The Consolations of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
14-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Re: RE: The Consolations of Atheism
(14-06-2014 10:14 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 10:02 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The sun (solaris) the nearest star to this planet is the primary source of the energy. We can trace the lineage of the energy back to the big bang but for practical purposes it is enough to say the sun.
So enlighten me as to why this information is important and worth occupying a memory cell in my brain.
Over your head, huh?

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TubbyTubby's post
14-06-2014, 11:07 AM
RE: The Consolations of Atheism
(14-06-2014 10:27 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 10:14 AM)childeye Wrote:  So enlighten me as to why this information is important and worth occupying a memory cell in my brain.

You implied that you wanted to know where the energy that is used by the brain in making chemicals came from. This and knowledge is power the more you know about life the universe and everything the better able you are to judge what is true and what is false.
Yes, but I doubt I can know everything in the universe due to lack of capacity in my brain and the limited time that is in my life. Consequently I seek the most valued knowledge. I already know the energy came from somewhere. It is not deemed satisfying enough to me to trace the expansion of the universe to solaris. If such knowledge can change the capacity of mankind to self destruct, I would be fascinated.
Find all posts by this user
14-06-2014, 11:09 AM
(14-06-2014 11:03 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 10:14 AM)childeye Wrote:  So enlighten me as to why this information is important and worth occupying a memory cell in my brain.
Over your head, huh?
Perhaps. That is why I asked to be enlightened.
14-06-2014, 02:24 PM
(12-06-2014 06:19 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  So you would say that there is an appeal to atheism in the sense that it offers you consolation as you put it.

Would that be fair to say?

The reason I am asking this is because I have been told by some that a reality without God in it is something that one must face with a determination and resolve. As if it is indeed bleak, and depressing, but nontheless true and thus one has to simply "deal with it"....

So it seems here that your view is actually something I do not see all that often. That your beliefs offer you consolation.

That is interesting.

Jeremy who told you life without God is bleak and depressing? Who? And who are they that you value their opinion?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 3 users Like WitchSabrina's post
14-06-2014, 03:06 PM
(14-06-2014 02:24 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 06:19 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  So you would say that there is an appeal to atheism in the sense that it offers you consolation as you put it.

Would that be fair to say?

The reason I am asking this is because I have been told by some that a reality without God in it is something that one must face with a determination and resolve. As if it is indeed bleak, and depressing, but nontheless true and thus one has to simply "deal with it"....

So it seems here that your view is actually something I do not see all that often. That your beliefs offer you consolation.

That is interesting.

Jeremy who told you life without God is bleak and depressing? Who? And who are they that you value their opinion?

Meh.. It's just another bullshit misconception held by the incredibly ignorant.
14-06-2014, 03:42 PM
(14-06-2014 11:03 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  
Over your head, huh?

The sun? Over all our heads at times. Big Grin

(13-06-2014 11:54 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  ...
That's fair. I'll be glad to support it.
3. Therefore the Christian God does not exist.

Absolutely fucking AWESOME!

I want all of that post as a bumper sticker!

14-06-2014, 03:46 PM
(14-06-2014 11:07 AM)childeye Wrote:  ...
Yes, but I doubt I can know everything in the universe due to lack of capacity in my brain and the limited time that is in my life. Consequently I seek the most valued knowledge that supports my existing views. I already know the energy came from somewhere. It is not deemed satisfying enough to me to trace the expansion of the universe to solaris. If such knowledge can change the capacity of mankind to self destruct, I would be fascinated.

Fixt Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
14-06-2014, 04:06 PM
The Consolations of Atheism
(14-06-2014 09:50 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 09:13 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Still have not learned anything about neuroscience I see. Love is a chemical in the brain not the creator of all existence. You stance is circular and illogical and always has been. But we have both argued this to death and I know how this carousel works. I try to pin you down to anything and you just revert back to your assertions and pretend the conversation never happened. Repeat ad nauseum.
Respectfully, the problem is you never say anything of any relevance, and when I point that out, you simply shrug it off convinced you need learn nothing. What is the chemical for cynicism, foolishness, and stupidity? Take your neuroscience remark. The brain it's self is a chemical as is most everything in the universe. The energy that created it came from somewhere. We can't appreciate the artistry of a great painting with an electron microscope. Therefore, you've said nothing and offered nothing but obscurity and ambiguity. Hence I have learned from your tutelage and others on this forum, that the "freethinking" contrary mind of the atheist is to hold to the fixed position that there is no fixed position.

[Image: vahetu9a.jpg]

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 3 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
14-06-2014, 04:20 PM
(14-06-2014 11:07 AM)childeye Wrote:  ... I doubt I can know everything in the universe due to lack of capacity in my brain and the limited time that is in my life. Consequently I seek the most valued knowledge ...

First sentence: there's no doubt.

Second sentence: you've got a problem. It takes more knowledge than you have to assess the value of what you seek to know, but don't yet know. You can't possibly measure something you haven't got yet. You can guess, and even make informed guesses, but it isn't until you've actually gained knowledge that you'll be able to gauge its value.

It isn't just your problem; it's a problem that has hobbled and will hobble mankind forever. The only relief is to just keep piling on knowledge, not recklessly, but relentlessly, and recognize that not all of it will be valuable, but having a lot of it makes the guesswork less chancy.

If you get too choosy about which spigots to drink your knowledge from, you'll lose your taste for anything but KoolAid, and the ability to discern potential quality from trash.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
14-06-2014, 04:25 PM
(14-06-2014 04:06 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  [Image: vahetu9a.jpg]

Well, it's hard to argue with that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post