The Creationist Museum Is Failing, And Ken Ham Is Blaming Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2017, 04:28 AM
RE: The Creationist Museum Is Failing, And Ken Ham Is Blaming Atheists
As a serious note on this:

is there a mathematical formula you can apply to see if this would float or not? Based off of the design schematics? I've read it wouldn't float, and in fairness I understand this is true, just wondering if there is any solid math behind that to back it up.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2017, 04:50 AM
RE: Ark encounter sold to.......themselves.... for 10 bucks.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
25-07-2017, 05:22 AM
(25-07-2017 04:28 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  As a serious note on this:

is there a mathematical formula you can apply to see if this would float or not? Based off of the design schematics? I've read it wouldn't float, and in fairness I understand this is true, just wondering if there is any solid math behind that to back it up.

I Built Noah’s $100 Million Ark

Quote:Dumb question . . . but does it float?
No, we built it specifically not to float.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
25-07-2017, 05:34 AM
How can a master builder like this guy, believe THIS:

Quote: But according to the Bible’s account, people lived four, five, six, 700 years before the flood. We don’t know how much knowledge they had. Basically, it was all destroyed.

If you follow that line of thinking, some scientists who believe that line of thinking, they believe it’s possible. Some scientists think they may have been more advanced before the flood than we are today.

Surely no legitimate scientist believes in the flood story at all? Gasp

25-07-2017, 05:42 AM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2017 05:48 AM by Deesse23.)
what you basically need to know is two things.

#1 center of mass
#2 center of buoyancy

[Image: stability-ship.gif]

For being seaworthy (in principle) the center of mass needs to be below the center of buoyancy. If so, the ship will experience a force to upright itself once shaken by waves (from either side). If the ship is able to upright itself its basically seaworthy.
If the center of mass is above the center of buoyancy then the whip will automatically capsize (its inherently unstable).

A mistake they probably made (the first and biggest mistake an amatuer would do) is to evenly/randomly distribute mass across the ship, putting the center of mass too high. You should put all heavy stuff deep inside the ship to make it more stable.

You dont have too much influence on the center of buoyancy if you design a ship with basic naval shape (if you arent utterly stupid). Looking from the outside i would say, this thing looks remotely like a ship, and has the proper proportions (in general) to give it a somehwat sensible center of buoyancy. I am saying this ultra-quick-and--dirty without pulling any numbers! So please have some grains of salt ready.

Where and how did Kens people distribute the weight? I would bet a paycheck they didnt pay attention, since they never intented to get this thing afloat. So, probably its a kind of evenly (statistically) distributed weight. This most probably has resulted in a center of gravity too high, resulting in inherent instability.

In shipbuilding (like in any field of engineering) everything comes at a price:
You either build a ship with a high separation of the two centers, which results in a (speaking in vectors) high force to upright itself but making everyone very, very seasick.
If you put both centers close together, you will have a ship that uprights itself slowly but noone will be seasick.

Evidence:
[Image: ark-layout.jpg]

Placing all fluid (ballast!) tanks in the side and animal shelters in the center (from top deck down to keel) will possibly exactly result in such an instability of the ark, not being able to upright itslef in (heavy) sea. Knowledgable shipbuilders put all tanks in the lower decks, since the average density (per volume) of a compartment with fluid (or solid food or waste) is much higher than a "cabin" wiht an inhabitant, which is basically 90% air.
Having compartmetns being "empty" so deep in the ship and having compartments full of fluid in upper decks shows that someone wasnt a particularly experienced shipbuilder

stability would get even worse, if they start to use the water tanks deep inside the ship first, bringing the center of mass furhter up.

They should have read more books about engineering instead of reading the same book over and over and over again.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
25-07-2017, 05:48 AM
Awesome thank you deese.

I'll see if I can find the supposed measurements of the thing they've built (did they have rough numbers in the bible for how big it was?), and work out if it's sea-worthy. I think the main point is, that if you prove to somebody [theists] mathematically that a ship of that size would not float, or at least it'd have to be completely re-designed in such a way that it would, if that were possible, then you're most of the way there when debating with people. Obviously let alone the archaeological evidence to back up that it just 100% did not happen at all, but the more evidence the better.

25-07-2017, 05:56 AM
Afaik there were numbers in the bible for lenght, width and height.
Calculating both centers (mass and buoyancy) is however not easy. Good luck in finding some calculator or table that gives somewhat accurate numbers based on rough proportions only. No

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
25-07-2017, 07:53 AM
(25-07-2017 05:22 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I Built Noah’s $100 Million Ark

Quote:We ended up reaching out to the Amish community, asking them to help us. We had Amish people from 15 different communities–Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois, Tennessee, Wisconsin . .

So they had an ark-raising instead of a barn raising Laugh out load

Quote:It grew out of our work in Nazareth, Israel, from 1995 to 2000. We helped envision a plan for a first century village in Jesus’s hometown 500 meters [or 1,640 feet] from where he grew up.

I'd love to know how they decided where the exact spot was that Jesus grew up so they could build 500 meters away from there.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
25-07-2017, 09:14 AM
(25-07-2017 05:22 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I Built Noah’s $100 Million Ark

Quote:Dumb question . . . but does it float?
No, we built it specifically not to float.
Another telling quote.
Quote:We did talk to the client, and they thought they had to build with steel and cover it with wood–I said we could do it with wood.
So the builder had more "faith" than the client (Answers in Genesis) that it could be built using the materials Noah would have (nominally) had at his disposal. Of course it had to have "good fiber" as the builder put it, meaning, probably higher and more uniform quality of wood and milling / planing than Noah could have pulled off. But at least he avoided steel, which AIG would have contented itself with.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
25-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Too lazy to look the exact sources up but wooden ships are limited by the strength of wood to a relatively small size. You have to build the vessel so it doesn't break when the prow and stern are atop swells spaced the length of the ship apart (thereby supporting the weight of the ship only at its ends with little support at the center). From what I understand, even if the ship were a solid block of wood, beyond a certain size it would would fracture. The largest wooden vessel ever floated had a hull length of about 350 feet, 150 feet shorter than Ham's ark.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post