The Contentious Opinions Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2015, 01:34 PM
RE: The Contentious Opinions Thread
NASCAR --- watching a hillbilly turn left....

Whoop de doo....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
22-07-2015, 01:35 PM
A good sport would be "deathball"...

The point is to kill the guy with the ball by any means necessary.....

I'd watch that...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
22-07-2015, 01:36 PM
(22-07-2015 01:00 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  This thread has become entirely too agreeable, so here is an attempt to make it contentious again:

Although I love a good boxing match, it is at best a guilty pleasure. Any sport in which the object is to injure your opponent should be illegal.

I have no strong feelings one way or the other about bottled water, but those people arguing about it over in another sub-forum should bring it over here.

Although there is much inanity in the Bible, there is also much great literature. After wallowing through Leviticus and Numbers (boring boring boring), I am revisiting Genesis and Exodus, and there are a lot of great stories in those 2 books.

Baseball is the greatest sport. NASCAR and hockey and soccer and golf are all boring boring boring, football and boxing are brutal, and basketball has way too much scoring. Baseball is perfect.

I find boxing to be quite sickening. I may even judge a person a bit harshly for it. I was having this discussion with my uncle just yesterday - robots fighting each other? Now that's a win. No one gets hurt and new inventions can come about from it.

I love baseball, too, but I think it's more boring than football. Still love it, though, mostly for childhood nostalgia and for the atmosphere at the games. And the beer and hotdogs.

Football...yeh, it's brutal. My son would be great at it but I'm not going to let him play. It's too rough on the body and has long term consequences. But I'm still gonna sit my ass down this fall in my orange and blue and watch it with beer and and buffalo chicken dip and other high fat tailgating foods screaming profanities at the tv.

Strongly disagree that hockey is boring. Too many fights and people shoved up against the glass. It's fun to me. And I realize this goes against my earlier statement that boxing is sickening.

Basketball makes me nauseous. Don't know why. But I don't enjoy it. Not one bit.

Cricket is not a real sport.

I'm sick to death of the Noah's ark and Moses and creation stories after years of Sunday school and bible school. Makes me cringe just thinking about having to sit back in one of those classrooms again.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
22-07-2015, 01:37 PM
(22-07-2015 01:36 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(22-07-2015 01:00 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  This thread has become entirely too agreeable, so here is an attempt to make it contentious again:

Although I love a good boxing match, it is at best a guilty pleasure. Any sport in which the object is to injure your opponent should be illegal.

I have no strong feelings one way or the other about bottled water, but those people arguing about it over in another sub-forum should bring it over here.

Although there is much inanity in the Bible, there is also much great literature. After wallowing through Leviticus and Numbers (boring boring boring), I am revisiting Genesis and Exodus, and there are a lot of great stories in those 2 books.

Baseball is the greatest sport. NASCAR and hockey and soccer and golf are all boring boring boring, football and boxing are brutal, and basketball has way too much scoring. Baseball is perfect.

I find boxing to be quite sickening. I may even judge a person a bit harshly for it. I was having this discussion with my uncle just yesterday - robots fighting each other? Now that's a win. No one gets hurt and new inventions can come about from it.

I love baseball, too, but I think it's more boring than football. Still love it, though, mostly for childhood nostalgia and for the atmosphere at the games. And the beer and hotdogs.

Football...yeh, it's brutal. My son would be great at it but I'm not going to let him play. It's too rough on the body and has long term consequences. But I'm still gonna sit my ass down this fall in my orange and blue and watch it with beer and and buffalo chicken dip and other high fat tailgating foods screaming profanities at the tv.

Strongly disagree that hockey is boring. Too many fights and people shoved up against the glass. It's fun to me. And I realize this goes against my earlier statement that boxing is sickening.

Basketball makes me nauseous. Don't know why. But I don't enjoy it. Not one bit.

Cricket is not a real sport.

I'm sick to death of the Noah's ark and Moses and creation stories after years of Sunday school and bible school. Makes me cringe just thinking about having to sit back in one of those classrooms again.

I went to the fights one night and a hockey game broke out.....

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
22-07-2015, 02:01 PM
Yes, baseball can be boring -- especially when the dumb-ass hitters have to step out of the box after every pitch and re-adjust every single item of clothing. They have cracked down on that a bit this year, but there's still too much of it. Also this business of bringing a different relief pitcher in for each hitter in the late innings. And the designated hitter is an abomination.

But in theory, baseball is perfect.

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
22-07-2015, 04:35 PM
(22-07-2015 02:01 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Yes, baseball can be boring -- especially when the dumb-ass hitters have to step out of the box after every pitch and re-adjust every single item of clothing. They have cracked down on that a bit this year, but there's still too much of it. Also this business of bringing a different relief pitcher in for each hitter in the late innings. And the designated hitter is an abomination.

But in theory, baseball is perfect.

Big Grin

My ex and I are gonna teach our son how to trash talk during next year's baseball season. Angel He already did that a little bit this year when he played catcher. THATS MY BOY!

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
22-07-2015, 05:16 PM
I remember researching it once out of curiosity. Statistically speaking, cheerleading is one of the more dangerous sports, and both football and baseball are more likely to result in injury than mixed martial arts or boxing. I'll see if I can dig up those stats later when I'm not on my Android. And given the lifestyle that sports in general lead to in regards to fitness and diet, pretty much all of them are safer than playing video games and inhaling Mountain Dew.

Now I'm not gonna say someone shouldn't be a couch potato if they want, but if I'm gonna leave their proven to be hazardous to health occupation alone, I can be expected to react with hostility when they start fucking with combat sports, one of the few pastimes besides actually being in combat that I actually find interesting.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
23-07-2015, 12:03 AM
(22-07-2015 05:16 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Now I'm not gonna say someone shouldn't be a couch potato if they want, but if I'm gonna leave their proven to be hazardous to health occupation alone, I can be expected to react with hostility when they start fucking with combat sports, one of the few pastimes besides actually being in combat that I actually find interesting.

You just like smacking people in the face Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-07-2015, 04:41 AM
(23-07-2015 12:03 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(22-07-2015 05:16 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Now I'm not gonna say someone shouldn't be a couch potato if they want, but if I'm gonna leave their proven to be hazardous to health occupation alone, I can be expected to react with hostility when they start fucking with combat sports, one of the few pastimes besides actually being in combat that I actually find interesting.

You just like smacking people in the face Tongue

Only until they stop smacking back Tongue. Then we shake hands and go have pho.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
23-07-2015, 10:12 AM
I'm a little disturbed by the trend in MMA-related sports, a very "Americanized" type of evolution, adding raw violence as the focus in the sport of martial arts (yes, I know Brazil had a lot to do with it). Having studied Hapkido from a very young age, one of the things I liked about it was that our instructors focused heavily on the philosophy of why to (and more important, not to) fight, and what the inner strength of a warrior is about. This is a common thread throughout Asian martial arts; for instance, Samurai were expected not only to master their weaponry but also their spirit, through discipline and dedication to arts like poetry, Bonsai, etc.

So I agree with both Nurse (about boxing) and with Yak (about the joy of throwing my friends around the mat, and vice-versa, then shaking hands and going for pho).

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson