The Curious Duckling (a short story of sorts)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2012, 12:11 PM
The Curious Duckling (a short story of sorts)
http://theunconverted.com/the-curious-duckling/

This really happened to me a couple of days ago, and it shook me to my core for some reason (but in a good way).

Let me know what you all think.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2012, 08:01 PM
RE: The Curious Duckling (a short story of sorts)
I don't see the connection between the curious duckling and theology. I hope I'm not sounding critical or mean here, but this feels like such a non sequitar.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2012, 08:12 PM
What you have witnessed is "determinism". A species has survived (evolved) by taking care of others in the group even at the risk of one's own life. All social species from ants to humans have this trait. This instinct is purely emotional. We got here because...
The mother duck just has to see to the duckling not following like the rest. She simply has no choice. She is programmed. So are humans.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
07-06-2012, 09:00 PM
It is a good read and how you described it...

But I think the lesson that can be derived is more on discussing Synergy, Community….

Since ducks are related to geese, it may have to do as well with the V-Formation of flying geese… what happens when there is a fallen comrade.

• By flying in "V " formation, the whole flock adds at least 71% greater flying range than if each

• Whenever a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go it alone and quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front.

• When the lead goose gets tired, he rotates back in the wing and another goose flies point.

• Finally, when a goose gets sick, or is wounded by gunshot, and falls out, two geese fall out of formation and follow him down to help and protect him. They stay with him until he is either able to fly or until he is dead, and then they launch out on their own or with another formation until they catch up with their group.

http://theleadership.wordpress.com/2006/...formation/
[+] 1 user Likes ahoy's post
07-06-2012, 09:35 PM
@starcrach - Thanks for the feedback. It's much appreciated. I'm trying to return to my literature roots and go for more subtle atheistic themes but there's a fine line between subtle and non-existent, and your feedback will help strike a better balance.

The connection with theism is the fact that humans (including myself for most of my life) often allow the raw emotion of an experience fool them into thinking that they are experiencing something divine or supernatural even though perfectly natural explanations are available.

@Thomas - interesting hypothesis

@ahoy - thanks for sharing that info. You learn something new every day (when you adhere to scientific inquiry)

Had I experienced this a decade ago or so ago, I'd of been telling folks about the spirituality of that mother and sibling duck.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted