The Consolations of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
14-06-2014, 09:31 AM
RE: The Consolations of Atheism
(13-06-2014 05:52 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 05:13 PM)DLJ Wrote:  So you are disagreeing with yourself?

May I refresh your memory as it was such a long time ago that you wrote:
"A worldview is a particular set of beliefs or assumptions about reality."

The funny thing is, I've only ever heard WLC use the term "atheistic worldview".
Consider
Isn't that curious.
Yes

atheists have beliefs so I do not see your point.

An atheistic worldview is a view of reality sans God. It is a set of beliefs about the nature of reality that address certain fundamental questions unique to human beings i.e. what happens after death? What is the nature of reality? What is right and wrong? How did I get here? etc. etc. Atheists have beliefs regarding all of these questions and none of their answers can include "God".

The questions you pose are loaded and presuppositional, as is your faux definition.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
14-06-2014, 09:35 AM
(13-06-2014 05:54 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 05:17 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  So one can not be Buddhist and atheist?

If a person thinks that Gautama Buddha was God/a god then yes. They could be a Theistic Buddhist.

No Buddhist thinks that. Not one. And again your faux definition falsely presupposes the existence of your own fairy tale monster.

Fucking moron.

14-06-2014, 09:38 AM
(14-06-2014 09:00 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 07:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  Pro tip: They are all invented.
Hi Chas. Love, the moral Spirit is not invented. That is as plain to see as 1+1=2. and there is a right and a wrong in how we treat others. That's just the way it is. Whatever you have you against it is the delusion.

Word. Fucking. Salad.

14-06-2014, 09:50 AM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2014 10:02 AM by childeye.)
(14-06-2014 09:13 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 09:00 AM)childeye Wrote:  Hi Chas. Love, the moral Spirit is not invented. That is as plain to see as 1+1=2. and there is a right and a wrong in how we treat others. That's just the way it is. Whatever you have you against it is the delusion.

Still have not learned anything about neuroscience I see. Love is a chemical in the brain not the creator of all existence. You stance is circular and illogical and always has been. But we have both argued this to death and I know how this carousel works. I try to pin you down to anything and you just revert back to your assertions and pretend the conversation never happened. Repeat ad nauseum.
Respectfully, the problem is you never say anything of any relevance, and when I point that out, you simply shrug it off convinced you need learn nothing. What is the chemical for cynicism, foolishness, and stupidity? Take your neuroscience remark. The brain it's self is a chemical as is most everything in the universe. The energy that created it came from somewhere. We can't appreciate the artistry of a great painting with an electron microscope. Therefore, you've said nothing and offered nothing but obscurity and ambiguity. Hence I have learned from your tutelage and others on this forum, that the "freethinking" contrary mind of the atheist is to hold to the fixed position that there is no fixed position.
14-06-2014, 09:56 AM
(14-06-2014 09:38 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 09:00 AM)childeye Wrote:  Hi Chas. Love, the moral Spirit is not invented. That is as plain to see as 1+1=2. and there is a right and a wrong in how we treat others. That's just the way it is. Whatever you have against it is the delusion.

Word. Fucking. Salad.
Over your head huh?
14-06-2014, 09:57 AM
(13-06-2014 07:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 06:29 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Good point, well made.

That's a much better way of saying it.

Thumbsup

I know a shitload of Jewish atheists too. Thumbsup

As do I. And they love, love, love bacon and ham! Two of the best reasons to give up the Jewish religion.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
14-06-2014, 10:02 AM
(14-06-2014 09:50 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 09:13 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Still have not learned anything about neuroscience I see. Love is a chemical in the brain not the creator of all existence. You stance is circular and illogical and always has been. But we have both argued this to death and I know how this carousel works. I try to pin you down to anything and you just revert back to your assertions and pretend the conversation never happened. Repeat ad nauseum.
Respectfully, the problem is you never say anything of any relevance, and when I point that out, you simply shrug it off convinced you need learn nothing. What is the chemical for cynicism, foolishness, and stupidity? Take your neuroscience remark. The brain it's self is a chemical as is most everything in the universe. The energy that created it came from somewhere. Therefore, you've said nothing and offered nothing but obscurity and ambiguity. Hence I have learned from your tutelage and others on this forum, that the "freethinking" contrary mind of the atheist is to hold to the fixed position that there is no fixed position.

The sun (solaris) the nearest star to this planet is the primary source of the energy. We can trace the lineage of the energy back to the big bang but for practical purposes it is enough to say the sun.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
14-06-2014, 10:14 AM
(14-06-2014 10:02 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 09:50 AM)childeye Wrote:  Respectfully, the problem is you never say anything of any relevance, and when I point that out, you simply shrug it off convinced you need learn nothing. What is the chemical for cynicism, foolishness, and stupidity? Take your neuroscience remark. The brain it's self is a chemical as is most everything in the universe. The energy that created it came from somewhere. Therefore, you've said nothing and offered nothing but obscurity and ambiguity. Hence I have learned from your tutelage and others on this forum, that the "freethinking" contrary mind of the atheist is to hold to the fixed position that there is no fixed position.

The sun (solaris) the nearest star to this planet is the primary source of the energy. We can trace the lineage of the energy back to the big bang but for practical purposes it is enough to say the sun.
So enlighten me as to why this information is important and worth occupying a memory cell in my brain.
14-06-2014, 10:27 AM
(14-06-2014 10:14 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 10:02 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The sun (solaris) the nearest star to this planet is the primary source of the energy. We can trace the lineage of the energy back to the big bang but for practical purposes it is enough to say the sun.
So enlighten me as to why this information is important and worth occupying a memory cell in my brain.

You implied that you wanted to know where the energy that is used by the brain in making chemicals came from. This and knowledge is power the more you know about life the universe and everything the better able you are to judge what is true and what is false.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
14-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Childeye, I'm just curious if you believe that animals have souls.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco