The Daily Show Discussion with Us, if you like so.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Tongue The Daily Show Discussion with Us, if you like so.
As the first post of this thread, I want to say that I really like The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. I'd like to exchange opinions and information with like-minded folks. It's also OK if different opinions and information appears, as long as it entertaining. This is the Entertainment Section, right?

So, let's get started.

Want something? Then do something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2013, 06:52 AM
RE: The Daily Show Discussion with Us, if you like so.
【04.16.2013 The Daily Show】

A show topic: Taxes on cigarettes, soft drinks and guns were used to support education, health care and public security.

My opinion: I don't think this hurt the 'poor'. And it sounds reasonable to me.

18-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Agreed. It fits with Management best practices...

The are three ways to incentivise i.e. influence behaviour and demand:
Social
Moral
Economic (pricing, financial rewards / penalties).

The flip side is that it's the nanny state telling us what is good for us and removes personal freedoms (in this case the freedom to harm ourselves).

18-04-2013, 10:57 AM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2013 11:01 AM by Revenant77x.)
(18-04-2013 06:45 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  As the first post of this thread, I want to say that I really like The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. I'd like to exchange opinions and information with like-minded folks. It's also OK if different opinions and information appears, as long as it entertaining. This is the Entertainment Section, right?

So, let's get started.

Love the daily show. I try to catch every episode. But I think it's most important function these days is as a media watchdog. No one is better at calling out the other news stations BS. Check out this clip from 4-17-2013

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-ap...-and-first
The sad thing is the news media needs the Daily show to keep them honest. Edward R Murrow is rolling in his grave.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
18-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Jon Stewart is kind of a bitch. He does, however, especially with his show, fill a nice void.

(18-04-2013 06:52 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  【04.16.2013 The Daily Show】

A show topic: Taxes on cigarettes, soft drinks and guns were used to support education, health care and public security.

My opinion: I don't think this hurt the 'poor'. And it sounds reasonable to me.

I really don't even know what to say about that.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
19-04-2013, 05:19 AM
(18-04-2013 03:56 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  Jon Stewart is kind of a bitch. He does, however, especially with his show, fill a nice void.

I really don't even know what to say about that.

If you feel there's a void filled and it was like "holy [beep], I never thought of that before", I wish you to share this 'wow' experience with me and others in this thread, which was what I intended.

19-04-2013, 06:34 AM
Rev77's right. Jon is just about the only guy on basic cable that cries bullshit when "news" stations shit it out! But even better, unlike poor Dan Rather, since The Daily Show is considered "comedy", Jon doesn't have to worry about losing his job over calling someone out on their bullshit!!! Daily Show, and Real Time w/ Bill Maher are the only 2 talk shows I watch. Colbert Report is nice, but I just watch it ACTUALLY for the comedy Smile The Daily Show is awesome, & Jon Stewart ROCKS!!

19-04-2013, 06:42 AM
I also watch him and Colbert when possible. I don't get Maher on satellite. Wish I did. There is so little good stuff on TV.

Wish I could find the Stewart episode from a few years ago where he explains how the internet isn't working right because it is clogged up with poker chips. It totally had me in stitches. Funniest thing I ever saw.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Here it is:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-ju...rty-pooper

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-04-2013, 10:03 AM
【The Daily Show 04.18.2013】

Gun Control Whoop-de-doo
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-ap...oop-de-doo

"In real world with human beings, gun control isn't going to work." And therefore don't bother making such laws?

"So unless we can completely get rid of drug, there's no point of having drug laws at all?"

No, I refuse to believe pro-gun people take that stupid logic. I used my ability of reasoning and imagining, and I got this made-up conversation with a fictive elder and caring gentleman, Mr. Respectable.

Mr. Respectable: Junyuan, kid, it should be easy for you and your people to understand why we need guns. Didn't your Chairman Mao speak out the truth that political power grows out of the barrel of a gun? Gun provides part of the strength we need to keep us safe.

I: Why can't we trust our safety issues to the police and the judiciary system?

Mr. Respectable: Kid, you were never in difficult situations your Chairman Mao was in, so you don't understand the importance of having the strength to keep you safe. Real world respect comes from your ability, or to be more precise, your potential to hurt others, especially financially and physically. The same is also true for nations. Getting a gun is just the beginning. If you could show your skill and determination to kill, professional burglars or even robbers can be scared away. Didn't you feel the strength just from those words? But of course, we should abide by and advocate the laws when they are in our favor.

I: Hurt others? Strength? No, noway. How hypocritical you are !

Mr. Respectable: Hypocritical? No, I am not. Kid, you just didn't experience enough to understand the power of money and relations with other powerful people. In everyday lives, this power doesn't reveal itself. But in critical moments ... kid, you are still too sweet for this bitter world.

Does the imaginary conversation make any sense?