The Consolations of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
12-06-2014, 08:42 PM
RE: The Consolations of Atheism
(12-06-2014 08:27 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 04:01 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  2. I do not fear death. Without life beyond the grave what is left to fear? Only the business of dying, not the death itself. Even then I can die with the knowledge that whatever pain I suffer will soon be over and that I will not be around to suffer in the aftermath.

I think Ricky Gervais said it best.

Quote:“It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.”
― Ricky Gervais
Atheism is a contradictory reasoning based upon a misunderstanding of the term God. By an atheists definition of god, gods etc.. all True Christians are atheists.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2014, 08:51 PM
(12-06-2014 08:42 PM)childeye Wrote:  Atheism is a contradictory reasoning based upon a misunderstanding of the term God. By an atheists definition of god, gods etc.. all True Christians are atheists.

At work.

Except, Christians/Mono-theists AREN'T Atheists. ...........So, there is that.......

Much cheers to all.
[+] 5 users Like Peebothuhul's post
12-06-2014, 10:55 PM
(12-06-2014 06:19 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  So you would say that there is an appeal to atheism in the sense that it offers you consolation as you put it.

Would that be fair to say?

Yes.

(12-06-2014 06:19 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  The reason I am asking this is because I have been told by some that a reality without God in it is something that one must face with a determination and resolve. As if it is indeed bleak, and depressing, but nonetheless true and thus one has to simply "deal with it"....

So it seems here that your view is actually something I do not see all that often. That your beliefs offer you consolation.

That is interesting.

I have heard similar comments about the bleak nature of reality without god, which in some ways is true. For example, one must face death with nothing but courage, accepting that it is the end. That is no easy feat. There are two reasons that I am not driven to belief by such hard truths. 1) I have my consolations, as listed above and 2) I think there are some inevitable things that no consolation can remedy, such as the grief of a dead loved one.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
12-06-2014, 10:58 PM
(12-06-2014 06:25 PM)childeye Wrote:  Your imagery of God is not very good. In view of your testimony, you should at least realize that if your unfaith is joy, your god is messed up.

Do you mean to say that I portray belief in god poorly or that god is not good himself? Perhaps neither?

We are in agreement here. I consider the god of the three monotheisms to be a very messed up idea indeed.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Phoenix's post
12-06-2014, 11:00 PM
(12-06-2014 07:05 PM)childeye Wrote:  Any invented god or gods are messed up. It's like an amoeba trying to invent the universe.

I have yet to encounter a god not of the invented variety. I don't suppose you have?

-Karl Marx
[+] 3 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
12-06-2014, 11:18 PM
(12-06-2014 08:05 PM)DLJ Wrote:  To the OP:

All 1-7... agreed.

So these apply (with some minor modifications to your wording) to someone (me) who never bought the myth in the first place.

That was a well written piece, DP
*goes off to check if rep given yet*

Thank you very much for the compliment. I always am interested in your feedback.

-Karl Marx
12-06-2014, 11:21 PM
(12-06-2014 11:00 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 07:05 PM)childeye Wrote:  Any invented god or gods are messed up. It's like an amoeba trying to invent the universe.

I have yet to encounter a god not of the invented variety. I don't suppose you have?
Your question is somewhat loaded as I suspect you know the answer. Yes, I believe God is Love. Love is not invented.
12-06-2014, 11:25 PM
(12-06-2014 10:58 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 06:25 PM)childeye Wrote:  Your imagery of God is not very good. In view of your testimony, you should at least realize that if your unfaith is joy, your god is messed up.

Do you mean to say that I portray belief in god poorly or that god is not good himself? Perhaps neither?
It is late for me. If I may speak directly, I am saying the god you are imagining is not good. No one could believe (trust) in such a god.
12-06-2014, 11:28 PM
(12-06-2014 08:51 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 08:42 PM)childeye Wrote:  Atheism is a contradictory reasoning based upon a misunderstanding of the term God. By an atheists definition of god, gods etc.. all True Christians are atheists.

At work.

Except, Christians/Mono-theists AREN'T Atheists. ...........So, there is that.......

Much cheers to all.
Using atheist definitions of god, they indeed ARE atheists.
12-06-2014, 11:32 PM

I have questions.

1. In what way is remaining unconvinced of a particular religion's claims a contradiction? What does it contradict?

2. What is "an atheists definition of god" and as opposed to what?

3. What is a True Christian? What does it mean and how can we tell who is and who isn't?

4. How is an Atheist, someone who does not believe there is a god, in any way a Christian, someone who worships and attempts to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ? Last I checked they were the exact opposite of one another.

-Karl Marx
[+] 2 users Like Dark Phoenix's post