The Creepiness of Google

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2014, 07:52 PM
The Creepiness of Google
So I knew that Google knew everything, but I didn't quite realize just how much of everything it knows until today. A few days ago I visited stevemadden.com to look at shoes. Immediately after I left the site, I started seeing ads for Steve Madden on every single site I went to. It had specific shoes shown and out of curiosity I went back to stevemadden.com and looked at a few different pairs than Google was showing me. Sure enough, as soon as I left the site, the shoes switched to the ones I had just been looking at.

Out of frustration, I clicked the little "x" on the ad to get rid of it and then I found my Ad settings for Google, none of which I had ever filled out myself. Google, however, had. It had managed to, based on my Google searches and websites visit, correctly figure out my age and interests. It was scary how accurate my interests were. The only thing it messed up was that it for some strange reason thought I knew English and German, though that's probably due to a few weeks where I spent a lot of time online trying to learn German last year.

Between your Google searches, websites visited, YouTube history and any Google accounts you have, it's scary how much information Google has on everyone on the internet . . .
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2014, 08:09 PM
RE: The Creepiness of Google
Even creepier is that people buy things that google sends them adds for through consumer analasys done through voyeurism.

Otherwise this wouldnt exist.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
07-01-2014, 08:10 PM
(07-01-2014 07:52 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  So I knew that Google knew everything, but I didn't quite realize just how much of everything it knows until today. A few days ago I visited stevemadden.com to look at shoes. Immediately after I left the site, I started seeing ads for Steve Madden on every single site I went to. It had specific shoes shown and out of curiosity I went back to stevemadden.com and looked at a few different pairs than Google was showing me. Sure enough, as soon as I left the site, the shoes switched to the ones I had just been looking at.

Out of frustration, I clicked the little "x" on the ad to get rid of it and then I found my Ad settings for Google, none of which I had ever filled out myself. Google, however, had. It had managed to, based on my Google searches and websites visit, correctly figure out my age and interests. It was scary how accurate my interests were. The only thing it messed up was that it for some strange reason thought I knew English and German, though that's probably due to a few weeks where I spent a lot of time online trying to learn German last year.

Between your Google searches, websites visited, YouTube history and any Google accounts you have, it's scary how much information Google has on everyone on the internet . . .

It called cookies!

Use this!

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
[+] 1 user Likes Crulax's post
07-01-2014, 08:16 PM
(07-01-2014 08:10 PM)Crulax Wrote:  It called cookies!

coookiiieees

Drooling

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
07-01-2014, 08:20 PM
How do you check your google ad settings?

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
07-01-2014, 08:21 PM
I've noticed this too. After viewing items on amazon, I see adds for that stuff everywhere!
07-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Always delete cookies. Always.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
07-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Block the website "googleapis.com".

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
07-01-2014, 08:56 PM
I found my settings and I must say it's enlightening. I say leave them on, let google make you psychological data collection for you Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
07-01-2014, 10:30 PM
(07-01-2014 08:20 PM)nach_in Wrote:  How do you check your google ad settings?

Here ya go!

What I find funny is that Google tries to tell you that they do this so that the ads can be more helpful to you and so that you can find things you like, but really what they mean is "we track your data so that we can make more money for ourselves and the companies that give us money."

EDIT: Oops...didn't see your last post. And here I was thinking I was being useful and stuff. . .
[+] 4 users Like southernbelle's post