The Consequences of Hugging Bunnies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2015, 06:43 AM
The Consequences of Hugging Bunnies
A recent uproar in the news - a lion getting whacked - is getting the "animal rights" people all fired up to outlaw big game hunting.

I guess when you get your worldview from the movie Bambi - it's expected you might get some bad information.

Big game hunting will NOT be the cause of extinction of ANY animal -- ever.

The FACT is - big game hunting has kept species alive - that would otherwise gone extinct by now.

The reason? Simple economics. By licensing big game to be killed - the governments are able to make money off of them.

Sure -- poachers make money off them too -- and guess what? If you make big game hunting illegal, you'll STILL have poachers ---- but, the governments will have LESS money to go after poachers.

And - if the poachers don't get them - the local farmers will. The farmers tend to think of lions as a pest and not some "noble creature". It's pretty easy to kill lions. Lions aren't the big hunters that western people tend to think. Lions are primarily scavengers. All you have to do is poison some large dead critter (antifreeze is a favorite) and leave it where the lions will find it.

Again - the money the governments get from legal hunting go towards enforcement of laws --- and towards removal of problem lions.

I'm betting if they outlaw hunting lions - they'll be extinct in the wild within 20 years.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2015, 08:17 AM
RE: The Consequences of Hugging Bunnies
(31-07-2015 06:43 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A recent uproar in the news - a lion getting whacked - is getting the "animal rights" people all fired up to outlaw big game hunting.

I guess when you get your worldview from the movie Bambi - it's expected you might get some bad information.

Big game hunting will NOT be the cause of extinction of ANY animal -- ever.

The FACT is - big game hunting has kept species alive - that would otherwise gone extinct by now.

The reason? Simple economics. By licensing big game to be killed - the governments are able to make money off of them.

Sure -- poachers make money off them too -- and guess what? If you make big game hunting illegal, you'll STILL have poachers ---- but, the governments will have LESS money to go after poachers.

And - if the poachers don't get them - the local farmers will. The farmers tend to think of lions as a pest and not some "noble creature". It's pretty easy to kill lions. Lions aren't the big hunters that western people tend to think. Lions are primarily scavengers. All you have to do is poison some large dead critter (antifreeze is a favorite) and leave it where the lions will find it.

Again - the money the governments get from legal hunting go towards enforcement of laws --- and towards removal of problem lions.

I'm betting if they outlaw hunting lions - they'll be extinct in the wild within 20 years.

You are an idiot. A counterpoint is the White Rhino.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
31-07-2015, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2015 09:09 AM by kim.)
The lion which was killed, was lured off a protected preserve by poachers who were paid upwards of $50,000 or more by a wealthy US bow hunter "sportsman". They lured the rare black mained lion out of the protected area in the night, and once it was out, baited and spotlighted the killing area so the the "sportsman" could kill and skin it for a trophy.

Thank you, Minnesota rich guy, for being such a fucking good "sportsman". Thumbsup

(As the world mourned this lion, 5 rare Kenyan elephants were slain by poachers... for their tusks.)

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
31-07-2015, 09:49 AM
Personally I'm not really against big game hunting if it's done right (quota's, regulation etc...). I don't know why anyone would want to kill such a beautiful creature but hey, people fish, people kill deer, pigs etc.. hell, I had KFC for lunch today, how many chickens died for my lunch?

I think if you priced and done it right that big game hunting could be a viable industry for certain African countries.

Obviously though killing something endangered isn't ok and bending the law to bait animals off reserves is just plain wrong. Thus the need for proper laws and regulation and enforcement.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
31-07-2015, 09:51 AM
(31-07-2015 08:53 AM)kim Wrote:  The lion which was killed, was lured off a protected preserve by poachers who were paid upwards of $50,000 or more by a wealthy US bow hunter "sportsman". They lured the rare black mained lion out of the protected area in the night, and once it was out, baited and spotlighted the killing area so the the "sportsman" could kill and skin it for a trophy.

Thank you, Minnesota rich guy, for being such a fucking good "sportsman". Thumbsup

(As the world mourned this lion, 5 rare Kenyan elephants were slain by poachers... for their tusks.)

These are the times when I wish karma was a real thing.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
31-07-2015, 09:54 AM
(31-07-2015 08:17 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You are an idiot. A counterpoint is the White Rhino.

You just showed how incredibly stupid you are my proving my point.

POACHING - not legal hunting has led the white rhino to extinction.

NO NATION has issued a hunting license for one in years.

You got anything else???

Care to comment on my non-use of a helmet or the fact I own guns????

I'm sure you'll scream "STRAWMAN" a few times too.....

jackoff..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
31-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Conservation of an ecosystem and maintaining a population is fine use for hunting and capturing species. There is a great danger in underdoing it or overdoing it though and sometimes trying to formulate a natural inhuman pattern is smoother. There was some harsh consequences to Wolf hunting going on far too long to lessen their populations, size effects you don't know may happen that can alter the self-sustainability of an ecosystem can occur.

But yes, you don't want to hug to pretty little animals too tight

[Image: d2e860f991ceb04b873e64b393d27f6a.jpg]

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
31-07-2015, 09:57 AM
(31-07-2015 09:51 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 08:53 AM)kim Wrote:  The lion which was killed, was lured off a protected preserve by poachers who were paid upwards of $50,000 or more by a wealthy US bow hunter "sportsman". They lured the rare black mained lion out of the protected area in the night, and once it was out, baited and spotlighted the killing area so the the "sportsman" could kill and skin it for a trophy.

These are the times when I wish karma was a real thing.

It's a pretty fine line to say they're poachers....

In that the lions don't recognize the boundaries of a protected area - they're going to wander off the reserve -- and if they're in a country where licenses are issued -- then it's a legal kill.....

No system is perfect --- but outlawing hunting would be a sure fire way to make poaching more profitable.

31-07-2015, 10:03 AM
(31-07-2015 09:57 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 09:51 AM)jennybee Wrote:  These are the times when I wish karma was a real thing.

It's a pretty fine line to say they're poachers....

In that the lions don't recognize the boundaries of a protected area - they're going to wander off the reserve -- and if they're in a country where licenses are issued -- then it's a legal kill.....

No system is perfect --- but outlawing hunting would be a sure fire way to make poaching more profitable.

Luring animals out of a protected area with the intent to slaughter them for their skins and for sport and profit is poaching.

I am a vegan (and one of the animal rights people you mentioned in your post). That said, I am fine with hunting--as long as it is done humanely, ethically, within the boundaries of the law, and with the intent of using the animal for food. Killing for trophies is a disgusting practice.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
31-07-2015, 10:09 AM
(31-07-2015 10:03 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 09:57 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's a pretty fine line to say they're poachers....

Luring animals out of a protected area with the intent to slaughter them for their skins and for sport and profit is poaching.

I am a vegan (and one of the animal rights people you mentioned in your post). That said, I am fine with hunting--as long as it is done humanely, ethically, within the boundaries of the law, and with the intent of using the animal for food. Killing for trophies is a disgusting practice.

Fully agree with you. I do hunt -- and care less if it's got big or little antlers. I don't eat that part - and have never understood the fascination. I suspect it's a penile compensation syndrome of some sort. I probably would shoot a lion if one decided to take up residence in my backyard -- but I'd never waste my time and money to go somewhere else to kill one. Again -- seems like a "compensation" kinda activity.

If they have proof that the animal was lured -- that's probably covered by poaching laws - and they should be enforced.

[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post