The Dark Tower

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2017, 06:12 AM
RE: The Dark Tower
(11-07-2017 02:46 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  The Dark Tower movie is out in August isn't it?

I've only read the first book of the series, and found it to be "good" although it's hard work to get into at times. Will read on, and look forward to the movie as well Smile

Yes, Aug 4th. Thumbsup

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
11-07-2017, 06:20 AM
(11-07-2017 05:35 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 05:27 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  IT was the last King I tried to read.
Tried? oh dear Laugh out load How far did you get?

I did enjoy it, and a friend had even said "this was during his Cocaine issues, so you soon notice when it gets bad", and I'd nearly finished it thinking 'Hmm...I haven't seen anything that bad yet..', when the last 2-3 chapters just go off the scale of "What in the blue hell is this?" .

It'll be interesting to see what is included in the new movie of IT, as a fair ammount didn't make it into the original 2 part TV movie with Tim Curry, and could potentially be scary as shite. But that last section....I'm not sure it can be done on film. Not because it's too violent, because it's just mental.
I remember some mundane object, playground equipment?, turning into something scary. I put the book down at that point went outside.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-07-2017, 06:43 AM
I thought "Misery" was a good King adaptation. His books in particular suffer in translation in large part because his strong point as a writer is not plotline, but characterization, which is much harder to convey without access to inner dialogue and 3PO PoV.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
11-07-2017, 07:07 AM
(11-07-2017 06:12 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 02:46 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  The Dark Tower movie is out in August isn't it?

I've only read the first book of the series, and found it to be "good" although it's hard work to get into at times. Will read on, and look forward to the movie as well Smile

Yes, Aug 4th. Thumbsup
Oooh, interesting. Will have to check it out.

(11-07-2017 06:43 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I thought "Misery" was a good King adaptation. His books in particular suffer in translation in large part because his strong point as a writer is not plotline, but characterization, which is much harder to convey without access to inner dialogue and 3PO PoV.
Misery is a great movie. Lots of Gasp in that though.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
11-07-2017, 07:14 AM
(11-07-2017 06:43 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I thought "Misery" was a good King adaptation. His books in particular suffer in translation in large part because his strong point as a writer is not plotline, but characterization, which is much harder to convey without access to inner dialogue and 3PO PoV.
Misery was great - I think largely to Kathy Bates. She could scare the piss outta big strong men... Smile

The other adaptations that I thought the best were Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption. Thoroughly enjoyed both...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
11-07-2017, 07:24 AM

I loved The Shining--Jack Nicholson version--not the made for tv version.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
11-07-2017, 07:25 AM
(11-07-2017 07:14 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
Misery was great - I think largely to Kathy Bates. She could scare the piss outta big strong men... Smile

The other adaptations that I thought the best were Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption. Thoroughly enjoyed both...

Yes Shawshank for sure Thumbsup

11-07-2017, 10:09 PM
(11-07-2017 05:22 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 05:12 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Endings have never been his strong point.
HA! I'm not sure when I'd pick up the next one, probably not for a long time, but I did enjoy the first one. I have heard its a bit "up and down" towards the end.

I recently read IT which was pretty good, until the latter few chapters where it goes a bit batshit insane Laugh out load

I actually enjoyed the entire series right up until the ending, where he essentially takes the easy way out by bringing it full circle back to the beginning without actually ending anything. There are a number of minor plot lines that would have made good complete stories on their own, and some really cool characters like Oy.

'Murican Canadian