The Contentious Opinions Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2015, 06:57 PM
RE: The Contentious Opinions Thread
(19-07-2015 07:31 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't like to sound sexist about it, I guess I just like the deeper voices...Stevie Nicks, Natalie Merchant, Annie Lennox...those I like.

Natalie's a great singer, and Annie's criminally underrated -- other female vox I love:

Anita Baker got overshadowed by Whitney Houston, but I think is easily as talented, and much more tasteful:

Technically leaves a bit to be desired, but goddamn, the girl had pipes:

Perhaps my favorite female vocal ever -- this one performance justifies her inclusion on any list of great female singers:

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Love Janis too. She could sure belt out a song. But I do have to be in the right mood to listen to her. I listened to her a lot when I was younger.

Annie Lennox is freaking amazing.

Natalie Merchant isn't as good now as she was when she was younger. I love her stuff with 10,000 Maniacs and her solo 'Tiger Lily'. Great lyrics, great voice.

I still keep hoping I will grow up to be Stevie Nicks though. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Yabut, how about:

and:

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-07-2015, 08:06 AM
I never want to have kids of my own, I'm quite happy remaining an auntie to my two nephews and my niece. Don't get me wrong, I love them to bits but I'm eternally glad they're not MY kids.

Some people seem to think that I'll change my mind when I get older which is odd considering I'm already 34. I've never wanted kids and thankfully, neither does my husband. People seem to think because we're married, the next step to start popping out babies but I sincerely hope it never happens.
22-07-2015, 09:19 AM
I have always preferred female vocalists to males. All of the following can turn me to butter:

Billie Holiday
Barbra Streisand
Linda Ronstadt
Joni Mitchell
Carly Simon
Carole King
Tammy Wynette
Emmy Lou Harris
Alison Krauss
Patty Loveless
Patricia Barber
Cassandra Wilson
Tierney Sutton
k. d. lang
Colbie Caillat

Sorry, no videos. I'm technologically challenged.Blush
22-07-2015, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2015 10:12 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Tori Amos is my favorite voice, period. And I'm becoming increasingly a fan of the (odd but awesome) voice and writing of Sia, from Australia.

One of my favorite Tori songs, "Spark", about her sorrow over her miscarriage. Great lyrics: "If the Divine Master's Plan is perfection, maybe next I'll give Judas a try."

Tori also writes quite a bit of anti-religion stuff. Not a favorite song, but a good one:

"God"

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
22-07-2015, 11:01 AM
OK, I will post one video -- because someone said they didn't like Joni Mitchell's singing. The young Joni could be a bit shrill at times, but not always. This song is not shrill, and gives me goose bumps:

[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
22-07-2015, 11:49 AM
Yay, Joni Mitchell. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
22-07-2015, 01:00 PM
This thread has become entirely too agreeable, so here is an attempt to make it contentious again:

Although I love a good boxing match, it is at best a guilty pleasure. Any sport in which the object is to injure your opponent should be illegal.

I have no strong feelings one way or the other about bottled water, but those people arguing about it over in another sub-forum should bring it over here.

Although there is much inanity in the Bible, there is also much great literature. After wallowing through Leviticus and Numbers (boring boring boring), I am revisiting Genesis and Exodus, and there are a lot of great stories in those 2 books.

Baseball is the greatest sport. NASCAR and hockey and soccer and golf are all boring boring boring, football and boxing are brutal, and basketball has way too much scoring. Baseball is perfect.
22-07-2015, 01:32 PM
(22-07-2015 01:00 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Any sport in which the object is to injure your opponent should be illegal.

Any sport in which the object is not to injure your opponent is for children and old ladies Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post