The Consolations of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
13-06-2014, 05:54 PM
RE: The Consolations of Atheism
(13-06-2014 05:17 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 05:08 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  people's worldviews can change over time. but at any given time, a person can only have one worldview.

So one can not be Buddhist and atheist?

If a person thinks that Gautama Buddha was God/a god then yes. They could be a Theistic Buddhist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2014, 06:08 PM
(13-06-2014 05:54 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 05:17 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  So one can not be Buddhist and atheist?

If a person thinks that Gautama Buddha was God/a god then yes. They could be a Theistic Buddhist.

What about an atheist buddhist?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
13-06-2014, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2014 06:19 PM by DLJ.)
(13-06-2014 05:52 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  ...
atheists have beliefs so I do not see your point.

An atheistic worldview is a view of reality sans God. It is a set of beliefs about the nature of reality that address certain fundamental questions unique to human beings i.e. what happens after death? What is the nature of reality? What is right and wrong? How did I get here? etc. etc. Atheists have beliefs regarding all of these questions and none of their answers can include "God".

Well, it wasn't really my point... I was attempting to explain where your reasoning had gone awry in your point.

Yes, atheists have beliefs.
You say that a set of beliefs constitute a worldview.

Therefore an individual atheist can have a worldview.
(I'm sure, on that basis, I have one too but I've yet to find a label (an 'ism') for it)

But one cannot use the term 'atheistic worldview' unless, to address your contradiction, you want to change your definition of a worldview to either:
a)... a set of beliefs and non-beliefs.
or
b)... one specific conclusion and various other beliefs

For a), using a label for oneself based on what one does not believe is kinda silly, don't you think?

When asked about your worldview, would you say, "primarily, I'm a non-communist?

For b), would you say that all the people who have come to the conclusion that the earth goes around the sun, but have no other beliefs in common should identify based on that one conclusion?

If so, would you call heliocentrism a worldview?

Perhaps you could if you were standing on the sun.
Wink

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-06-2014, 06:12 PM
(13-06-2014 06:08 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 05:54 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  If a person thinks that Gautama Buddha was God/a god then yes. They could be a Theistic Buddhist.

Yes. I know many of those.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-06-2014, 06:26 PM
(13-06-2014 06:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 06:08 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  What about an atheist buddhist?

Buddhist atheists also. Thumbsup

#sigh
13-06-2014, 06:29 PM
(13-06-2014 06:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 06:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Yes. I know many of those.

Buddhist atheists also. Thumbsup

Good point, well made.

That's a much better way of saying it.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-06-2014, 06:34 PM
(13-06-2014 05:54 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 05:17 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  So one can not be Buddhist and atheist?

Buddhists don't see the Buddha as a god. What the hell you are talking about?
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
13-06-2014, 06:35 PM
(13-06-2014 06:08 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 05:54 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  If a person thinks that Gautama Buddha was God/a god then yes. They could be a Theistic Buddhist.

Buddhists are atheists in the sense that they don't believe in a creator god.
13-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Atheism means freedom to me, plain and simple - and very worth it. I find it comical now that as a christian, I thought an atheist's life was empty and sad.

Now when it comes to debating atheism vs christianity, I think it's a waste of time. What's the saying? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results. I know some enjoy a good debate, and well that is their choice.

I have done some ranting on here regarding god, the bible, etc., but it was for my own purging, not to make someone else feel bad about what they believe. I was a christian for many years, and did not change, until I saw it for myself. As I'm sure, is the same with most everyone.

I've also replied to a couple posts here, that I wish I hadn't. Even when I feel I'm absolutely right - at the end of my day, I don't feel better about myself, because of it. I don't need to be right, to be happy.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like CindysRain's post
13-06-2014, 06:59 PM
(13-06-2014 06:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 06:08 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  What about an atheist buddhist?

Damnit DLJ I had a plan and you ruined it by saying that.Dodgy Just blew my shit man.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube