The Confirmation Bias and Bigotry that is rampant in this forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2017, 05:04 AM
RE: The Confirmation Bias and Bigotry that is rampant in this forum.
Why oh why can't they just all be like psikeyhackr? He seems to get along fine here. Has the respect of most members, makes valid points, does the math, builds actual models, etc.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-03-2017, 05:12 AM
(12-03-2017 03:48 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 03:34 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Allies had (some) knowledge of Shoah in 1941. Alternatively they knew about it in 1942 [Raul Hilberg, Perpetrators Victims Bystanders: The Jewish Catastrophe, 1933-1945].

Considering that allies condemned Germans for exterminating the Jews in December 17, 1942 one can safely say that they knew about Shoah already.

By discovered I mean liberating the camps and prosecuting war crimes I am aware the allies were in the possession of some facts regarding the holocaust much earlier on but they were hardly in a position to do anything about it, bombing raids on the camps were contemplated but discounted, let us not muddy the waters my friend.

Muddy the waters? I just corrected part of your statement ... for a start the holocaust was discovered and proven in 1944/45... which wasn't true.

You meant something else? No problem, I too not always manage to write things how they should be written but correcting someone hardly could be called muddying the waters.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
13-03-2017, 05:19 AM
(13-03-2017 05:12 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 03:48 PM)adey67 Wrote:  By discovered I mean liberating the camps and prosecuting war crimes I am aware the allies were in the possession of some facts regarding the holocaust much earlier on but they were hardly in a position to do anything about it, bombing raids on the camps were contemplated but discounted, let us not muddy the waters my friend.

Muddy the waters? I just corrected part of your statement ... for a start the holocaust was discovered and proven in 1944/45... which wasn't true.

You meant something else? No problem, I too not always manage to write things how they should be written but correcting someone hardly could be called muddying the waters.

Good point friend I'm terrible with my turn of phrase sometimes, I was heavily engaged with celestial wanker and in battle mode no disrespect intended.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
13-03-2017, 05:30 AM
The ban hammer has fallen! Good riddance. Drinking Beverage

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
13-03-2017, 05:35 AM
(13-03-2017 05:04 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why oh why can't they just all be like psikeyhackr? He seems to get along fine here. Has the respect of most members, makes valid points, does the math, builds actual models, etc.

I know you got a big belly and all but how does that make you "most members?" Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like houseofcantor's post
13-03-2017, 05:41 AM
(13-03-2017 05:35 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I know you got a big belly and all but how does that make you "most members?" Tongue

Mate, it's a story from the shower block.

I'll tell ya later. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
13-03-2017, 06:18 AM
(13-03-2017 05:19 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(13-03-2017 05:12 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Muddy the waters? I just corrected part of your statement ... for a start the holocaust was discovered and proven in 1944/45... which wasn't true.

Good point friend I'm terrible with my turn of phrase sometimes, I was heavily engaged with celestial wanker and in battle mode no disrespect intended.

I'm terribler Wink

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
13-03-2017, 10:54 AM
(13-03-2017 12:47 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Good riddance.

He was clearly looking for death by mod. The last desperate action of someone who can't handle people rejecting their nonsense.

In his mind, he must be right about everything now, because we had to silence him.

This is interesting, because there is an internal hum (for lack of a better word) that does occur at times when I've banned someone. Not all the time, but on occasion.

I think it comes down to extreme positions, the hostile religious person, the obnoxiously hostile atheist (who's sometimes also a social darwinist), the white nationalist, the holocaust denier, or ardent conspiracy theorist, who forces their own belief about whatever on everyone here. Could be the silly, the earth is flat or dinosaurs didn't ever exist, to the more pervasive about African-Americans, Jewish peoples, as well as other groups. In the back of my mind I do often wonder if by silencing them am I serving their own purpose or fulfilling their agenda?

I have to remind myself, by giving them a voice on this forum I'm also in a way condoning them and giving sanction that their ideas have merit. They don't, and most of their "ideas" are rubbish and after being called out as such, and if they don't just fade away on their own, they need to be shown the door, especially if their interest or reason for being here is myopic.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 8 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-03-2017, 10:59 AM
FWIW moms I think you are firm but also extremely fair, all the mods and admins here do a really good job Imo.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
13-03-2017, 11:06 AM
(13-03-2017 10:54 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  In the back of my mind I do often wonder if by silencing them am I serving their own purpose or fulfilling their agenda?

They are the same as proselytizing. Either you ban them and they are martyrs (only in their own minds), or we have to listen to their blather.

Some of them are interesting for a while, or they have a new slant on things, or they just remind us of what the world out there is like. But if we didn't have a revolving door for them, they would soon drown us out.

Imagine what this place would be like if all banned folks were still here.... (shudders)

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post