The Consolations of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
14-06-2014, 08:56 PM
RE: The Consolations of Atheism
(14-06-2014 09:56 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 09:38 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Word. Fucking. Salad.
Over your head huh?

Not at all. Coming down on your bullshit. Too bad you are too fucking stupid to figure out what's going on.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2014, 09:32 PM
(14-06-2014 11:09 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 11:03 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  Over your head, huh?
Perhaps. That is why I asked to be enlightened.

Too fucking bad. Can't put anything in a cup full of shit.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
14-06-2014, 09:35 PM
(14-06-2014 08:56 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 09:56 AM)childeye Wrote:  Over your head huh?

Not at all. Coming down on your bullshit. Too bad you are too fucking stupid to figure out what's going on.

[Image: AAChr.jpg]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
14-06-2014, 09:54 PM
(14-06-2014 10:33 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Childeye, I'm just curious if you believe that animals have souls.

Okay, I guess that was a bit out of left field. Thanks for ignoring it though.

You seem infatuated with this ontological definition of love, and your logical conclusion is for that love to be god because in your mind there is no greater thing. But if we take a look at what we call love, do we not observe the same capability for affection, selflessness, loyalty and contentment in other animals?

We humans happen to have brains that have evolved enough to be able to wonder what it is that makes us love. We are able to turn love into an abstract concept and apply different labels to it, but that doesn't mean that other creatures can't or don't feel the same things that we do towards other beings.

So I ask again, if god were willing to put this love into other animals, do you think he would have to have given them a soul in order to feel it? If not, then what is it about us humans that makes that love a different love?

How are we not just different animals feeling the same thing?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
15-06-2014, 05:44 AM
(14-06-2014 02:24 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 06:19 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  So you would say that there is an appeal to atheism in the sense that it offers you consolation as you put it.

Would that be fair to say?

The reason I am asking this is because I have been told by some that a reality without God in it is something that one must face with a determination and resolve. As if it is indeed bleak, and depressing, but nontheless true and thus one has to simply "deal with it"....

So it seems here that your view is actually something I do not see all that often. That your beliefs offer you consolation.

That is interesting.

Jeremy who told you life without God is bleak and depressing? Who? And who are they that you value their opinion?

Bertrand Russell, Sartre, Nietzsche, Hesse, Beckett, Camus etc. etc.

Those are the more well known ones. I have personally spoken with atheists who have told me that life without God is ultimately meaningless so this is not something I have made up.

below is an article you may want to read.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree...ak-atheism
15-06-2014, 10:53 AM
(15-06-2014 05:44 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 02:24 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Jeremy who told you life without God is bleak and depressing? Who? And who are they that you value their opinion?

Those are the more well known ones. I have personally spoken with atheists who have told me that life without God is ultimately meaningless so this is not something I have made up.

Just because a few people have an opinion on a subject, it does not make it true for everyone. Most Atheist are happy without a magical invisible man. You can see that everywhere. I can tell you for damn sure my life has full of meaning without a God. Leave it to a Christian to cherry pick data that only supports his argument and not provide data of the other side of the argument. In order for this claim to be true I want to see evidence that a higher percentage of Atheist agree with your claim than those who do not.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
15-06-2014, 11:37 AM
The Consolations of Atheism
(15-06-2014 05:44 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 02:24 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Jeremy who told you life without God is bleak and depressing? Who? And who are they that you value their opinion?

I see you haven't actually read Nietzsche or Camus.

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
15-06-2014, 11:47 AM
(15-06-2014 11:37 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 05:44 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Bertrand Russell, Sartre, Nietzsche, Hesse, Beckett, Camus etc. etc.

Yep. Jeremy likes to make bullshit assertions without any evidence. Jeremy never read any of the books he listed.
15-06-2014, 12:30 PM
(15-06-2014 11:37 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 05:44 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Bertrand Russell, Sartre, Nietzsche, Hesse, Beckett, Camus etc. etc.

I actually have.
15-06-2014, 12:30 PM
(15-06-2014 11:47 AM)Leo Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 11:37 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  I see you haven't actually read Nietzsche or Camus.
Yep. Jeremy likes to make bullshit assertions without any evidence. Jeremy never read any of the books he listed.

I think you mean to say "authors" instead of "books".