The Confirmation Bias and Bigotry that is rampant in this forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2017, 04:13 PM
RE: The Confirmation Bias and Bigotry that is rampant in this forum.
(13-03-2017 01:37 PM)DLJ Wrote:  It's a last resort that sometimes these unruly children need to be removed from class (and the school) for the safety of / the benefit of the other children who are there to learn.

When I was in Mrs. Dorrington's history class at Mentor High School, two troublemakers in the back row monopolized our time by repeatedly causing problems. The teacher would argue with them but never brought them under control, and the rest of us paid the price in lost time.

Life is short.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Thoreauvian's post
13-03-2017, 07:01 PM
(13-03-2017 01:37 PM)DLJ Wrote:  In other words, trolling ain't so bad (if it was, we'd have to ban Girlyman, HoC,

:shifty: Dodgy

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-03-2017, 10:26 PM
(13-03-2017 04:13 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(13-03-2017 01:37 PM)DLJ Wrote:  It's a last resort that sometimes these unruly children need to be removed from class (and the school) for the safety of / the benefit of the other children who are there to learn.

When I was in Mrs. Dorrington's history class at Mentor High School, two troublemakers in the back row monopolized our time by repeatedly causing problems. The teacher would argue with them but never brought them under control, and the rest of us paid the price in lost time.

Life is short.

Indeed. Good point, well made.

As an educator, I've been thinking a great deal about how education is changing post-internet.

The traditional system of 1-to-many replaced the old 1-to-1 mentoring/apprenticeship systems that existed pre-printing press but the internet facilitates many-to-many communication.

I used to say that I learned nothing at school. As someone with strong Aspie traits the memories of my school experience (from 4 to 18 years old) have been locked away in the box marked "do not open".

I have learned more about history, and been more motivated to learn about history, since I've been internet-connected and can study cause/effects, threads of discourse etc. at my own pace in my own hyperlink-burrowing way.

But now I realise that my school experience taught me much that I needed to survive ... deception, deception detection, scepticism, deflection, dominance hierarchies, females* etc. etc. and much of that was from the playground or from observing how Mrs. Dorrington failed to successfully control the two troublemakers in the back row of the history class.

I don't think that these were lessons I would have learned so quickly on-line.

* still studying this mysterious phenomena.

Wink

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
14-03-2017, 12:52 AM
(13-03-2017 10:54 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-03-2017 12:47 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Good riddance.

He was clearly looking for death by mod. The last desperate action of someone who can't handle people rejecting their nonsense.

In his mind, he must be right about everything now, because we had to silence him.

This is interesting, because there is an internal hum (for lack of a better word) that does occur at times when I've banned someone. Not all the time, but on occasion.

I think it comes down to extreme positions, the hostile religious person, the obnoxiously hostile atheist (who's sometimes also a social darwinist), the white nationalist, the holocaust denier, or ardent conspiracy theorist, who forces their own belief about whatever on everyone here. Could be the silly, the earth is flat or dinosaurs didn't ever exist, to the more pervasive about African-Americans, Jewish peoples, as well as other groups. In the back of my mind I do often wonder if by silencing them am I serving their own purpose or fulfilling their agenda?

I have to remind myself, by giving them a voice on this forum I'm also in a way condoning them and giving sanction that their ideas have merit. They don't, and most of their "ideas" are rubbish and after being called out as such, and if they don't just fade away on their own, they need to be shown the door, especially if their interest or reason for being here is myopic.

I understand your concern. But I think you're doing a great job here. In my opinion, it's only in the mind of the insane crusader that you've verified their position. To any reasonable person, they can see a jerk who kept on pushing, being obnoxious and whining, in an attempt to get action taken against them. (Or if that wasn't their intent, they are just incredibly childish and can't handle discourse with anyone who disagrees with them.) It's not the forum's job to teach people how to interact with others at a basic level, nor to continue to provide a voice for people who don't appreciate it and continually abuse the privilege.

I think that considering the effect someone has on the forum, and on the valuable members who inhabit it, is very important. When someone is just causing trouble and not much else, and refuses to listen to reason, then it's not fair on everyone else to keep them here.

It's always a fine line, but in the time I've been here, I've been really impressed with the decisions.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
14-03-2017, 01:12 AM
Ban 'em all I say Hobo

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
14-03-2017, 08:02 AM
(13-03-2017 10:26 PM)DLJ Wrote:  But now I realise that my school experience taught me much that I needed to survive ... deception, deception detection, scepticism, deflection, dominance hierarchies, females etc. etc. and much of that was from the playground or from observing how Mrs. Dorrington failed to successfully control the two troublemakers in the back row of the history class.

I was always concerned that school was teaching the students to hate learning. That's a terrible life-lesson.

Sad
14-03-2017, 08:29 AM
(14-03-2017 08:02 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(13-03-2017 10:26 PM)DLJ Wrote:  But now I realise that my school experience taught me much that I needed to survive ... deception, deception detection, scepticism, deflection, dominance hierarchies, females etc. etc. and much of that was from the playground or from observing how Mrs. Dorrington failed to successfully control the two troublemakers in the back row of the history class.

I was always concerned that school was teaching the students to hate learning. That's a terrible life-lesson.

Sad

I always considered elementary school to be 50% absorbing social skills, 40% academic instruction and 10% me time. Somehow, I ended up craving knowledge. I think it was good - I never felt I was spoonfed anything. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
14-03-2017, 11:54 AM
Well, I'm back to "school" as I'm studying bookkeeping from home. Doing my level 3 diploma. I just went in to do my exam for Costs and Revenues, passed yay! 4 more units to complete. The exam was a bit of a git, with some questions that had never been covered in my book or in any of the practice exams. But I managed to figure them out.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
14-03-2017, 01:26 PM
The social aspects of school were perilous and mysterious in equal measure. I've learned a lot from them, but only by reflecting on my experiences in later years.

What I liked about school was learning stuff. I was also glad to get away from my house for those hours. If there were kids disrupting the lesson, I'd sit and read the textbook or whatever books I had with me. Never go anywhere without a book.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
14-03-2017, 01:29 PM
(14-03-2017 01:26 PM)julep Wrote:  If there were kids disrupting the lesson, I'd sit and read the textbook or whatever books I had with me. Never go anywhere without a book.

You were smarter than I was. Hobo