The Cost of Cheap Clothing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Much in the news recently has been about the not only poor but hazardous conditions garment workers face in both Bangladesh and Pakistan. This can be directly related to the developed world's demand for cheap clothing and the suppliers desire to maximize profits.

One cannot avoid the fact that suppliers will always try to maximize profits but one can make an effort to buy clothes made in more developed countries in factories that are less likely to put workers at such a high state of risk.

Yes it will cost one more money and for the most part one will need to find suppliers on the internet. Also garment workers even in developed countries are at the low end of the pay scale, but few are at risk of death at work.

It must also be said that avoiding clothes from certain countries would dramatically affect the garment workers in those countries.

I would point out that from what I have read large retailers and suppliers attempts to change the risk to low paid garment workers in 3rd world countries have to date been not only consciously ineffectual but in some cases have been outright lies.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2013, 04:44 PM
RE: The Cost of Cheap Clothing
The "american" ford you buy is only painted here, and MAYBE assembled here, but has it's electronics assembled in X country, it's metal components forged in Y country. The point is it's almost impossible to buy complicated things supposedly "made in America". But even with a simple T-shirt, you don't think a multinational corporation could label something as having been made safely, in a country that you know has decent labor laws, but be bullshitting you where it came from? I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it wouldn't suprise me if one, in the name of profits, did just that! What are we gonna do, though? Sentence CEO's we catch to work in those very factories? Consider I'd watch that before UnderCover Boss Big Grin

11-05-2013, 05:51 PM
(11-05-2013 04:31 PM)JAH Wrote:  Much in the news recently has been about the not only poor but hazardous conditions garment workers face in both Bangladesh and Pakistan. This can be directly related to the developed world's demand for cheap clothing and the suppliers desire to maximize profits.

One cannot avoid the fact that suppliers will always try to maximize profits but one can make an effort to buy clothes made in more developed countries in factories that are less likely to put workers at such a high state of risk.

Yes it will cost one more money and for the most part one will need to find suppliers on the internet. Also garment workers even in developed countries are at the low end of the pay scale, but few are at risk of death at work.

It must also be said that avoiding clothes from certain countries would dramatically affect the garment workers in those countries.

I would point out that from what I have read large retailers and suppliers attempts to change the risk to low paid garment workers in 3rd world countries have to date been not only consciously ineffectual but in some cases have been outright lies.

It's funny how people on this website will quickly turn a blind eye to any and all issues that could implicate their country in mass murder, oppression and exploitation......AND they like most, demonize people who point out these issues.
13-05-2013, 05:37 PM
(11-05-2013 05:51 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 04:31 PM)JAH Wrote:  Much in the news recently has been about the not only poor but hazardous conditions garment workers face in both Bangladesh and Pakistan. This can be directly related to the developed world's demand for cheap clothing and the suppliers desire to maximize profits.

It's funny how people on this website will quickly turn a blind eye to any and all issues that could implicate their country in mass murder, oppression and exploitation......AND they like most, demonize people who point out these issues.

This website? Are you sure? Not another one you're mistaking for us? 100% positive? Huh. Funny cause I don't see any of that.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 2 users Like Hamata k's post
13-05-2013, 08:26 PM

Hmmm ... Consider ... does it make a difference if I buy all my clothes secondhand from a thrift store? I will only buy used clothes ('cept for socks and skivvies ... ewwww) because they are far more comfortable after some other fat slob has already broken them in. Last time I bought new clothes was over a decade ago and I had to wash 'em like 10 times before I could wear them. So does it make a difference what brand I buy if someone else has already previously purchased it?

Breathing - it's more art than science.