The Contentious Opinions Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2015, 08:30 PM
RE: The Contentious Opinions Thread
Frank Herbert's Dune is quite probably the absolute worst bit of science fiction ever produced. It may even be worse than FireFly although it is a close race.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
08-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Tattoos are the rage and yet so few actually pull it off. Even the work of the best artists gets old and weird after several decades of your skin sagging and getting liver spots. Lets face it, what might have looked good at 22 looks like a rorscharch test at 62.

Most people will be polite and say “Oh my, nice work”, meanwhile thinking, ‘glad I don’t have to look into the mirror and see that everyday'.

Today I saw a woman that tattooed most of her body, unfortunately non of it was coherent and it was obvious there had been no long term thinking of how the whole gaggle of ink would look together. She looked like graffiti marked alley wall where taggers try to outdo one another.

Another one tattooed leg stocking lines up and down the entire length of her legs. Why not just buy a fucking pair of stockings? I don’t know where those lines finally ended but if she goes to the beach she won’t be fooling anyone.

Dudes get some Maori looking tats because they saw The Rock, Dwayne Johnson, sporting them. The Rock has Samoan heritage and sports bulging muscles, he pulls it off. You, Mr. Everyman, look like a wanna-be with permanent ink screaming to the world look at me! I’m just like The Rock. Unfortunately your tats fit you the same way a kid wears his dad’s XXL shirt, they look awkward and now you’re stuck with them for-fucking-ever. What were you thinking?

For some reason you’ve decided to tattoo some pithy saying or Latin phrase on your skin. Really? John 3:16, Love Conquers All, Fearless. Hopefully at the very least it’s spelled correctly but even if it is I think it looks bizarre. If I want to read something it’ll be a book not your neck.

Skulls, demons, angels, butterflies, tigers, sharks...hearts Rolleyes Yes, you now look more fierce or pretty because of your tat...not.

Your kid’s face on your pec or arm...some of these things look like Jack Nicholson in the Shining coming through the door.

If you were in the Marines and had USMC on your shoulder, fine, that makes some sense to me.

There, I’ve probably offended a bunch of people with that rant but it is my contentious opinion Cool

This, cool
[Image: tatguyexercising.jpg]

This, not
[Image: Helms.jpg]

And if you insist on getting one, remember it’s forever so don’t be cheap

[Image: cheap-tattoos-lion.jpg]

Hope that helps. Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
08-07-2015, 10:22 PM
(08-07-2015 03:34 PM)natachan Wrote:  1) almost all modern music is shit. I don't listen to any music because it's almost all shit. The best music was written prior to 1800.

2) FPS games can kiss my ass. You don't tell a story via text block walls between sets where you simply shoot shit. Gameplay and story are supposed to be integrated, dammit!!

Shooters bad, but to be fair some do have stories. The problem is characters, as many last for a short time and are then forgotten.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
09-07-2015, 06:18 AM
Re: RE: The Contentious Opinions Thread
(08-07-2015 08:20 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Most people getting premium gas are wasting their money. There is no such thing as "treating" your car to premium. That's a bullshit term, and most of the people who use it can't even provide an irrational definition as to what it means. Premium gas isn't more efficient or cleaner. Either your engine benefits from higher octane or it doesn't. Most don't.

Weird contentious opinion to have I suppose, but the conversation seems to come up a lot because I always feel the need to explain shit when I see friends wasting their money on something that provides absolutely no benefit to them.

We got people here who tell everyone how much better premium is. How you get more miles to the gallon on it, how it reduces wear and tear on your vehicle, etc. One guy had it airbrushed across his tailgate. None of them I asked can prove it, or even explain why.
09-07-2015, 06:26 AM
I have never liked Led Zeppelin. I think it had mostly to do with Jimmy Page's production. While I acknowledge they were a great band, I simply don't like the sound the band made.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
09-07-2015, 06:27 AM
Re: RE: The Contentious Opinions Thread
(08-07-2015 10:08 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Tattoos are the rage and yet so few actually pull it off. Even the work of the best artists gets old and weird after several decades of your skin sagging and getting liver spots. Lets face it, what might have looked good at 22 looks like a rorscharch test at 62.

Most people will be polite and say “Oh my, nice work”, meanwhile thinking, ‘glad I don’t have to look into the mirror and see that everyday'.

Today I saw a woman that tattooed most of her body, unfortunately non of it was coherent and it was obvious there had been no long term thinking of how the whole gaggle of ink would look together. She looked like graffiti marked alley wall where taggers try to outdo one another.

Another one tattooed leg stocking lines up and down the entire length of her legs. Why not just buy a fucking pair of stockings? I don’t know where those lines finally ended but if she goes to the beach she won’t be fooling anyone.

Dudes get some Maori looking tats because they saw The Rock, Dwayne Johnson, sporting them. The Rock has Samoan heritage and sports bulging muscles, he pulls it off. You, Mr. Everyman, look like a wanna-be with permanent ink screaming to the world look at me! I’m just like The Rock. Unfortunately your tats fit you the same way a kid wears his dad’s XXL shirt, they look awkward and now you’re stuck with them for-fucking-ever. What were you thinking?

For some reason you’ve decided to tattoo some pithy saying or Latin phrase on your skin. Really? John 3:16, Love Conquers All, Fearless. Hopefully at the very least it’s spelled correctly but even if it is I think it looks bizarre. If I want to read something it’ll be a book not your neck.

Skulls, demons, angels, butterflies, tigers, sharks...hearts Rolleyes Yes, you now look more fierce or pretty because of your tat...not.

Your kid’s face on your pec or arm...some of these things look like Jack Nicholson in the Shining coming through the door.

If you were in the Marines and had USMC on your shoulder, fine, that makes some sense to me.

There, I’ve probably offended a bunch of people with that rant but it is my contentious opinion Cool

This, cool

This, not

See, I should've heard a rant like that when I was younger. I grew up in tattoo silence... and didn't know anybody with one.

Granted, I still would have gotten inked, but maybe I would have thought and made better choices.

I got one at 18 just because it would piss my family off. Then I moved to a huge city, lost my mind, and bam! Lmao... I'm actually planning on a background piece that links my arm tats together, makes it look complete and not disconnected.
[+] 1 user Likes mecanna's post
09-07-2015, 06:34 AM
(08-07-2015 10:08 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Tattoos are the rage and yet so few actually pull it off. Even the work of the best artists gets old and weird after several decades of your skin sagging and getting liver spots. Lets face it, what might have looked good at 22 looks like a rorscharch test at 62.

This, cool

This, not

[img][Image: raspberry_zpsa06674e9.jpg][/img]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
09-07-2015, 06:58 AM
Probably only controversial on guitar and music-related fora but: Beatles vs. Stones, I'll concede the Beatles are the "better" band in most measurable ways but these days 7 out of 10 times I'd rather listen to the Stones.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
09-07-2015, 07:39 AM
... I think the we need to learn to control our population. Sure, we can learn new farming methods, we can do stuff, we can *have* lots of people... but most of those people will live shitty lives and then die. It would be better to have fewer people, control our population and not hammer the Earth for more resources than those people need. Higher standard of living for everyone, just less everyone to have that higher standard of living.

The problem is how... there's two ways I can see:

1. Kill lots of people
- Quick
- We know lots about killing people
- How do you decide who to kill?
- Unlikely to be fun

2. Control reproduction
- Slow
- Harder to implement I think...
- How do you decide who gets to have kids?
- More fun than killing people

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
09-07-2015, 08:12 AM
(09-07-2015 07:39 AM)morondog Wrote:  - How do you decide who to kill?
- Unlikely to be fun

When necessity dictates that it's time, our self proclaimed sense of logic will find a good reason to justify it. It always does. And don't knock it til you tried it Tongue

Also bullets are cheaper than social programs. We just need to get away from using multi million dollar a shot smart weapons and get back to good old fashioned face to face brutality. Again, necessity will dictate when this actually happens, because nobody is gonna give up the resource intensive weapons until said resources are no longer available.

'Murican Canadian