The Consolations of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
15-06-2014, 01:04 PM
RE: The Consolations of Atheism
(15-06-2014 05:44 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 02:24 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Jeremy who told you life without God is bleak and depressing? Who? And who are they that you value their opinion?

Bertrand Russell, Sartre, Nietzsche, Hesse, Beckett, Camus etc. etc.

Those are the more well known ones. I have personally spoken with atheists who have told me that life without God is ultimately meaningless so this is not something I have made up.

You misread them. Ultimate meaningless does not equal bleak and depressing. Quite the opposite actually. Silly Jeremy.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2014, 01:07 PM
(15-06-2014 01:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 05:44 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Bertrand Russell, Sartre, Nietzsche, Hesse, Beckett, Camus etc. etc.

Those are the more well known ones. I have personally spoken with atheists who have told me that life without God is ultimately meaningless so this is not something I have made up.

You misread them. Ultimate meaningless does not equal bleak and depressing. Quite the opposite actually. Silly Jeremy.

Bare assertion. What can be asserted without evidence, can be so dismissed. Thank Chris!
15-06-2014, 01:08 PM
(15-06-2014 12:30 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 11:47 AM)Leo Wrote:  Yep. Jeremy likes to make bullshit assertions without any evidence. Jeremy never read any of the books he listed.

I think you mean to say "authors" instead of "books".

I meant to say the authors of the books. You never read any of the authors books.Hobo
15-06-2014, 01:10 PM
(15-06-2014 01:07 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 01:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You misread them. Ultimate meaningless does not equal bleak and depressing. Quite the opposite actually. Silly Jeremy.

Bare assertion. What can be asserted without evidence, can be so dismissed. Thank Chris!

Your post above is the evidence you misread the authors. Thanks Jeremy !
15-06-2014, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2014 01:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-06-2014 01:07 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 01:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You misread them. Ultimate meaningless does not equal bleak and depressing. Quite the opposite actually. Silly Jeremy.

Precisely because there is no ultimate meaning, that responsibility falls on the individual to create it without concern for its artificiality or impermanence. Some choose to embrace that responsibility and some choose to abrogate it. You Jeremy have chosen to abrogate it.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-06-2014, 04:11 PM
(14-06-2014 08:56 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 09:56 AM)childeye Wrote:  Over your head huh?

Not at all. Coming down on your bullshit. Too bad you are too fucking stupid to figure out what's going on.
If I'm so stupid, then accordingly you must count yourself smarter than me. So why not show me some empathy and correct my stupidity rather than just lord your superiority over me in prideful arrogant contempt for that condition which I cannot help?
[+] 1 user Likes childeye's post
15-06-2014, 04:14 PM
(14-06-2014 09:32 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 11:09 AM)childeye Wrote:  Perhaps. That is why I asked to be enlightened.

Too fucking bad. Can't put anything in a cup full of shit.
Correction, I asked to be enlightened. No one asking for enlightenment is full of shit.
[+] 2 users Like childeye's post
15-06-2014, 04:22 PM
(14-06-2014 09:54 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 10:33 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Childeye, I'm just curious if you believe that animals have souls.

Okay, I guess that was a bit out of left field. Thanks for ignoring it though.

You seem infatuated with this ontological definition of love, and your logical conclusion is for that love to be god because in your mind there is no greater thing. But if we take a look at what we call love, do we not observe the same capability for affection, selflessness, loyalty and contentment in other animals?

We humans happen to have brains that have evolved enough to be able to wonder what it is that makes us love. We are able to turn love into an abstract concept and apply different labels to it, but that doesn't mean that other creatures can't or don't feel the same things that we do towards other beings.

So I ask again, if god were willing to put this love into other animals, do you think he would have to have given them a soul in order to feel it? If not, then what is it about us humans that makes that love a different love?

How are we not just different animals feeling the same thing?
I apologize for only now getting to this post. I enjoy writing to you, I just don't always have the time.

You ask a great question. I debate this topic a lot on the Christian forums. I believe animals have souls. The word soul is nephesh in Hebrew. It means to breathe in the basic sense. I think we are animals with greater reasoning ability than lower forms of animals. Animals do feel Love is my observation. I still remember the crap I got on this forum when I said my dog was a theist because she felt compassion. Looking back it makes me laugh. Do you remember that?
15-06-2014, 04:34 PM
(15-06-2014 04:14 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 09:32 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Too fucking bad. Can't put anything in a cup full of shit.
Correction, I asked to be enlightened. No one asking for enlightenment is full of shit.

Enlightenment itself on the other hand turns out to be just a big pile of poo.

15-06-2014, 04:44 PM
(15-06-2014 04:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 04:14 PM)childeye Wrote:  Correction, I asked to be enlightened. No one asking for enlightenment is full of shit.

Enlightenment itself on the other hand turns out to be just a big pile of poo.
Subjectively speaking knowledge is indeed a fleeting thing, if that's what you mean.