The Cosmological Arguments Haven't Been Debunked

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2017, 02:14 PM
RE: The Cosmological Arguments Haven't Been Debunked
Hey kid.

Take the time to watch this. Then get back to us.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
07-02-2017, 02:16 PM
(07-02-2017 01:46 PM)Naielis Wrote:  You have to be able to justify the reliability of your senses if your entire worldview relies upon that reliability.

No I don't. Why should I have to do that? When offered a choice between completeness and consistency which do you choose?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
07-02-2017, 02:16 PM
(07-02-2017 02:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-02-2017 01:57 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Your arguments are wrong, Naielis.

You cannot get around this.

Why are they wrong? is the question. I would argue that they are valid but unsound. The rules of inference are used properly but the premises are neither self-evident nor incontrovertible. In fact they're rather silly. This is where a lot of theistic arguments find themselves confused, they mistake validity for soundness. Validity is just a matter of proper syntax and being grammatically correct. Doesn't say anything about whether the premises are consistent with observation or not.

I understand the difference between the validity of an argument and the truth of conclusion. But I'm not convinced that the premises are silly.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
07-02-2017, 02:18 PM
(07-02-2017 02:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-02-2017 01:46 PM)Naielis Wrote:  You have to be able to justify the reliability of your senses if your entire worldview relies upon that reliability.

No I don't. Why should I have to do that? When offered a choice between completeness and consistency which do you choose?

So you think there are instances in which we can make assumptions for the sake of consistency? I don't see how having completeness implies a lack of consistency.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
07-02-2017, 02:19 PM
(07-02-2017 02:14 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Hey kid.

Already seen it.

07-02-2017, 02:19 PM
At work.

(07-02-2017 02:12 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(07-02-2017 02:10 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I'm feeling very much ignored over here.

Sorry I'm at school right now and I'm trying to type out full responses to your posts. I like that you are willing to engage the arguments more than some others.

HA! At work.

Tongue
07-02-2017, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2017 02:27 PM by GirlyMan.)
(07-02-2017 02:18 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(07-02-2017 02:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  No I don't. Why should I have to do that? When offered a choice between completeness and consistency which do you choose?

So you think there are instances in which we can make assumptions for the sake of consistency?

I do it all the time. I think we all do. i think we have to. If we didn't we'd all be catatonic like a deer caught in the headlights.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-02-2017, 02:24 PM
At work.

(07-02-2017 02:19 PM)Naielis Wrote:  

Already seen it.

Thumbsup

So, when time permits, your thoughts on above?

Cheers! Smile
07-02-2017, 02:24 PM
(07-02-2017 02:19 PM)Naielis Wrote:  

Already seen it.

Watch it again and again until you understand.

I am serious. As a professional musician I have had to study music I did not understand or even like. However with time, I got both.

I am not judging you. You are young and there is much to learn. However, the cosmological argument is long out of date. Notice it does not even attempt to show which god it represents?

One may as well talk about Zeus' daddy issues.

This thread is a total waste of time.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
07-02-2017, 02:25 PM
(07-02-2017 02:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-02-2017 02:18 PM)Naielis Wrote:  So you think there are instances in which we can make assumptions for the sake of consistency?

I do it all the time. I think we all do.

I agree, but do you think there is a way in which we can justify our senses? And if not, do you think we can justify our lack of justification. In other words, does every belief require justification? It seems this is relevant because this trust in our senses is foundational to almost every worldview.