The Dawkins Scale

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2015, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2015 05:27 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: The Dawkins Scale
(18-08-2015 12:17 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Solipsism says that we can't prove that the universe isn't entirely within our own heads, but that becomes a nonsense statement the moment that you realize the universe does not, ever, behave in any way as though it exists entirely within our minds. The only way it can work is if you completely ignore the definition of "is" and render it semantically useless.

Good example. I'm a 3 on the solipsism scale. And it doesn't ignore the definition of "is" so much as it diminishes it. Makes no practical difference though. Just because I don't believe the game and its players are real don't mean I can't master the rules and beat the shit of your sorry asses. Hell, it probably gives me an advantage other players don't have.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2015, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2015 05:20 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-08-2015 12:26 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  It depends on how we're defining belief here. In this case "belief" applies to anything we feel certain of above 50%.

(18-08-2015 12:50 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Admitting something is more possible than not (above 50%) is a belief, particularly as Dawkins define it.

I seriously doubt that Dawkins defines belief as >50% likelihood. Believing that a lightly biased coin with probability 51% for heads and 49% for tails will show up heads is absurd. That's a naive and simplistic criteria for "belief".

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-08-2015, 04:50 PM
(18-08-2015 04:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 11:52 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Okay, prove it. Show me that Peter Pan does not exist.

Bad example. Peter Pan does exist. I haz teh proofz. ... Or at least he did exist before he hung himself by his belt.
[Image: pan.jpg]

I mean.. I was gonna go the route of showing a picture of peanut butter to prove he existed but okay. You can go that route I guess, it's been a year. Drinking Beverage

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
18-08-2015, 04:51 PM
(18-08-2015 04:50 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 04:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Bad example. Peter Pan does exist. I haz teh proofz. ... Or at least he did exist before he hung himself by his belt.
[Image: pan.jpg]

I mean.. I was gonna go the route of showing a picture of peanut butter to prove he existed but okay. You can go that route I guess, it's been a year. Drinking Beverage

Too soon?

18-08-2015, 05:03 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2015 05:19 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-08-2015 01:11 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Really, the only disagreement that I even have with kingschosen is that knowledge is attainable. What, exactly, the definition of knowledge is is up for discussion, but I would contend that any definition of it which states that you can't have it is useless and needs to be altered.

As long as you discount and dismiss the problem of induction. I don't.

"induction is the glory of science and the scandal of philosophy" - C.D. Broad

18-08-2015, 05:10 PM
(18-08-2015 04:04 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  We can ask one very simple question to find out if someone is a theist or an atheist.

Do you believe that god exists?

Did Spinoza believe God exists?

18-08-2015, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2015 05:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-08-2015 03:20 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Let's get one thing straight, knowledge is a subset of belief therefore knowledge is a belief.

No. Just no. It's not. It's something entirely different from belief.

18-08-2015, 05:28 PM
(18-08-2015 05:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 04:04 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  We can ask one very simple question to find out if someone is a theist or an atheist.

Do you believe that god exists?

Did Spinoza believe God exists?

If we define God as:

1. (in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.

synonyms: the Lord, the Almighty, the Creator, the Maker, the Godhead; More
Allah, Jehovah, Yahweh; (God) the Father, (God) the Son, the Holy Ghost/Spirit, the Holy Trinity; the Great Spirit, Gitchi Manitou; humorousthe Man Upstairs

2. (in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.
(https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=god+definition)

I'm no expert on Spinoza, but it seems to me that he uses the word god differently and uses it interchangeably with nature.

God = nature

As far as I can tell, he's talking about nature, not what we're all talking about, and by our definition of god, he would be an atheist.
18-08-2015, 05:39 PM
(18-08-2015 05:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 03:20 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Let's get one thing straight, knowledge is a subset of belief therefore knowledge is a belief.

No. Just no. It's not. It's something entirely different from belief.

Hmm, seems likes someone is going to have to bend here before we get this point straight... there's a clever geometry joke here somewhere, but I can't find it Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Cozzymodo's post
18-08-2015, 05:54 PM
The Dawkins Scale
I would have to say 7. I know that is technically stepping out on a limb but why wouldn't I believe that there is no God?

I can randomly make up a God and say with certainty that I am a 7 towards it so why shouldn't I feel that way about a God that someone else made up?
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post