The Dawkins Scale

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2015, 08:56 AM
RE: The Dawkins Scale
I don't believe in scales Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
18-08-2015, 08:59 AM
I consider myself to be somewhere between six and seven. I'd say closer to seven than six.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
18-08-2015, 09:12 AM
(18-08-2015 08:44 AM)jennybee Wrote:  A recent post referenced the (Richard) Dawkins Scale. I'm not sure if someone posted this before-so if it's a repeat thread, sorry Big Grin

Where are you on the Dawkins Scale? I was originally a 1, now a 6 (although, lean toward 7). I did make a pit stop at each of the points on my way to 6/7.

[Image: dawkins-scale.png]

What I would be curious to here, is which of the numbers between 4-7, would correspond to a belief God doesn't exist, rather than merely lacking a belief.

As per Dawkins Definitions:

4- Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'

5- Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I don't know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical.'

6- Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not
there.'

7- Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.'

If you're own number correspond to a 6, or low 7, then it would appear you don't merely lack a belief in God, but believe God doesn't exist.
18-08-2015, 09:15 AM
(18-08-2015 08:45 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 08:44 AM)jennybee Wrote:  A recent post referenced the (Richard) Dawkins Scale. I'm not sure if someone posted this before-so if it's a repeat thread, sorry Big Grin

Where are you on the Dawkins Scale? I was originally a 1, now a 6 (although, lean toward 7). I did make a pit stop at each of the points on my way to 6/7.

I would consider myself a 6.99999999.....Drinking Beverage

Yup. this.

The problem I run into with this scale is that when I tell a devout theist that I am a 6.999999... because I don't claim absolute knowledge, they immediately jump on it like it's an "gotcha" moment. The next thing that comes out of their mouth is usually something like "so you admit God COULD exist!!"

It always reminds me of that scene in Dumb and Dumber where Mary tells him his chances are one in a billion or something and he responds with "So, you're saying there is a chance!"

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 7 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
18-08-2015, 09:19 AM
(18-08-2015 09:12 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

What I would be curious to here, is which of the numbers between 4-7, would correspond to a belief God doesn't exist, rather than merely lacking a belief.

4- Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'

5- Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I don't know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical.'

6- Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not
there.'

7- Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.'

If you're own number correspond to a 6, or low 7, then it would appear you don't merely lack a belief in God, but believe God doesn't exist.

The fact claim that there is no God is defined as 7 on the Dawkins scale. Anything less is not making that claim.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
18-08-2015, 09:25 AM
(18-08-2015 09:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 09:12 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  What I would be curious to here, is which of the numbers between 4-7, would correspond to a belief God doesn't exist, rather than merely lacking a belief.

there.'

The fact claim that there is no God is defined as 7 on the Dawkins scale. Anything less is not making that claim.

Number 7 is a 100% certain, and is defined as "knowing there is no God", in which the correspondence would be number 1 on the theist scale. According to Dawkins, theist "believing" falls under the categories less that 1.

So believing God doesn't exist wouldn't be a 7. But if one applies the logic of theists scale to atheists scale, if one falls above the 50% certain part in regards to God's non-existence it falls under belief. If you're a 5 or a 6, you would be a person who believes God doesn't exist, where as if you're a 4 you would merely lack a belief God. A 7 would indicate that you know there is no God.
18-08-2015, 09:28 AM
(18-08-2015 09:25 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 09:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  The fact claim that there is no God is defined as 7 on the Dawkins scale. Anything less is not making that claim.

Number 7 is a 100% certain, and is defined as "knowing there is no God", in which the correspondence would be number 1 on the theist scale. For Dawkins for theist "Believing" falls under the categories less that 1.

So believing God doesn't exist wouldn't be a 7. But if one applies the logic of theists scale to atheists scale, if one falls above the 50% certain part in regards to God's existence it falls under belief. If you're a 5 or a 6, you would be a person who believes God doesn't exist, where as if you're a 4 you would merely lack a belief God. A 7 would indicate that you know there is no God.

Re-read the definitions of 6, 5, and 4; then re-read my post.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
18-08-2015, 09:28 AM
(18-08-2015 09:15 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 08:45 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I would consider myself a 6.99999999.....Drinking Beverage

Yup. this.

The problem I run into with this scale is that when I tell a devout theist that I am a 6.999999... because I don't claim absolute knowledge, they immediately jump on it like it's an "gotcha" moment. The next thing that comes out of their mouth is usually something like "so you admit God COULD exist!!"

It always reminds me of that scene in Dumb and Dumber where Mary tells him his chances are one in a billion or something and he responds with "So, you're saying there is a chance!"

To me at least, I need evidence to support even the possibility- however remote- that God could possibly exist.

I find it pointless to denote even the most remote possibility when there is no need or reason to do so.

As an atheist, when someone says "But you can't prove God doesn't exist," it is an absolutely ridiculous assertion. That's what theists would say, and that is not what an atheist says, and I find this assertion to be completely dishonest.

If something isn't there, and does not find a shred of evidence for support, the most honest position to hold is that it isn't there. Claiming possibilities without evidence is an intellectually dishonest position to hold.

I am 7.0, and I was born this way.

Big Grin

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
18-08-2015, 09:34 AM
I consider this scale to be an orthoganol projection from a higher-dimensional function, projected onto a cross-section of one (unspecified) clear definition of the concept of God. Without knowing which definition of god this scale applies to, I cannot place myself on it. For most definitions, I'm in the 5-7 range. For a literal interpretation of the Christian god, 7, due to logical inconsistency. For slightly more liberal (but more common) interpretations of the Christian god, call me a 6. You could probably rank me at around 6.8 - 6.9 but there's no practical value or precise definition for two significant digits, and for purposes of discussion, intellectual review, and good tactics I think it's better to act like a 6 than a 7.
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
18-08-2015, 09:35 AM
(18-08-2015 09:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 09:25 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Number 7 is a 100% certain, and is defined as "knowing there is no God", in which the correspondence would be number 1 on the theist scale. For Dawkins for theist "Believing" falls under the categories less that 1.

So believing God doesn't exist wouldn't be a 7. But if one applies the logic of theists scale to atheists scale, if one falls above the 50% certain part in regards to God's existence it falls under belief. If you're a 5 or a 6, you would be a person who believes God doesn't exist, where as if you're a 4 you would merely lack a belief God. A 7 would indicate that you know there is no God.

Re-read the definitions of 6, 5, and 4; then re-read my post.

I'm referring to the actual definitions by Dawkins. According to Dawkins anything less than a 100% certain but more than 50% corresponds to a belief.