The Cosmological Arguments Haven't Been Debunked

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2017, 11:41 PM
RE: The Cosmological Arguments Haven't Been Debunked
(12-02-2017 09:59 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I've been shown that every cosmological argument begs the question. They assume the metaphysic of contingency thet attempts to prove.

Well, close. It's more that every cosmological argument individually merely commits the fallacy of bare assertion, while in practice and as a whole, most individuals attempting to present one cosmological argument just cite other cosmological arguments which assert the same thing. That's when begging the question comes in.

But good on you all the same. It is depressingly rare that any of the discussions here actually have someone on the other end who is willing to learn about this kind of thing.

Keep it up.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Unbeliever's post
02-03-2017, 11:51 AM
(06-02-2017 09:41 AM)Naielis Wrote:  Many atheists I have interacted with have claimed that the cosmological arguments for God have all been debunked for years. The goal of this thread is to explain exactly why this claim is false. Let's begin with some of the basic cosmological arguments that many apologists use.

Argument from Contingency

It is over complicated. Be more simple.

1) The building has builder, 2) the painting has painter, 3) the Creation has Creator.
02-03-2017, 11:57 AM
(02-03-2017 11:51 AM)theBorg Wrote:  It is over complicated. Be more simple.

There is no god.

Simple enough?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
02-03-2017, 12:07 PM
(02-03-2017 11:51 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(06-02-2017 09:41 AM)Naielis Wrote:  Many atheists I have interacted with have claimed that the cosmological arguments for God have all been debunked for years. The goal of this thread is to explain exactly why this claim is false. Let's begin with some of the basic cosmological arguments that many apologists use.

Argument from Contingency

It is over complicated. Be more simple.

1) The building has builder, 2) the painting has painter, 3) the Creation has Creator.

We observe a world/universe -- that is all. There is no evidence that it is a "creation" -- therefore no reason to invoke a creator. That's simple enough for me.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
02-03-2017, 12:09 PM

What about the snowflake?
02-03-2017, 12:36 PM
(02-03-2017 12:09 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  

What about the snowflake?
The snowflake has a snowflaker, right?

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]