The Coping Mechanism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2015, 03:53 AM
The Coping Mechanism
Hi guys. A close friend of mine works in the police force. He works for CID. He deals a lot with Rape, Murder, child abuse etc.. Really horrid stuff.

We were discussion religion the other day and I put forth my views. He said he had faith... I then checked myself before I went any further and changed the subject.

Normally I go straight in and argue to the death but this time it was a little different.

Considering what this man sees on a daily basis, the side of humanity he deals with on a daily basis... Is his faith getting him through this? Is it just a coping mechanism? Is shooting his faith down the right thing to do in these circumstances?

Should the job he does have the opposite affect and strip him of any faith he might have? After all he deals with more remorseless and depraved people than we would ever hope to encounter.

For me it would be the latter. But I can't even imagine being in his shoes so its easy for me to say what I might feel.

Anyone here had similar experiences with people? Maybe you have a similar job to my friend and would like to weigh in?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2015, 05:23 AM
RE: The Coping Mechanism
And do you really want to piss off a guy you KNOW is carrying a gun???

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
11-05-2015, 05:31 AM
(11-05-2015 05:23 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And do you really want to piss off a guy you KNOW is carrying a gun???

Big Grin

Ah here in the UK they carry no guns lol. Maybe he could plant some drugs in my bag instead lol
11-05-2015, 05:36 AM
Pretty much kidding about the gun anyway....

I think it's pretty safe to say your friend would be just as resilient without any "faith" as he is with.

Always remember - with "faith" you're talking about the placebo effect --- not real pharmaceuticals.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
11-05-2015, 05:52 AM
I have a friend who is an older lady - if I stripped her faith away, she would collapse. It is what props her up and allows her to cope - and at her age, it would be like pulling the carpet out from under her. So I let it be...

Sometimes it is not the kind thing to strip someone's faith, and it really serves no purpose to do so. It is important mostly for the young, so we get a generation of young atheists. That is all it takes to change the direction of society in the course of a couple generations, and you won't be able to change things any faster than that anyway.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
11-05-2015, 05:57 AM
Faith = Pretending to know things you do not know.

Pretending to know things you don't know is never a good thing, with that being said, I don't think it's necessary to take everybody's favorite comfort blanket away from them. For me it really depends on how much they start proselytizing me to the degree that I return the favor.

For people in his situation I think it might be beneficial though to NOT have faith in something that isn't real. He can help educate people in what really DOES work. "Take control of your life, because this is the only one you have, and you're the only one who can change it. etc..." compared to thinking there is someone in charge of everything and a reason behind the stuff that he has to see.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
11-05-2015, 06:21 AM
honestly, in that job I would want someone who relies on evidence.

Many professions deal with trauma and the scum of the earth, Doctors, nurses, medics, counselors, prison guards. I think its imperative those professions use tools and theories based on facts/science.

I understand what you are saying, he usues it to cope, but maybe a book of psychiatric disorders and how they manifest would educate him about the hows and why people can be so cruel.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
11-05-2015, 06:55 AM
Yeah that's the line I was gonna take with him, I was going to ask how he could be regarded as credible in the courtroom when he is prepared to accept myth and magic as fact without evidence.

It is a major concern of mine how people with faith are allowed to have high authority positions with high responsibility when they clearly cannot make rational decisions.
11-05-2015, 07:04 AM
many are good at compartmentalizing.

Its how in America we blather on about Jesus, Jesus, Jesus and continue to cut programs to feed and care for the homeless, elderly, children and others.

Their religion doesnt cross the line into action, it stays tucked away in their special little box in their brain.

Maybe Bucky or someone else can explain better. I just end up getting pissed off at people that behave that way, lol.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller