The Cosmological Arguments Haven't Been Debunked

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2017, 06:12 AM
RE: The Cosmological Arguments Haven't Been Debunked
(06-02-2017 11:57 AM)Naielis Wrote:  
(06-02-2017 11:52 AM)Ace Wrote:  listen reason and logic won't help you prove anything exists unless you have hard evidence to back it up and arguments don't qualify as evidence

So if I wrote a mathematical proof showing that 0.99... repeating on forever is equal to 1, would you not believe me until I showed it with physical evidence? Your standard seems to be empiricism. But empiricism is subservient to a priori deductive arguments.

You're equivocating the abstract and the concrete.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-02-2017, 06:19 AM
(06-02-2017 12:27 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(06-02-2017 12:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Answer the question. Why is the question relevant to how anyone lives today, or the choices they make, or anything they do ?

Well to answer the question I needed to know what goal you had in mind. I was wondering what you meant by relevant. You just told me so I can answer now. Truth isn't necessarily relevant to anyone's day to day choices. But that's a pragmatist standard to which I do not hold. Truth is relevant to me. If there's a god, I want to know. If there isn't, I want to know. Reality is fascinating. That's enough for me to consider it relevant.

If you want to know about reality, ought you not investigate reality?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
07-02-2017, 06:21 AM
Fantastic. Just watched it right through. An amazing CAS/BAI all-weather fighter/bomber? Yesplease! Tough bird. Thank you for posting that video. Smile

CAS = Close Air Support (shooting the guys trying to shoot your troops, particularly tanks and other major dangers like concentrations of troops, often when the enemy unit is in contact with friendly units)
BAI = Battlefield Air Interdiction (attacks against depots and supply lines, artillery positions, and other support for the forward edge of the battlefield, a couple of miles beyond... takes pressure off speed at which enemy army can support its advance)

It is a reason I considered flying the F/A-18 for the USN, but eventually preferred Colorado Springs to Annapolis. Because A-10.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
07-02-2017, 06:49 AM
(07-02-2017 06:12 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  You're equivocating the abstract and the concrete.

[Image: freshpaint-abstract-geometric-background...ncrete.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 10 users Like Banjo's post
07-02-2017, 06:54 AM
(06-02-2017 11:46 AM)Naielis Wrote:  No one is reasoning things into existence. We are using our reasoning to determine whether something exists.
Fideism is unjustified nonsense.

So, believing without evidence is unjustified but "reasoning" without evidence is a viable path to truth? And you honestly don't see that as a contradiction?
Facepalm

(not that I really wanted to get this thread back on track; the fighter jet discussion is at least based in reality and not pure speculation)

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
07-02-2017, 07:04 AM
(07-02-2017 06:21 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Because A-10.

I know this is entirely off-topic, but...

there are fewer sounds more heartening to allies and more terrifying to enemies than the whistling of an A-10 inbound, followed by the BRRRRRRRT! of the gattling gun.

Happy Brrrt Day!

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress...
[+] 5 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
07-02-2017, 07:10 AM

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
07-02-2017, 07:55 AM
(07-02-2017 07:04 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(07-02-2017 06:21 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Because A-10.

I know this is entirely off-topic, but...

there are fewer sounds more heartening to allies and more terrifying to enemies than the whistling of an A-10 inbound, followed by the BRRRRRRRT! of the gattling gun.

Happy Brrrt Day!

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress...

[Image: a9a.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
07-02-2017, 08:43 AM
(06-02-2017 11:57 AM)Naielis Wrote:  But empiricism is subservient to a priori deductive arguments.

You wish. Not because you declare it so, Your Holiness.
Deductive arguments are only correct if the premises are (totally) correct.
It's easy to miss or state incorrectly a premise or employ unexamined assumptions.
Empirical evidence is not subject to those kinds of errors.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-02-2017, 08:56 AM
(06-02-2017 03:42 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(06-02-2017 03:38 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Why is it that me arguing for something means I'm unwilling to give it up if it were shown to be false?

Because it's already been shown to be false, over and over and over again.

This is at least the second thread you've gone down the "this argument hasn't been debunked" path, and each time you've been shown, with references and resources, that yes, it has been debunked. (I will grant you that if you're at school while these conversations are taking place you may not have time to review all the resources.)

Again, to re-iterate, there may be some evidence for deism, somewhere, but the cosmological argument isn't it.

The fact that you think something has been shown to be false doesn't mean it is so or that everyone agrees it is so. By the way, when I say deism in my bio, I use the term loosely. I think you can show that the first cause is a mind. I don't necessarily believe it's divine.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam