The Consequences of Hugging Bunnies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2015, 08:48 PM
RE: The Consequences of Hugging Bunnies
(31-07-2015 12:12 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 11:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  I want a license to hunt poachers. Drinking Beverage
I know a guy who's been to SA several times to hunt - and he said the guys who run the hunting preserve talk about that idea, more or less half seriously......

Thing is -- there's probably people who WOULD go - if it was legal to kill other people....... And most of them probably wouldn't give a fuck for less about the animals.

Then you'd probably even have poacher poachers - who do it without a license....

I was serious. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2015, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2015 10:00 PM by Full Circle.)
(31-07-2015 12:53 PM)kim Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 11:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  I want a license to hunt poachers. Drinking Beverage

I've thought about this, too. Thumbsup

I'd strip them naked and hunt them with the same kind of weapon they use. However, I wouldn't actually kill. I'd leave them wounded. I'd leave them for an animal clean up the remains.

I'm ok with serving up a cup of instant karma. Drinking Beverage

You need to watch a 60's movie called "The Naked Prey" Thumbsup
Good movie, similar premise.
late 19th century, chauvinistic hunter Gert vanDen Bergh calculatedly offends a local tribal chief. Given several opportunities, he refuses to apologize. As consequence, vanDen Bergh and the rest of his hunting party are captured by the tribesmen and grotesquely tortured to death. The only white man spared is safari-guide Cornel Wilde, whom the natives respect and vice versa. The tribesmen offer Wilde a chance to survive; stripping him naked and giving him a knife to defend himself, they set Wilde free in the jungle, in preparation of hunting him down like a lion. Given a head start equal to the distance one of the tribesman can fire an arrow, Wilde is pursued by the tribe's six most accomplished warriors. The rest of this thrill-a-minute film follows Wilde into the underbrush in his desperate, resourceful flight for life. Cornel Wilde's The Naked Prey was filmed entirely on location under circumstances nearly as dangerous as the plight of its protagonist.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
01-08-2015, 06:59 AM
(31-07-2015 07:52 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I've got cougars around my house, although they stay hidden most of the time, and I've got a boatload of them down at my ranch. I love them and I consider them to be my pets. They will live a long and healthy life as long as they don't attack my family or my horses. The same is true of the bears. I have a new neighbor on my street who had her first run in with a grumpy bear on Wednesday last. Scared the shit out of her.

Lion hunting, and elephant hunting, in Zimbabwe is all a matter of perspective. I have an old friend who had a very large farm in Zimbabwe. Every year, he would lose one or two of his farm hands to lions and sometimes an elephant. He also lost livestock to lions and leopards and has had his crops decimated by elephants, cape buffalo, zebra, etc.

I don't trophy hunt but if I could, I would live off wild game meat and fish and I'd never buy a steak in a store again. I can tell you from experience that once you get used to elk, bison, etc., grocery store beef tastes like shit.

You don't have to worry about your horses (maybe a fowl) --cougars won't mess with them - because a horse will kill a cougar - and will actually chase after one... (So I've been told by ranch hands in Wyoming)

I usually get at least 3 whitetails a year - and that keeps enough meat in the freezer that I don't buy much (if any) beef for the year.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-08-2015, 09:19 AM
One of the neighbors lost a horse to a mountain lion two years ago. Normally, they leave horses alone but they will kill cattle. Another neighbor lost 6 head of cattle to lions last year including one very surly bull. In 1983, the Colorado DOW asked me to hunt a lion near Westcliffe who had developed a taste for horse meat. My dogs and I chased that thing for a full day before we treed him. He was a very young male, recently emancipated. I called the game warden who had called me and said that I couldn't kill that little guy but I would chase him up into the Sangre de Cristo mountains where he could get fat on deer and elk. That's what I did and we never heard from that lion again.
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
01-08-2015, 10:26 AM
(31-07-2015 11:16 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 10:46 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Sorry you took it that way -- if you read my other posts - I did say that if it's proved he did this illegally it should be covered by poaching laws and should be prosecuted. Poaching is poaching.

My point is that legal hunting is beneficial and to do away with it would only make matters worse.

They used to allow deer to be hunted in our area once every couple years or so. I've no problem with it at all. It keeps the deer population healthy.

Now they tranquilize them and move them into another area -- where they can be safely hunted. We're semi residential and there have been serious concerns about allowing hunting in the area.

I've no issue with legal hunting.

Are you sure. My neighbor goes deer hunting. I haven't heard anything about this.

My husband was certified to hunt with a bow and arrow at one time but his shoulder got messed up. He doesn't want to use a compound bow, he feels like it's cheating a little bit. He's made a couple of bows by hand and they're beautiful but they're sitting out in the garage these days gathering dust.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
01-08-2015, 08:56 PM
(31-07-2015 11:35 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I've never understood trophy hunting. I've always eaten my kills - typically just dove. Deer hunting is a necessity in our area for population control, just not my cup of tea - I'd rather be out in the corn fields than in the woods freezing my ass off later needing a full body inspection for ticks. Most hunters I know also get the deer meat processed and have deer burgers and make deer jerky from it (yum) so the animal isn't left to rot.

I can't fathom killing such a magnificent, endangered, high functioning creature unless it's a nuisance or threat. It makes me sad. Killing an animal so you can behead it and hang it on the wall while leaving its corpse to rot...ick. What a waste of something precious.

I don't get it either.

I'm not a hunter and have no desire to be. But, I have no real objection to the concept of hunting. It's just not something I have any interest in doing myself. But, I have zero respect for people who kill for sport and not for food.

The description as to what happened with this particular kill are very concerning and if laws were broken I hope people are held accountable. But, ignoring that, I do not understand the desire to kill an animal for no other reason than to kill it. Regardless of whether he killed this lion or one that was legal, I can not fathom the desire to take the life of a living thing simply because you can. And, when you can use a weapon that allows you to stay safely away from the animal you are trying to kill, it's not a "sport". A sport would be trying to take it down with a knife, face to face. Give the lion a chance to fight back and to win and now we've got us a sport. But, to do what this guy did? Legal or not legal, it's sadistic and, in my estimation, says a lot about the type of person this is.

From what I gather, he did not intend to kill a protected lion and relied on is guides. Assuming that's true; ok, fair enough. But, it takes a certain level of sickness to want to do what he did, regardless of the legality.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
01-08-2015, 09:05 PM
(01-08-2015 08:56 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 11:35 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I've never understood trophy hunting. I've always eaten my kills - typically just dove. Deer hunting is a necessity in our area for population control, just not my cup of tea - I'd rather be out in the corn fields than in the woods freezing my ass off later needing a full body inspection for ticks. Most hunters I know also get the deer meat processed and have deer burgers and make deer jerky from it (yum) so the animal isn't left to rot.

I can't fathom killing such a magnificent, endangered, high functioning creature unless it's a nuisance or threat. It makes me sad. Killing an animal so you can behead it and hang it on the wall while leaving its corpse to rot...ick. What a waste of something precious.

I don't get it either.

I'm not a hunter and have no desire to be. But, I have no real objection to the concept of hunting. It's just not something I have any interest in doing myself. But, I have zero respect for people who kill for sport and not for food.

The description as to what happened with this particular kill are very concerning and if laws were broken I hope people are held accountable. But, ignoring that, I do not understand the desire to kill an animal for no other reason than to kill it. Regardless of whether he killed this lion or one that was legal, I can not fathom the desire to take the life of a living thing simply because you can. And, when you can use a weapon that allows you to stay safely away from the animal you are trying to kill, it's not a "sport". A sport would be trying to take it down with a knife, face to face. Give the lion a chance to fight back and to win and now we've got us a sport. But, to do what this guy did? Legal or not legal, it's sadistic and, in my estimation, says a lot about the type of person this is.

From what I gather, he did not intend to kill a protected lion and relied on is guides. Assuming that's true; ok, fair enough. But, it takes a certain level of sickness to want to do what he did, regardless of the legality.

"Sporting" is a stupid concept.

When you're going to kill something -- the most "ethical" way to do it is the most direct, with the surest outcome of a quick, clean kill.......

If you have to "give the animal a chance" --- then you're not properly committed to doing the job properly -- and shouldn't do it.

"Legal", "ethical", and "sporting" are not synonyms.

As far as I'm concerned - if you're going to kill something -- do it quickly, and get it over with. It's what I'd want - if something was trying to kill me.

Everything has to die. But not everything need die badly.

As best I can -- nothing dies badly by my hand....

That's what I understand "ethical" to mean.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
01-08-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:Stapelkamp shares the anger, not just because of the demise of Cecil. Also because, he said, it's not the first time a lion has been killed illegally around Hwange National Park in northwestern Zimbabwe, a reserve known for its rich wildlife. About a dozen lions in the region were killed illegally in recent years, Stapelkamp said, and no one was caught.

"I think this was just the final straw," Stapelkamp told The Associated Press in a phone interview from the Hwange reserve. "Everyone locally just thought, no ways, we're not letting anyone get away with this anymore."

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
02-08-2015, 12:00 PM
(01-08-2015 09:05 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 08:56 PM)BnW Wrote:  I don't get it either.

"Sporting" is a stupid concept.

When you're going to kill something -- the most "ethical" way to do it is the most direct, with the surest outcome of a quick, clean kill.......

If you have to "give the animal a chance" --- then you're not properly committed to doing the job properly -- and shouldn't do it.

"Legal", "ethical", and "sporting" are not synonyms.

As far as I'm concerned - if you're going to kill something -- do it quickly, and get it over with. It's what I'd want - if something was trying to kill me.

Everything has to die. But not everything need die badly.

As best I can -- nothing dies badly by my hand....

That's what I understand "ethical" to mean.

I'm not the one who threw in the adjective of "sporting" to describe this. Whomever came up with the concept of killing large animals not for their meat but only for the sheer fun of it also came up with the idea of "sporting". There is nothing sporting about it, though. And, I disagree we need to make it as easy as possible for these sociopaths to kill the animals. Make it an actual sport where there is a chance of losing.

Like I said before, I don't have any objection to hunting as a concept. But, this idea of killing something not for food, not for survival but simply because it is there is pretty sick. Too each their own, I guess, but I certainly don't feel bad for someone who did it and is now facing public outrage.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
02-08-2015, 02:28 PM
I find it reprehensible to simply kill for the fun of it. Kill for a reason? Sure. Kill for food? Sure. But for the "fun" of it???

That's just fucking stupid, and a waste of a valuable resource.

You might just as well set fire to oil wells - "just to see the pretty flames".

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post