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-06-2015 08:42 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(24-06-2015 07:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You would think a group of military strategists would account for these considerations before just saying fuck it, let's see how far we can get with a war holler.

Girly, honey, don't tell me I have to explain what Billy Idol is talking about when he says 'Rebel Yell'.

My bad.

Sounds like some sorta crazy wailing cat call.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-06-2015, 09:02 PM
(24-06-2015 08:45 PM)cactus Wrote:  This absofuckinglutely hideous piece of shit monument sits on privately owned property, prominently displayed on the side of the interstate near Nashville.
[Image: 7317210074_9cb43067e4_b.jpg]
[Image: 1338422874-forrest_statue.jpg]

The statue is of a demon-possessed Nathan Bedford Forrest (the first Grand Wizard of the KKK) depicting how he might look after recently discovering that his horse is brown.

Hey! I took a pic of that today to post on this thread!

[Image: 2BDD42C2-7066-447D-AB3A-112F47C605FB_zpsbv1l7ckb.jpg]

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
24-06-2015, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2015 09:14 PM by Kaepora Gaebora.)
I'll add my two cents:

I don't care. While I understand it's a symbol of modern racism and that some cling to it because of heritage and misinformed opinions on history, taking it down won't do much if anything at all. People will be clinging onto the flag for a long time; taking down the flag only fuels more frenzy and it doesn't actually do anything to solve the problem.

What I've heard is how 9 people had to die to get this to get taken down. It's like these deaths are used to fuel political discourse about a flag with some racist connotations instead of looking at the actual causes. I don't feel comfortable when people say this because it seems disrespectful to those who died.

I'm one for solving racism, but this seems very misguided. I like what Obama said in a podcast recently; people not saying the n word doesn't mean racism is gone. This also applies to the Confederate battle flag. Taking it down doesn't mean racism is gone, that the white supremacy groups are gone or weakened. It's rather pointless in my eyes.
[+] 4 users Like Kaepora Gaebora's post
24-06-2015, 10:14 PM
America. Land of the free and home of the offended.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post