The Consolations of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
15-06-2014, 10:48 PM
RE: The Consolations of Atheism
(15-06-2014 10:00 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 04:14 PM)childeye Wrote:  Correction, I asked to be enlightened. No one asking for enlightenment is full of shit.

You can do your faux-asking all you want. The folks here give you good information and you reject it in favor of your silly fucking superstitions. Take the fucking cotton out of your fucking ears and stick it in your fucking mouth.
Ah, well at least you have given me a clue as to what your problem is with me. In all honesty, I do not recall having seen any information I didn't already know. Nor do I recall rejecting any information without giving a valid reason why. But perhaps I missed something and you are right. Please show me what information I have rejected.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2014, 11:03 PM
(15-06-2014 10:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 10:00 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  You can do your faux-asking all you want. The folks here give you good information and you reject it in favor of your silly fucking superstitions. Take the fucking cotton out of your fucking ears and stick it in your fucking mouth.
Ah, well at least you have given me a clue as to what your problem is with me. In all honesty, I do not recall having seen any information I didn't already know.

Facepalm

Quote: Nor do I recall rejecting any information without giving a valid reason why.

Yes, because

[Image: headupass.jpg]

Quote:But perhaps I missed something and you are right. Please show me what information I have rejected.

No one can show you anything until you extricate yourself from your current predicament:

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 3 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
15-06-2014, 11:10 PM
(15-06-2014 11:03 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 10:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  Ah, well at least you have given me a clue as to what your problem is with me. In all honesty, I do not recall having seen any information I didn't already know.

Facepalm

Quote: Nor do I recall rejecting any information without giving a valid reason why.

Yes, because

Quote:But perhaps I missed something and you are right. Please show me what information I have rejected.

No one can show you anything until you extricate yourself from your current predicament:

Hello, hello, hello... Hey, there's an echo in here, here, here.
[+] 3 users Like childeye's post
15-06-2014, 11:18 PM
(15-06-2014 11:10 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 11:03 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Facepalm

Yes, because

Hello, hello, hello... Hey, there's an echo in here, here, here.

Yeah.

Facepalm

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
15-06-2014, 11:23 PM
(15-06-2014 11:18 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 11:10 PM)childeye Wrote:  Hello, hello, hello... Hey, there's an echo in here, here, here.

Yeah.

Facepalm
Say,say,say... What, what, what? I can't hear, hear, hear.
[+] 1 user Likes childeye's post
16-06-2014, 01:04 AM
[Image: nou.gif]

[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
16-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Childeye,

I have some questions for you, some of which I have already asked that have become lost in the discussion. I am very interested to read your answers. I hope you don't mind.

You said the following early on in the discussion.

(15-06-2014 11:23 PM)childeye Wrote:  Atheism is a contradictory reasoning based upon a misunderstanding of the term God. By an atheists definition of god, gods etc.. all True Christians are atheists.

1. In what way is remaining unconvinced of a particular religion's claims a contradiction? What does it contradict?

2. What is "an atheists definition of god" and as opposed to what other "type" of definition?

3. What is a True Christian? What does it mean and how can we tell who is and who isn't?

4. How is an Atheist, someone who does not believe there is a god, in any way a Christian, someone who worships and attempts to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ?

5. In what way are the concepts of god and love the same thing?

(15-06-2014 11:23 PM)childeye Wrote:  The Spirit of Christ is real even as you have just acknowledged. It is a fact. It is not an ideal, it is the reality of morality.

6. What exactly is "The Spirit of Christ" and what evidence convinces you personally of its nature and reality?

7. What do you mean by "It is not an ideal"?

8. In what way is "The Spirit of Christ" related to Morality?

(15-06-2014 11:23 PM)childeye Wrote:  An absolute moral good. A single moral Truth that all men must eventually submit to.

9. What evidence convinces you that there exist one absolute moral good? What evidence proves this as truth and not merely your subjective opinion?

(15-06-2014 11:23 PM)childeye Wrote:  We all need to be loved and be ruled by Truth.
(15-06-2014 11:23 PM)childeye Wrote:  An absolute moral good. A single moral Truth that all men must eventually submit to.

10. Why is it your opinion that everyone ought to "eventually submit" and "be ruled by truth". If you wish this to be true, why? If the rest of us don't want to take your word for the "truth" you wish us to be ruled by, can you give us a better reason to agree with you?

11. How is Jesus Christ, the man/god, also "the word of god". I am unsure if you mean to say he is the bible, or the sum of all words related to Christianity. Either way, how can he be both a living entity and also words?

12. I can't help but wonder, by what standard or authority do you tell the difference and/or measure whether there is enough selflessness or not? For example, I am eating lunch just now. I could be feeding my lunch to someone downtown who doesn't have one if I wanted to. There a plenty of opportunities like that every day but I doubt people seriously consider doing them very often. Who is to judge whether sitting and eating my own lunch, in full empathetic knowledge of starving homeless downtown, is anything close to living a selfless life?

13. Is it your view that it is possible, limited human beings that we are, to follow every commandment and injunction in Christianity to full satisfaction and perfection? Also, how likely is it for the average person to do so?

14. In your view, what do "carnal mind" or "carnal understanding" mean?

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 2 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
16-06-2014, 02:09 PM
(16-06-2014 01:58 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  ... by what standard or authority do you tell the difference and/or measure whether there is enough selflessness or not? For example, I am eating lunch just now. I could be feeding my lunch to someone downtown who doesn't have one if I wanted to. There a plenty of opportunities like that every day but I doubt people seriously consider doing them very often. Who is to judge whether sitting and eating my own lunch, in full empathetic knowledge of starving homeless downtown, is anything close to living a selfless life?

That's the superhero problem. A genuine superhero such as Superman or Batman would never have a moment to do anything but stop crime everywhere that it occurs 24/7. Not even time to piss on a defeated thug. Or drink anything to make piss out of. The concept is untenable - but the fantasy has appeal so the comics publishers make a living drawing it with flashy ink. A lot like religion.
16-06-2014, 02:12 PM
(16-06-2014 02:09 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 01:58 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  ... by what standard or authority do you tell the difference and/or measure whether there is enough selflessness or not? For example, I am eating lunch just now. I could be feeding my lunch to someone downtown who doesn't have one if I wanted to. There a plenty of opportunities like that every day but I doubt people seriously consider doing them very often. Who is to judge whether sitting and eating my own lunch, in full empathetic knowledge of starving homeless downtown, is anything close to living a selfless life?

That's the superhero problem. A genuine superhero such as Superman or Batman would never have a moment to do anything but stop crime everywhere that it occurs 24/7. Not even time to piss on a defeated thug. Or drink anything to make piss out of. The concept is untenable - but the fantasy has appeal so the comics publishers make a living drawing it with flashy ink. A lot like religion.

[Image: 20110713.gif]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
16-06-2014, 07:15 PM